Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
emachines support is the WORST. SUPPORT. EVER. I need to know what kind of processor I can stick into this computer without any problems with bios or anything else. its an emachines w3650 pc, and currently installed from factory is a celeron 440, 2ghz socket 775 processor. I need to know what Kind of dual core I can stick into it without any problems. I also need to know, If I buy ram, as long as its 663mhz, pc2-5300 ddr2 1gb sticks (thats all the mobo supports per slot) it will work, right? higher or lower CAS latency? Graphics card? cheap, but good for lower demanding games (battlefield vietnam, stuff like that)

Thanks for the help guys, emachines blows.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Yeah, it'll work (RAM) and for the socket, just whichever dual core processor is a socket 775 will work
Not entirely true. You need to make sure the BIOS can handle dual core processing, first. If it can't, you may need to either find a new MOBO or flash the BIOS. search around the web, make sure the motherboard itself (IE Bios) can handle dual core, and also check for the max cap on the memory for the motherboard.

Better to take the extra hour or so to look it up and learn than to spend the moolah on a processor only to find out it doesn't work.

Also, check out Newegg.com for computer parts, yeah i'm adding for them for free, but from what i've seen they either have the best prices or pretty damn close, plus pretty good customer service to boot.

Edit: did not read OP entirely, lower latency is better (4-4-4 beats 5-5-5). As for graphics card, you can pick up a cheap 8000 or 9000 series nvidia (8800's are $$$, you can go slightly lower than the top-o-the-line and still save some major bucks), just make sure you have a pci express x16 slot/make sure your card fits your available slot.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, but almost every motherboard can handle dualcore. Mine is like 2 years old, and it cost like 35 bucks and it could handle dual core, I am sure the emachines one can too, but next time, go for a better brand, or for a barebone kit, it'll get you quality parts for dirt cheap

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Typically motherboards from computer manufacters like dell or emachine have the bios setup to only accept certain amounts of ram or certain processors. I wanted to do something similar to my dell (socket 775) going from a pentium D to a core 2 duo only to find out through some google searching and forums that you can't stick in any newer socket 775 processor onto the board and get it to work.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, but almost every motherboard can handle dualcore. Mine is like 2 years old, and it cost like 35 bucks and it could handle dual core, I am sure the emachines one can too, but next time, go for a better brand, or for a barebone kit, it'll get you quality parts for dirt cheap
first, im in college, and I bought it as an emergency computer because I owe people like $3500 dollars, so the 300 dollar emachines was perfect for what I needed it most for: schoolwork. now that break is here, I just want it to push a lil more speed. If worst comes to worst, I could just up the heatsink and OC it, I just don't know how well the MOBO or the Processor will take it, especially an emachines mobo, which are known to be junk. I'll eventually buy 2 sticks of ram, bringing it to a grand total of 2gb. not bad for a cheap ass emachine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts