Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PBF's official offroad thread, post pics, ask questions, talk about off road ****.

i have a question, the only winch i've ever had experience with is a warn winch, but for my cherokee i dont know if i want to fork out a grand for a warn. On ebay i've seen some decent looking ones for as low as $3-400. Does anyone have any experience with these winches?

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Believe me, you'll want the expensive winches if you plan on using it any. The cheaper ones get a bit of mud in them and they break or jam. The motor doesn't last on them either. Warn makes the best from what I have seen. They are great if you go off-roading often, as they will save you a lot of time (no more dragging out the come-alongs, straps and chains). Especially if you go alone a lot. Make sure that you buy one rated for your vehicles weight and have it attached directly to the frame (some people like to attach a hitch to the front and use that, so the winch can be removed). Also, make sure you get a good winch cover.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Right now for off roading and my daily driver is my 87 4runner. It needs new hubs since the stock autolocking ones took a ****, so we're gonna put manual ones on it. It works great, but is definently a fixer upper. I think after my 4runner I want to get a K5 in gloss black and drive around with the top off, or get a jeep wrangler. I want a truck that will be an OK daily driver and off road great. Any other suggestions besides the K5 or Wrangler?

·
Registered
967 Posts
well jeep has always made good off-road vehicles the older cherokees are aweosome the wrangler is sweet rubicon is awesome....liberty sucks. The best overall off-road truck ever is probly the original Bronco and the Bronco II's in the late 80's are excellent off-roading vehicles

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
The Broncos? No way! The late 60's/ early 70's Blazers were. Stronger stock axel with better gearing, more torque, stronger frame, lower center of gravity. I mean, it has gotten to the point where it is hard to find one that hasn't been lifted already they were so great. We used to have three of them, the best IMHO was a '68 that you could remove not just the rear roof, but the cab roof for regular sand riding was fun. It was front wheel/ selectable 4 wheel drive, which is an excellent off-roading combo. It also had a pre-emmissions engine that really "had some balls" to it. The Jeep wranglers love to tip over unless you put wider axels in them and the BII's were simply horrible. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
967 Posts
BII's horrible are you ****ing kidding me? the blazer was a good truck but i would put any BII against it any day and ride circles around you the only draw back to a BII is theres not enough power but 4WD low helps that out alot

Blazer pfft i laugh in your face

:)

·
Registered
778 Posts
ViP_ViPeR said:
BII's horrible are you ****ing kidding me? the blazer was a good truck but i would put any BII against it any day and ride circles around you the only draw back to a BII is theres not enough power but 4WD low helps that out alot

Blazer pfft i laugh in your face

:)
wow just wow :(

·
Registered
967 Posts
im not saying the blazer is a bad truck its fine great off-roader but to say that broncos suck you just showed me that your very biased and that you not opened minded to other vehicles and also im not saying the bronco was the best at everything im saying its a great over all truck theres probly trucks that are better than it in certain areas like mudding or crawling but the bronco is the best overall off-roader IMO and many others

·
Registered
778 Posts
ViP_ViPeR said:
im not saying the blazer is a bad truck its fine great off-roader but to say that broncos suck you just showed me that your very biased and that you not opened minded to other vehicles and also im not saying the bronco was the best at everything im saying its a great over all truck theres probly trucks that are better than it in certain areas like mudding or crawling but the bronco is the best overall off-roader IMO and many others
Full sized Broncos=potential

Bronco II=why bother

K-5 Blazers=much better than all the above.

·
Banned
36 Posts
The BII is definatley NOT the best. Its very skinny, which means its more tipsy. It doesn't have as stong of a drivetrain as the K5. It also doesn't have the motor.

·
Registered
967 Posts
actually the BII isnt that skinny and its very short and not very tall all the time keeping good clearance while the K-5 is big and top heavy your going to see a K-5 roll before you see the BII roll

There are many places the Bronco can go and the blazer cant simply because the blazer is pretty big

The blazer does have the power though but the regular bronco does to and its still smaller than the K-5

·
Registered
778 Posts
ViP_ViPeR said:
ok david tell me why you think the BII is horrible
I know that when the dealership gives me $300 dollars for me to "get it off the road" there must be a problem with.

Other than that they suck at just about everything. Maybe that's why Ford quit making them. As for a K-5 rolling before a Bronco II I laugh. I have seen my share and been in my share of Bronco II rollovers. I have yet to roll or flip any K-5 I have ever driven. Perhaps you should do some research on all the lawsuits brought against Ford. Including from the NHTSA and others. I'm not saying a K-5 won't roll or flip, but its going to take some work.

But if you want to spend lots of money on making a crappy car into a nice stomper, more power to you. It's kind of like taking my mom's minivan and making a dragster out of it. I'm already way far behind.

·
Registered
972 Posts
you guys might find this stupid, but a 1980's suzuki samuri, with 4-6 inch lift, 33s and all lockers do pretty damn good for their size. but as for bronco IIs they just suck ass, my buddies have them, one doesnt have insurance so he pussies out on doing anything and the other will get his dirty as but it gets stuck alot

me- im getting a K-5 like a 85 or so if i can find one for under 2k, which shouldn't be TOO hard to find, but i'll have to buy a lift kit, and no im not doing any body, its going to be all suspension, and expensive at that, then putting some 33's on it or somthing to that affect.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i got a actually, the CJ7's are pretty sweet, gotta get them with v8s though. wish they weren't 8-10 grand or i would buy one, im barely holding onto 1200 bucks right now, next paycheck im hoping i can put atleast 200 into the bank and make it 1400. anyone here going to homecoming? cause its going to gonna cost like 150 bucks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
cj7s most definately do rock my firend has had severalk and he goes on jeep jamborees the first one he had they finished the trails and were heading back and they turned onto a washboard road with a huge drop of the side and the rear end of the jeep tried to pass the front and he fliped it
he said he didnt have power steering and that was wut the prob was cause he couldnt correct fast enough but luckily he didnt go off the edge

1 - 20 of 39 Posts