Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on starting a build as money comes along, and the only thing I've really come to a block at is the power supply. Will 350W be enough or should I go with 400W or more?

This is the setup I plan on getting (all in an "average" case without a lot of lights, and probably 3 fans or so):
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Asus A8N-E Motherboard
nVidia 6600GT 128MB PCIe video card
2x512MB DDR ram (PC3200)
Gigabyte CDRW/DVDROM combo drive
Floppy Drive
7200 RPM 80GB SATA II hard drive

I MIGHT overclock by a little bit (yet to be seen) but I don't think I'll have anything else that would drain much power at all. From what I've read I figured I'd need to go with a 400W, but some other things have led me to believe a 350W would do fine.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
The required measure of your power supply really depends on the amound of hard disks and drives, fans, and cpu's you are planning on putting on your computer. A 400w should suit your purposes fine and leave a little room for upgrading later.

Double-check to make sure your motherboard and processor will be compatible on both hard connection and system bus speed. I believe AMD Athlon and Duron use Socket-A connection, but make sure it will fit the motherboard. Be sure that your system bus speed (Usually 533 or 800 Mhz) is compatible with the output on your selected processor.

From your setup, I'm willing to bet that you're going to be using quite a lot of media; If that's the case, you might want to get a little bigger hard drive. Right now I'm running an 80G Western Digital Internal HD with a 120G Seagate External, and I've pretty much filled them both up with pictures, music, games, and backup files.

One more thing, I've had bad experiences with NVidia video cards; I'd recommend a 256mb ATI Radeon over the one you selected, and there shouldn't be too great of a price difference.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
The required measure of your power supply really depends on the amound of hard disks and drives, fans, and cpu's you are planning on putting on your computer. A 400w should suit your purposes fine and leave a little room for upgrading later.

Double-check to make sure your motherboard and processor will be compatible on both hard connection and system bus speed. I believe AMD Athlon and Duron use Socket-A connection, but make sure it will fit the motherboard. Be sure that your system bus speed (Usually 533 or 800 Mhz) is compatible with the output on your selected processor.
I agree that 400W would probably be the safe bet. 350W could do it, but you might as well have some cushion room.

By the way PizzaMilitia, the AMD Athlon/Duron do use Socket-A, but he has an Athlon 64, which means it is either Socket 754 or Socket 939.

-Jin

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
Jinjiro said:
By the way PizzaMilitia, the AMD Athlon/Duron do use Socket-A, but he has an Athlon 64, which means it is either Socket 754 or Socket 939.

-Jin
My bad, It's been a while since I took Computer Engineering.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
PizzaMiLiTiA said:
One more thing, I've had bad experiences with NVidia video cards; I'd recommend a 256mb ATI Radeon over the one you selected, and there shouldn't be too great of a price difference.
i say go with the 6800 or an ati card. i hate the card i got my brother and that was the nvidia 6600 and i know most ati cards are good if you dont use linux(this may not be that true any more i dont know)

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't made a strict decision on a video card yet, but the 6600GT is still what is at the top of the list. I don't want a top of the line card, being that they're hella expensive and I'm not a huge gamer. This will be far from a strictly gaming rig, but when I DO play games I want to have something that will be capable. I was also looking at ATI X700's, which are also cheaper (and then it's like a 50 dollar jump or more to X800's), but I read quite a bit and saw some comparison tests, and after that I decided that the nVidia would be the better card for my money.

As for the hard drive...I don't actually plan on getting that right away. I'm going to use my hella old 30gig for a while before I decide on getting a new one. With my 30 gig it still has a LOT of room (almost half empty) so I don't really see the need of getting anything over an 80gig for me. I'm sure with the extra room I'll store more stuff, but I don't think I'll need bigger than that....and if I do...I could always buy another :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts