Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a paintball gun and I love to snipe. I previously owned an airsoft sniper rifle and I loved it except there isn't many airsoft places nearby where I live. This is why I want to get a paintball gun. I came here because I do not know much about paintball, and all the guns look the same to me except the price. I have around $200 currently and I can't spend more that 300 all together. What gear would you guys recommend me? I would need a helmet, C02 tank, marker, everything. If this is not possible, at least a medium range marker would be nice too. I don't like speedball, but i like the woods scenarios and things of that nature. Thanks for the help in advance.

Luca

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
There is no barrel out or marker out that will let you shoot farther distances than others and still have paint break on people. The only way to shoot farther is to shoot faster than is allowed, and that gets dangerous. 300 fps is the fastest any place will let you shoot.

Now, with that being said, does your opinion change, or would you still like advice on how to get all the camo and what-not to be kinda like a "sniper"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me rephrase. I want a paintball gun that is decent in range. I don't want to have shoot at a target 50 feet away shooting upwards.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sniping can be a sore subject in paintball sometimes, so be prepared for that. Many new players will decide to become "snipers" because they imagine getting a marker with enough range and accuracy that they can stay in back and take out players on the other team without risking being hit. Because getting hit hurts. True paintball sniping means moving as far forward as quickly as possible at the beginning of the game and putting yourself into position to ambush the other teams players. It's more of a close range game, many of the "snipers" that I know use pump guns. Also in wooded fields the tree branches and undergrowth don't often give you a long shot. For sniping I'd recommend something with a shorter overall length, with darker colors. camo if possible. I'd also recommend a camo jumpsuit. You can get camo masks, but I used a mesh headsock over mine and I had refs who lost track of where I was. I've heard goggleskins work well too, but I haven't used one myself. Good luck and welcome to the sport.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Thats not going to happen, sorry to say :(

Paintball guns have no hopup to compensate for gravity, so as soon as a paintball leaves a barrel, gravity will start to take effect and bring it down. Granted, you might not have to aim MUCH higher, but you will most likely need to point your marker up a bit.

There are 2 barrels that have the hopup effect on paintballs, but the added distance you get will just have the paintball bounce off and not break.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
They all seem to be near the same price. Which one would be the best out of those for my needs and good for beginners? Also I could not find the bushmaster gun.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Depends on what you want, and the Bushmaster is discontinued, thats why they're so cheap, you would buy one used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm looking for a CO2 gun because I have no idea where to fill up those compressed air guns. Also I was looking at the 98 custom. Is that any good?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Long, heavy, recently, drop in quality.

VS1, SP1, or Vibe is what you're looking for.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
VS1 is your best bet.

Have to get out of the airsoft mentality on this one, there's a unified FPS limit, not the engagement range restrictions common to airsoft.

I just got back from a scrimmage today, had a lot of fun. Our team just got a support gunner(m249 para) and our sniper finally has his rifle functional at about 475fps...

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
A good feedneck. CCM is top of the line quality and not much more expensive. Chipley's(CCM) has always made great stuff. I'd get there No-pro or no-rise neck. It replaces the worst part of the vertical body spyder design, that stupid plastic adapter.

Grab yourself a good hopper of course. A vlocity JR. will last you through several guns, and at 100$ is a brilliant value. The next step down would be a VL eyeforce. Avoid the evolution like the plague, the eyeforce is a better hopper and is cheaper

Getting anti-siphon tubes in your CO2 tanks is a worthwhile investment, but not a high priority.

other than that.....buy a good set of goggles, paint, and go have fun. If the gun has deficiencies, upgrade them, but don't worry to much.

One thing you may want to look into is the home mods at ottercustoms. Easy to do and they're very useful.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
And don't forget the J&J Ceramic barrel for the best under $50!!!
(can't believe you forgot about the barrel Aggie!!! ;))

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Cause I don't really think the barrel is that much of an upgrade. I honestly have never seen juch difference, except cosmetic...

I guess I'm just contrary, but a barrel is a barrel to me....it's what it weighs and what it looks like that matters.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
I've seen the VS series barrels do amazing things (in a bad way), thats why I suggested the barrel

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Didn't say it was a bad suggestion, just not high on my list of must haves. ;)

Although I have to admit for 15$ or so the J&J does seem to be a really nice little barrel. It looks nice to boot so..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Personally I would go with the SP Vibe because you get more firing modes, a lower operating pressure, it comes with a no rise neck so that saves you some money, it has a low force bolt, Ion internals which means you can make your gun epiphany level (upped Ion which is an upped Vibe), it's SMART PARTS a very good manufacturer, its matte black for your mil/sim and woods ball, it has the max-flo R Regulator for HPA or Co2 and it's an electropnuematic, which sounds complicated but it is easier to disassemble that the blow backs and much more accurate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts