Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm thinking of starting paintball and there's just one thing that concerns me, how bad it hurts. I'm 14 years old, skinny, weak, and i'm not that tough. I just want to know what getting hit with a paintball is compared with. My friends that play it say that it hurts really really bad, but what does it compare to? What can I do to hurt myself that will simulate getting shot with a paintball at 300 fps. Is it a pain that will make me cry, or will it just make me want to jump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is kind of unexplainable, not that I've played that much but I know what getting hit feels like. I just wear a tshirt, longsleeve, and hoody. For lower body I wear shorts under jeans. Unless you're really a wimp or get hit point-blank in the head, you shouldn't cry.

·
Crafty Vet of Nutball
100 Posts
wear loose clothes it wont hurt that bad...

it will sting but its mostly just a shock when it hits you the first time... yes you will jump

·
Registered
108 Posts
i just wear athleic shorts and a t-shirt, and my only problem is it hurts like crazy trying to slide and scraipnig my knees. you can also go out and buy a pair of pants and jersey and it wont hurt in the least bit. Ive been hit at a little under 500fps before ("accidentally"), and it didnt hurt that bad. i cant really think of anything to simulate it except maybe letting one of your fiend shoot you once (dont forget a mask)(and maybe a cup as well) then you can decide what to wear. Thats i what i did before the first time i played.

·
Registered
58 Posts
C'mon now, it doesn't hurt that bad. Seriously, it's like a quick sting and then it goes away. You've got so much adrenaline pumping inside of you most of the time, that you only feel the impact and no pain. I've been shot in the back of the head, in the neck, on my trigger finger (fingerless gloves on), my arms, by legs, etc etc etc. None of them REALLY hurt, but just gave me a quick sting. Now I do not mean it feels like a bee sting OK? Bee stings hurt alot more than a paintball sting. Chances are that you will feel it enough to know that you've been hit, but you definately won't shed any tears over it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Domino5,

I would suggest wearing layers if you can. I am not sure where you live, but hopefully it isn't very hot there yet. I play with jeans, sweatshirt, and a pair of military fatigues over top. Camo military fatigues are thick nylon and they take a good bit of the speed out of the paintball before it hits you. It still hurts, but it only REALLY hurts on bare skin or thin clothing. Getting hit in the hands, fingers, neck and groin are worst case scenarios. Make sure you wear good gloves, since getting shot in the hands can easily happen.

If I had to compare the pain of a paintball hitting you with bare skin, it is kind of like getting a good slap with a 12 inch ruler. It stings and hurts for a few seconds, but usually the adrenaline in your body is kicking and it takes a lot of the residual pain out of it. We had about six girls from our church go for their first time a month ago, and they were hit lots of times. They didn't like it, but they didn't cry, nor did they quit the games. They were thin girls, and not the tough biker chicks or anything.

Just go out and have fun. And whatever you do, DON"T go look up people getting shot with paintballs on youtube. It will freak you out and you will not want to play. A few of my friends bailed on the game when they saw some videos.

Getting hit by a paintball at 75 feet hurts a lot less then getting blasted at 10 feet. At my paintball field, people are supposed to give you the option of surrendering if they are within 10 feet of you. If you surrender, you walk off the field and they don't shoot you. If you don't surrender, they will light you up and it will hurt like a B**ch.

Good luck!

·
394 Posts
Domino5,

Getting hit by a paintball at 75 feet hurts a lot less then getting blasted at 10 feet. At my paintball field, people are supposed to give you the option of surrendering if they are within 10 feet of you. If you surrender, you walk off the field and they don't shoot you. If you don't surrender, they will light you up and it will hurt like a B**ch.

Good luck!
If you have a paintball gun your going get ****ed up, no one surrenders anybody. If I saw someone attept to surrender someone, I would laugh my ass off. Also why surrender when you can turn and shoot them?

I see it like everyone else does, if you are on the other team your going to get painted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth, I played last weekend with my friend's 11 year old cousin- he got shot in square in the back from 15 feet... he took it well, though- wanted to sit out a game, but then got right back in.

Also- after you take a couple shots, it seems to not hurt nearly as much.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
First time hurts like a mother.....it gets better form there.

12 years later and you cuss occasionally when one hits you in the hand or the tender part of your sides......other than that you shrug it off as normal...

I play, and ref, in shorts and a shirt all the time...you just honestly get use to it and adapt. I tell everyone that comes up worried "you'll either get hit and never play again, or realize it's not so bad and have a great time".

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
I dont' remember my first time. I went in realizing it would hurt and never thought twice about it. the only real first bad experience is when i got shot in the mask in front of my mouth. YUCK! I about threw up. I definately did not expect hat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
well it doesnt hurt that bad....but dont do what i do...to see how bad it hurts i put my thumb like a foot away from the barrel and fired....lol it went numb and hurt a little...(but still not bad enough to cry)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Are your friends Pballers? IMHO, getting hit with a paintball does not entail some sort of unimaginable pain. There are so many other things out there that hurt more. I used to play Airsoft, and that hurt alot more than paintball. My SR-16 Assault Rifle (Airsoft Gun my Tokyo Marui) would shoot at 474 FPS. Now that hurt! I actually made people bleed if hit at a close enough range on a softer part of the body (ie neck). Paintball comes nowhere near that sort of pain. Granted, some people can get welts from getting hit in the neck, but wear a neck protector and you'd be fine. If people can run around without all the protective chest plates and junk, how bad can it really be? Think about this: If it hurt so bad, would millions be out there every day getting hit with them? I mean, seriously, getting hit with a tennis ball hurts more. Actually, I just thought of a comparison. Have a friend shoot you with a rubberband - to me, it mostly feels like that.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Domino5,

I would suggest wearing layers if you can. I am not sure where you live, but hopefully it isn't very hot there yet. I play with jeans, sweatshirt, and a pair of military fatigues over top. Camo military fatigues are thick nylon and they take a good bit of the speed out of the paintball before it hits you. It still hurts, but it only REALLY hurts on bare skin or thin clothing. Getting hit in the hands, fingers, neck and groin are worst case scenarios. Make sure you wear good gloves, since getting shot in the hands can easily happen.
I believe the best thing to wear is a nice baggy set of clothing. The paintball will usually hit the baggy part of your clothes and it won't even hurt you that bad. Multi-layer probably doesn't work as well unless you are getting hit in the stomach, but that shouldn't happen. It could but I doubt it. You could wear a nice thick layer with something baggy, but I find that to warm. It is pointless, because bottomline, it hurts.

Getting hit with a paintball hurts, and that is just how it works. I can tell you that it is going to sting pretty bad for about 5 seconds, but once you start to think about how it actually feels, the pain goes away. I mean, you still feel it, but it doesnt feel like much compared to that initial sting. This is really the best advice I can give and I've been hit plenty of times, MUCH more times then I've hit other players. I just take the sting and get on with it.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,774 Posts
Feels like being snapped in the ass with a towel. Stings for a while, but you don't realize it after a bit.

Now, I play with a baggy pants, jersey and a ground pounder padded undershirt. I really enjoy paintball, but am not a big fan of looking like I was wrestling an octopus. I also ref more then I actually play, so I get lit up quite a bit, so I want all the pads that I can. There is no shame in wearing proper protective gear.

·
Crafty Vet of Nutball
100 Posts
Feels like being snapped in the ass with a towel. Stings for a while, but you don't realize it after a bit.
that is the best description i have ever heard lol rollin: i love it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts