Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cam back from the shooting range.I shot my bros ar-15.......Its crazy!I was scared at first then i shot it.No to little recoil.I loved it but my paintball trigger fingers got my bro angry...bu what i heck.i had fun

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I like ars but have you ever shot an m16 I loved running that on 3 round. our police ofice has one and I have an hour and a half there every day. we go to the range everyonce in a while. those small cal .223s rock. I wish I had one for popping coyots with.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
and can come with much cooler stuff. I shot a freefloating barrel on an ar15 and it was so nice. had the universal sight rail with a police ir sight...very nice. I still like the firing modes. putting an m16 in burst is the greatest.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
i have an ar 15 thats about 25 years old with all the pre ban stuff on it, my dad takes my to an old junkyard in PA every now and then and we shoot huge rats with it

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
They're fun rifles, my rifle coach has a couple competition Bushmasters (which is technically the only version the average civilian can own in NJ). I have shot them as well as his friends M4. Supprisingly in carbine format they have quite a bit of recoil for such a relitively small round. (then again we were shooting NATO spec which is loaded hotter then the average civilian stuff) Personally I would rather have an M-14 for longer range stuff and an MP-5(PDW) or semi-auto shotgun for closer work, but the AR-15/M-16 are a pretty good compromise. By the way, if you think that thing is fun go shoot an MP-5 (specifically in the PDW version) quiet, next to no muzzle rise, compact, uses 9mmX19mm which has some of the best defensive loads ever created especially out of a sub-machine gun, and is just an overall great firearm. Much more fun IMHO. I had the opertunity to shoot one a few years ago and loved it.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I haven't shot an mp5 but would love to. I shot the bushmaster sub. which looks like a normal ar 15 but instead it has 9mm rounds...very compact and awesome. another police firearm. The m14 I shot was awesome. I think thats a better mid range riffle though. I think its a .308 ammo correct. nice fat size. that equive to the .76 something but why not get a rem 700 or m40a1 as a long range rifle. I shot an m40a1 and almost died. that and the 50 cal sniper rifle I shot were by far the coolest felt like a slug gun and was aiming 1000 yards down field soo much nock down force. The cops were shooting milk jugs with water and watermellons...just a fun shoot not like training or log hours. the watermellons are the coolest. splat

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
hehe, .50 BMG is a lot of fun also.....but at about $5 a round it is expensive. I shot a bolt action Barrett and was actually really supprised, the recoil isn't bad at all! Probibly in the top 3 most fun firearms I have shot. Nothing better then a half inch hole at 1000 yards. (well, except making many half inch holes) ;)

Now, I would prefer the M-14 for an all around non-CQC rifle, not just for sniper style shooting, but for what the M-16 is usually used for. The .308 is an excellent long range round, the M-14 has the ability to fire semi/burst/or full auto, it is extremely accurate, very stable, forgiving on dirt, ect, ect. The only bad things about it are it is heavy (which I personally prefer heavy rifles being a competition shooter, but even so the weight can be reduced with polymer) and the ammunition is heavy meaning you can't carry as many rounds as the .223, but in most situations I would prefer the added power. After all, if you fire 5 rounds of .308 and 15 rounds of .223 and only one of those hits its target who wouldn't pick the much more powerfull .308?:)

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
speaking of guns, dooms, my friend is buying a 20 or so acre property house soon, and him and his dad said that they will go hunting and shooting skeet alot, do you know any guns that are good for shooting skeet? i know very little bout guns, so help me out.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Well, technically AR-15 was the name of Armalites original production version of their prototype (the one from Stoner the military tested), then after Colt began production AR-15 came to mean semi-auto (usually refering to Law Enforcement carbine models) and M-16 refers to the full auto military model (as in the M16-A1), 3-round burst models (as in the A2/A3/ and now A/4), M-4 refers to the carbine model of the M-16 which again is offered in many A# forms. Usually in civilian terms AR-15 is used to refer to a semi-auto M-16 and AR-15 Carbine (CAR-15) or M4gery (non-Colt) to refer to a semi auto M4, however it seems nowadays AR-15 is used for any varient by the usual non-gun savy people. A little lesson on firearms for ya.:)

NYY, that depends on a few things. First, price range? Second, what gauge and action do you want? Is it for you or him(im guessing for you)? The shotguns that most beginners should look at are the .410 bore, 28 gauge, and 20 gauge. The larger 16 and 12 gauge guns are usually bigger, heavier, ect making them harder for smaller guys or beginners to handle and swing properly, but with light loads the recoil is usually fine. Now, for the action: break open is the simplest action and probibly the most common used for skeet shooting/fowl hunting....however they only hold one or more commonly two rounds. Pump actions and semi-autos can be loaded with more (im not sure of the max now in NJ, it keeps changing, I think it is 3 in the magazine 1 in chamber). However, pump and autos are a more complicated design and usually are more sensative to the ammo used. (A semi wouldn't usually like light loads and a pump may jam with some cheaper less uniform ammunition).

So basically:
How much do you want to spend?
What kind of action do you like?
What do you want it to be chambered in?
(also if you are getting 20 or up do you want to to be able to chamber magnum shells which are longer, more powerfull versions)
How long a barrel do you want? (around 26 inches is usually best)
Here is a pretty good page to look at:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/first_shotguns.htm

I would suggest going with someone who shoots skeet to shoot with them, that way you can see whay you like and can handle. It is hard to tell what you like if you don't get a general idea of whats out there.

·
Banned
2,855 Posts
I shot a M82 Barret, CAR-15, remi 700 and a bunch of others, but my favorite is the M1 Garand. I'd take that thing to Iraq with my any time

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you want some fun and reload and have a m-16 with a super fast twist like 1 in 8. use a 55 grain ballistic tip bullet. at like 10-15 yards its a shotgun. fun to shoot papper plates and have nothing left

1 - 19 of 19 Posts