Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Also, Toxix, I love the idea of this helping out search and rescue guys and maybe saving some lives! Would be one of the only cooler things than paintball.

Would the discussed improvements make it good enough for that? Do you think I should talk to anyone about developing it with this intention/does something like this not already exist for you guys?

For real though, thanks for being crazy enough to run into fires, I'v always felt safe knowing that some fearless men and women are willing to sweat or worse to save me or my siblings.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
We have GPS units, but they are expensive and are used so little that the batteries are usually dead(so they are usually not used or thought about. Many rural departments will not have the funds to buy one, so something like this anyone could obviously have on their phone. Just on scenes I have been a part of, I can think of at least 7 or 8 times I could have used it this year. Our town is becoming a "trail town", so we will see more trails and hiker/bikers/kayakers in the near future. So we could use it even more in the future.

If you build it for paintball with the improvements mentioned and the drone like tracking , you can just swap the images and rename some stuff and it will be perfect. I would focus on the paintball first, because it will be harder to do. After its complete, the rescue swap should be smooth and easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I bet it would be faster to not have to grab the GPS to, because most people will already have their phones nearby. I'm talking to one of my friends about a wearable fire/element resistant case that might make it even more useful.

The app should all have a high value target feature now (it took a few days for google to post it), and we are already halfway done with an improved version of it that will be simpler and will clean up the now cluttered options menu in the map view. I'll hopefully put that up Sunday. Possibly with the objectives/missions menu I have been figuring out. I'm going to have to do the movement path in a different way than with the drone to keep the transmission size small, but we already thought of a solution that will work better.

·
Unregistered User
561 Posts
Hey Scenario Players,

Our team, PC Paintball, has just launched a Free android app, called TacMap, which is pretty much a video games mini map but in real life.

It displays the GPS location of all your teammates on a satellite image, allowing you to easily find your battle buddies on unknown fields. You can change your symbol and mark enemy positions simply by touching the map! No more just shouting over the radio, let your team see with their own eyes.

Check it out by searching TacMap or "Scenario Paintball" on the Google Playstore, or by clicking this link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mysqltest.exaple.com.mysqltest

We appreciate all feedback, which can be sent to [email protected]. Tacmap is made by college students and any advice you give on how to improve the app will be rapidly implemented, though lots of new features are already on the way:
Navigation
Drone Control
Text Messaging
And more!

Please note that PC paintball is careful about your privacy. All your location and CallSign data is destroyed when you logout.

We will be giving demos at Battle of Hoth at Blastcamp and Living Legends at CPX!

Enjoy,

The PC Paintball crew wave:

Will you ever put this on IOS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, have no fear it is coming! I currently plan to have a working IOS application by Living Legends in May, though it may still be in beta at that time. I just ordered a semi old MacBook (Apple refuses to let people develop for their devices on a non apple product) and while we wait we are researching how to quickly make the app for Iphone. I'm more worried about the laptop being slow than anything else since all the scripts/infrastructure for securely moving the location and team information has already been developed. I'm really spoiled by the Desktop that the android app was developed on. But I'v always felt that Macs age better than their PC counter parts so it should be fine.

Apple terms of service also do not allow applications that control UAVs, so some of the really cool upcoming features will be Android only unfortunately. But they don't even allow first strike rounds at some scenario games(ehem LL) so I doubt that not having drone control will be an issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
WOW! That EVS is EPIC. I wonder how much it is going to cost? If it has its own computer, probably at least 500.

I will definitely look into adapting the app for that specific android system. It probably won't be too difficult either, just need to display a different, non satellite, map.

I am curious why empire decided to go with a full computer in their mask. My phone, a galaxy S4, has hdmi out. It would be megasick to just be able to use my 6 dollar hdmi out cord from my phone and plug it into their Heads up Display, without having to buy a stupid computer. Then I wouldnt even need to change the app.

Empire will have some reps at a scenario game some of my buddies and I are going to on the 13th of February. I'll talk to them then!

Thanks for showing me this!

And a note on the app, the update for showing and adding objectives will be up this weekend. You can set a time for the objective to be active for, put a short description and the point value of the objective. So it should be useful for making sure everyone on a team knows what to be doing, besides just spraying paint at the enemies.

Cheers and thanks for making me super jealous of anyone who will get that mask! :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts