Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
you get shot around me
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i havnt oiled my 98c since ive gotten it about half a year ago i dont know where to get paintball gun oil and dont know what kind to use are there any lubes like mechanic stuff that i can use that wont eat the seals? also, where do i put the oil in the gun?

thanx 4 ur help thumup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get some firearm oil at Wal-Mart or any sporting goods store that sells gun cleaning accessories. I use Hoppes #9 oil.

Just take the gun apart and oil the bolts, put a drop on each of the pins for the trigger and sear(probably not critical but I do it anyway), and any moving parts. Make sure you get some on every o-ring so they don't dry and crack. Then once you have the gun back together put 3 or 4 drops in the ASA and dry-fire 30 times or so to oil the valve. Do this without the barrel so you don't get oil in the barrel.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
no no! BAD!! No hoppes! It gums up stuff and eat at the o-rings

now that iv'e cleared that up, your sportign goods section shoudl sell paintball oil. That is what you want to use. If you dont' feel liek taking the marker apart, it's perfectly fine to put the oil into your ASA and fire away. The oil will work itself into where it needs to be. Fields who rent them out use this method and it works.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Hoppes is gun oil, no doubt about that.

Tippmann's ship with a little cut-to-open bottle of Hoppes 9.

Yea, gun oil is petroleum based and isn't the best thing ever for O-rings. With that said, my 98C still has the O-rings in it that it left the factory with. It's nearly coming up on 10 years now and despite losing some hammer spring tension, all is well.

Over the years I've used-
Used Hoppes 9, no issues.
Used Hoppes Elite, no issues but I'm pretty sure this is where my white paint job started to turn a little yellow.
I used 3-in-1 a few times because its all I had. Sucks. But no harm done.

Synthetic or oil 'designed' for paintball or general O-ring use will be better, and will be useful with more markers out there.

What do I do now?

Air tool oil, the clear stuff. Some of it is pink and smells like transmission fluid, so the clear and somewhat less scented works out for me. It costs all of about a dollar for a bottle big enough to hand down to your kids when its still half full.

I've been feeding that to the school's fleet of 20 Spyder clones and 10 Tippmann's for three years or so now. No issues aside from the damn bottles always leak when they're not perfectly upright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts