Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take for paint to biodegrade while in your ear canal? Hell, I have some antibiotic to ward of ear infection but half my head is swollen up and it hurts like hell. I was wearing a mask and all, but I got hit pretty well and my ear was loaded with paint.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yeah you should get that checked out. Ive been shot in my ear and nothing bad has ever happened besides a ear full of paint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I did see a doctor, thats how I got antibiotics. I'm wondering if my ear infection has nothing to do with bacteria and theres just paint festering in my ear. The stuffs kind of biodegradable, I think, maybe not enough though.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Maybe you have a piece of the shell lodged deep in your ear and its irritating the inside of your ear.

But I'm no doctor :shrug:

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
I am sure that in order for the doc to diagnose an ear infection he looked inside your ear with an otoscope. At that time he would have said if you had paint in your ear or not. I am suspecting not. Generally, an ear infection is in your inner ear behind the tympanic membrane (otitis media) so paint in your ear canal will not do anything to aggrivate an inner ear infection. You just need to take the antibiotics as prescibed to get rid of it. Taking tylenol or ibuprofen will help with the pain.

However, if you have an external ear canal infection such as Otitis Externa (aka Swimmer's ear) then the paint would be a factor. However, the treatment there is generally not antibotiocs, rather a steriod eardrop known as cortisporin is used.

If you are worried about it, one way to safely wash your ear canal is to get into a hot shower, gently grab the lobe of your ear and pull down, and then allow the warm water to fill your ear and rinse it out. Other wise gently flush your ear with warm water using a bulb syringe. NEVER try to clean your ears with q-tips, as all they do is jam the earwax farther back into the ear canal.

Anyway - at anyrate, of course if you are concerned about your health you should consult a licensed physician of your choice to re-evaluate the problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
MedicDVG said:
I am sure that in order for the doc to diagnose an ear infection he looked inside your ear with an otoscope. At that time he would have said if you had paint in your ear or not. I am suspecting not. Generally, an ear infection is in your inner ear behind the tympanic membrane (otitis media) so paint in your ear canal will not do anything to aggrivate an inner ear infection. You just need to take the antibiotics as prescibed to get rid of it. Taking tylenol or ibuprofen will help with the pain.

However, if you have an external ear canal infection such as Otitis Externa (aka Swimmer's ear) then the paint would be a factor. However, the treatment there is generally not antibotiocs, rather a steriod eardrop known as cortisporin is used.

If you are worried about it, one way to safely wash your ear canal is to get into a hot shower, gently grab the lobe of your ear and pull down, and then allow the warm water to fill your ear and rinse it out. Other wise gently flush your ear with warm water using a bulb syringe. NEVER try to clean your ears with q-tips, as all they do is jam the earwax farther back into the ear canal.

Anyway - at anyrate, of course if you are concerned about your health you should consult a licensed physician of your choice to re-evaluate the problem.
qft... even tho i didnt understand most of those big words...

·
Registered
275 Posts
i took a similar shot recently....had two puncture wounds and irritation on my eardrum and my doctor gaved me a drop that was suppose to help it heal

just out of curiosity what kind of mask were you wearing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a rental mask, I have a freakishly large head so it probably didn't cover my ear well enough. I'm definitely going to buy my own mask next time I play because this is awful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: I have a terrible infection of the inner and outer ear canal. So much pressure was placed on my eardrum that I had to go to the hospital last night, where I was promptly given heavy painkillers. My eardrum isn't ruptured, but the membrane is torn in several places, so I'm probably going to have permanent hearing loss. I don't think im going to play paintball for a few months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts