Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dude I know is in trouble and lookin to sell off some toys. He has a 98 crown vic interceptor with 135,xxx miles. Runs decent missing a little not real bad and needs shocks. I drove it tonight and it drove pretty decent, didn't quite have the get up and go from a stop that I thought it would, oh and the A/C works too. He is wanting $1000 and will let me do like $400 down and finance the rest to me.

So does this seem like a decent deal? Any known problems or things I need to look for?

Sucker is fast too hit 130 on the interstate in it, lol.:cool:

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't have the push bumper on it but I know where I can get one for free :)

Are you talkin about the light bar on the roof?

I figure I will make my own blues mobile if I get it.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I'd buy it. Those cars often see 200,000+ with few issues and being a full frame car they're pretty solid.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
I'd rock it. I wouldn't mind giving some of my friends a much-needed scare by showing up with just the parking lights on.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
I actually wouldn't really recommend used cop cars to anyone. Chances are that 100k + miles was put on in less than 2 years and police often abuse their cars pretty bad.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I actually wouldn't really recommend used cop cars to anyone. Chances are that 100k + miles was put on in less than 2 years and police often abuse their cars pretty bad.
Generally though, they cars have impeccable maintenance and mileage records. Often police departments are required to rebuild or replace a lot of things on them before they sell them too (engine, trans, suspension, brakes, ect). The Crown Vics are full frame cars as well, so unless the frame is tweaked it's hard to kill them. For the price I would take one over a unibody car that has the same mileage without any kind of records.

When you buy a used cop car though you have to look at where it's from. You want a small town with good roads. I would never buy, say, a NYC car.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
Generally though, they cars have impeccable maintenance and mileage records. Often police departments are required to rebuild or replace a lot of things on them before they sell them too (engine, trans, suspension, brakes, ect). The Crown Vics are full frame cars as well, so unless the frame is tweaked it's hard to kill them. For the price I would take one over a unibody car that has the same mileage without any kind of records.

When you buy a used cop car though you have to look at where it's from. You want a small town with good roads. I would never buy, say, a NYC car.

Agreed. Most police departments have great maintenance on their cars. For example CHP has a full garage at every office just to fix them, my comment just relates to the fact that they are often very abused when on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts