Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the late 60's Gto did it but which cars from the sixties, seventies, and eightys threw you back in the seat when it was floored from a dig and you couldn't touch the dash to grab a $100 bill?

Im doing a school project on all the cars that had this "ability" from the factory or with litte modification. Also did the automatic or manual have any effect on it? Also was it mostly tourqe? I know the Trans Am GTA has like 340 lbs of tourqe but idk if it'll do that.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
High Torque (and HP), low gearing, low weight. The old 440 six-pack was great for throwing people back in the seat. ~390hp and ~490 ft-lbs tq stock with 4.10 gears. Chevy's 454 and Ford's 429 would also do the same with ease.

Doesn't mean you need a big block to do that though. A well built 350ci setup will pull very hard in most cars. My mustang, at 281ci with a blower, will throw you back in the seat hard enough that you can't grab the bill. :tup

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
I can tell you right now most cars from the 70s/80s won't do that. Trans Am GTA is weak, and by today's standards, well, we won't go there. Cars from back in the day would be GTOs, Super Bees, Road Runners, 'Cudas, Novas, Chevelles, well you get the point. Mostly every car back then had that ability. It's all about torque and low gearing.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Btw wouldn't bigger gears have a better 0-60 time/1/4 mile time? Why would the smaller/lower gear do this better?

Lower gears (higher numbers; i.e. 4.30's) puts more torque to the ground.

Where as, higher gears (lower numbers; i.e. 3.23's) are better for fuel mileage and top end speed. Less torque being applied to the wheels.

That's only to a point though. If you gear a car too low you'll have to shift way too often to keep it in the power band (think tractor trailers. Low gears and a low revving engine= lots of shifting...even with a literal ton or more of torque)

On the flip side, if you gear a car too high it wont have enough torque to move its own weight, never mind how much HP and torque the engine has.

It's all about finding a balance. Most cars today are geared for fuel mileage. Most cars back then were geared for performance (top speed or 1/4 mile time) or maximum torque.

As far as old cars that throw you back in the seat. Anything on this page (link below) that runs a 13 second quarter mile or better will throw you back in the seat pretty hard at the sweet spot in its gearing. Anything that runs in the 12's or better and you'll have a real tough time grabbing the bill on the dash.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-50fast.shtml

Also, remember that 1973 was about the last year most cars had any muscle. From the late 70's through most of the 80's cars, in general, were real dogs.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
dooms makes a good point. A buddy of mine has a 12.5 camaro, and all he has done is tranny, suspension, and gearing. And yes, it puts you in your seat very hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts