Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

say hello to the newest memebers of my family.

it all started off yesterday.

I had my final day of court where I signed off on the charges figuring I couldn't do better. I payed off the fines and restitution and was glad.

Then I called my army recruiter and said...lets do this. So I fill out all my paper work over a couple hours and have every thing done that needs to be done before I go in for processing.

One thing that I am still working on is getting my references and people who will say nice things about me when the army decides to ask. I stop by the Okoboji police department and announce to a few officers that I had riden with for 6 months of school how things turned out and they were all very happy...I was the good guy even though I got stuck with charges.

So Im talking to the officer who really got me into guns. and his brother is right there. the officer is the area swat team coordinator and Ive been to the range with him ALOT. His brother who is also a cop hears me mention that I needed to run to another town to see what the gun shop there would offer on my bushmaster Vmatch ar15. he perked up and started asking what I was looking for. I said handguns and optics is about it...next to cash.

I told him I wanted an XD40 from springfield because I had gotten quiet a bit of range time in with it and I liked it more than other handguns I had used ...was much nicer than most of the glocks used and I actually liked the feel better then the 1911 and kimber I had shot.

he said he had one with about 200 shots through it which I had seen at the shooting range before. I asked if he wanted to look over the rifle.

short story long...He liked the rifle alot. offered me a SW P99 .40 subcompact and his XD40 straight up.

more than I was expecting. we agreed and all was good.

he got home and called me back with a very pissed off tone..(I was afraid he had broken my rifle.) He found out his wife sold the XD40 thinking it was one of hers. and he was very appologetic wondering if it would be ok for him to order a new one and have it in a few days..I didn't complain

so I got a brand spanking new springfield XD40 in .40 with 2 high cap(12round) mags and a Smith and Wesson P99 .40 subcompact...made me very very happy.

Now I just need to get my CCW and im set.

there will be pics up when it comes in.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
sweetness

iv's never really had the opportunity to shoot that many handguns, but would definatly like to have something along those lines

really liking the XD 40

love the lohan "drop'n it like its hott" vid too

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't buy them because they look cute...I bought them because they are nice.

the SW I have only shot once and seemed kinda small for me. I like small handguns but that thing is very small...smaller than the glock 26 from my point of view.

I agreed to it because I can carry that subcompact as a concieled and carry weapon without too much of a weight on me.

I love the XD40 and that was good enough a deal to not turn down from a guy I knew would treat the guns right.

the SW will operate just however well you use it. it has a very short barrel so it can only be expected of so much.

Ill give a complete range report with pics and vids when both are in.

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
You havn't by any chance shot a 9mm XD have you? I've heard the ergonomics on the whole XD series are supposed to be wonderful.

·
Registered
364 Posts
On a cycling forum I frequent there is another compact pistol that is quite popular with the riders there.(Yes you read that right, cyclists are packing heat. Not the best idea IMO)

Anyway, I thought it was from H&K or something like that. It has a polymer frame, I know that much.(lol, narrows it down about 3%)

If I were to start shooting what kind of handgun would you suggest? My grandfather likes to shoot and I'm thinking I may be interested. He has a Colt .45 from his military days(I can't believe that thing still works...) and some sort of 12gauge shotgun.

This would just be for plinking, I don't plan on entering competitions or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
ImagineUser said:
On a cycling forum I frequent there is another compact pistol that is quite popular with the riders there.(Yes you read that right, cyclists are packing heat. Not the best idea IMO)

Anyway, I thought it was from H&K or something like that. It has a polymer frame, I know that much.(lol, narrows it down about 3%)

If I were to start shooting what kind of handgun would you suggest? My grandfather likes to shoot and I'm thinking I may be interested. He has a Colt .45 from his military days(I can't believe that thing still works...) and some sort of 12gauge shotgun.

This would just be for plinking, I don't plan on entering competitions or anything like that.
Go to a range where you can rent pistols to see what you like before you put money down on one.

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
For strictly plinking, the Sig Sauer Trailsides are great. I cannot speak highly enough of them. A great, accurate, sturdy .22 plinker. I could go more in depth, but I'm sleepy, and I just wanted to get my two cents in. I have used it for almost a year now, works great. A little expensive for a plinker, but in my opinion if your looking for an extremly accurate .22LR , this is it.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
these are my first real hand guns. the others were just plinkers.

you are talking about the HK usp its also a very nice handgun.

Ive heard the same thing about cyclists. my older brother is really into touring and he has his CCW but im not sure if he carries while riding or not. I know if I was touring on a motorcycle I sure as hell would.

Ill give you 300 for the colt .45 :)

Ive shot the .40 and the 9 on the XD and liked both. the .40 has just that much more punching power so thats what I went after. Plus seeing both are the same calibre I can just buy bulk ammo.

all i can say as far as starting out shooting and you want a handgun I would think you should get a firm base with a rifle first.

I know it might sound pansy to a hardened ganksta like some of you guys but I still shoot brick after brick of .22 ammo. Its the cheapest stuff to shoot anymore and can be alot of fun to shoot on the range. You gain alot of the skills you need later on with more advanced guns. it also teaches you discipline in cleaning. a dirty gun is a possible break down and thats no good.

I would suggest a .22 with what ever you get just so that the gun itself will be somewhat cheap and you can actually afford to feed it.

Right now for my AR15 it is 200 (approx) bucks for 1000 rounds of x855 ammo. that .223 or 5.56. that gets expensive and that the cheap cheap stuff.

on the other hand you can go out and buy a brick or 500 rounds of the cheap .22 ammo for a couple bucks. much better deal. Ive actually thought about getting a .22 kit for my AR just so I can unload and not care.

Alot of guys will tell you the same stuff.
------------

if on the other hand you are already shooting and have a firm base and you wanna get something a little nicer a little bigger. then 9mm is a solid round. it can do damage and will help if you are being attacked but its not the best stopper out. it is cheaper though so you can shoot more for less which is always a plus.

A major thing is feeling each gun. I fell in love with the XD the second I held it because the grip fit me just right. Its the most comfortable gun for me. This is insanely important with handguns in my eyes. if im not comfortable with it even if I have shot it alot I just won't shoot the same groups as if I like the way it feels.

try hitting a local gun range on a nice sunny day or an indoor handgun range and just ask around see what people like. ask if you can hold the firearm without shooting. if they are nice they will let you shoot. otherwise you can tell if you like the ballance and grips.

·
Registered
364 Posts
lol Bubba, my grandfather has gotten alot of offers for the Colt, he isn't selling. It's more than a gun for him, a momento of the past you know? He says he wouldn't sell it for all the money in the world, even if it was broken.

I have no real base in shooting. Most of the stuff I have shot are pistol-grip style shotguns designed for rapid fire. Those things hurt, the first time I shot one it wasn't seated correctly and I ended up with a huge bruise. Strangely enough, I actually prefer shooting a shotgun, I think it's the sight of seeing whatever your shooting at kind of disappear after you pull the trigger:)

I'll try to get out to the range with my grandpa soon. Most of the guys out there are good friends so I'm sure they will let me handle their guns.

Shooting .22 sounds good. Affordable is a major factor right now, and I could care less about being "gangsta". If I want, I'm figuring I could always get a larger gun when I get a job.

I'm not concerned about getting a gun for self defense purposes as I don't think I'm in terrible danger of getting attacked. Maybe some other day, I know my uncle has a CCW license and he carrys almost 100% of the time. I'm not that comfortable around guns yet and being 16 I don't think I could get a CCW license anyway.

thanks again for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
at 16 you cant get a CCW. youll have to wait untill 18. Its good to like shot guns and they are generally a good bet for use in your home if someone was to break in and mean harm for you and your family. I would suggest shooting alot of skeet. its a skill you can use alot if you hunt. I hunt pheasent alot and love doing it so its all good to train.

I was joking on the colt I never expected to get it. Its sad to think that people might have a classic firearm and not even know it.

alot of people aren't gonna be able to rent a handgun. there isn't a place in several hours in any direction that you can rent here. and even if you do think of pball rentals? not normally the best thing to use.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tarus from the one gun I shot was below standard. remember thats only one gun so you are getting just what I say from one experiance. the action seemed very rough to me it didn't fit my hands well and it just seemed cheaply made.

The guy who let me shoot it told me not to buy one. in 500 rounds through the handgun he had to replace the polymer pins in the frame. TWICE.

I would steer clear of taurus.

prophet you are an ass. don't rain on my parade or I will kick your teeth in.
The ballistics for the .40 SW is better then the 9mm and is comparable WHEN USING THE RIGHT AMMO to the .45 acp. Using decent ammo that has good smash up value and that will mushroom will you will have just as deap and just a open a wound as the .45....I would feel most comfortable with a standard velocity .40 S&W JHP 165 round. or a .40 gold tip. I have 13 50 round cases of the sw 165 jhp on its way.

if you are pretending that the 9mm is better than thats just an all around joke. the 9 round will pentrate wall better than the .40 and .45 and yet won't do as good of dammage on a actuall target. Ive actually seen balistic tests of a 9mm round penitrating more walls than a .223 round and thats pathetic seeing as many many people use handguns for self defense.

D

·
0 Posts
if i got a pistol it would be bigger and meaner
but i know nothing about guns.. so.. um, right on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts