Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my team and i are goint to our first tourny in january. my question is, how do we pay for paint? Im a back mid player but my fronts just want to pay for just the paint theyre using but i dont think thats fair because im proving support for them so they can advance so how do i explain to them my point of view?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
when we play 5 man, we split the paint cost evenly. Even though the front guys dont' shoot as much paint, they need the back players to be shooting lots in order to get wins. Anyone who isn't willing to split paint cost evenly is being selfish.

If they still don't want to split costs, I wouldn't let them play. You could also just shoot the same amount of paint as they do, and show them what happens.

3 man is different. Everyone shoots about the same amount of paint, so we'll buy a case each and usually split anything else we need 3 ways.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help, any other tips for a d5 tourny? I know theres going to be a lot of noobs their but were mainly using it for practice for the NCPA regionals this march. Any stratigies for hopperball?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Play smart, communicate well, and don't get shot out of bunkers stupidly. I know it sounds like pretty general advice, but winning games is mostly about teamwork and a field awareness once you get basic skills out of the way.

5 man hopperball? I dunno, run to the 50 every single game and make them short. you either win fast, or you loose fast.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The format in the NCPA is 600 balls between 3 players is it better to play hopperball or to give more to back and less to front?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
It's not too hard to play hopperball in a 3 man. The games will go pretty fast, especially since nobody has more than 600 shots per team.

Maybe consider giving the front players a little less than 200 so the back player can lane a bit off the break. Then again I just finished playing back in a 3 man this weekend that we on, and I only had to pull pods occasionally. The goal is to lane one of their sides out, and then just dominate that side of the field.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I play front on topshot762's team, so we should condider giving me a little less paint and him a bit more so off the break he could lay a little paint to get me into an insert or to the snake

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our team is thinking about ordering Empire/invert minis for our tourny marker, we all had x7s but we just came out of the woods
would a mini be sufficiant

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
It all depends on how the field plays.

Playing well involves being able to adjust throughout the day. As the day goes on, teams will being to understand how the field plays; things that worked earlier will cease to work, and new options will have to be utilized.

D

·
0 Posts
From what I've read and know about D5 5man -

Traditionally, teams in D5 are somewhat inexperienced...sooo:

1) Have a plan. Do not wait to get out there to decide where people are going. Know what bunker you're going to and where you first move is. If you know these two things - you have the first 15-30 seconds of the game handled above most teams you play against. This likely will equate to you getting the first, and likely 2nd elimination - pushing this to a 5 on 3.

2) Communication. You will NEED your backs and fronts to talk, along with your mid to call to your backs - so the fronts can hear where their fronts are. There are only 5 people on the field. It shouldn't be too hard to know how many - and where at least 3 of them are at any given moment. Make an exercise of it to CONSTANTLY speak to your front and vice versa. If you have to - talk about your most intimate night with his ex girlfriend.

2b) Calm - A rigid body is going to accept fewer bounces than a relaxed one. Much like a razorblade - if you are loose and relaxed while handling it - it won't cut you. If you're tense, you're getting stitches. Same deal here. If you're tense - you're more likely to catch a ball break, behave with blinders, and not keep your field awareness. Tension causes impulsive behavior, rash decisions, and forces the world to operate at speed. So: Suggestion. at 10 seconds, breathe in, let it out to 5 seconds... get into your bunker. If you made it in first - get out first until reload...then pop in, reload..2 full breaths, and pop back out. If you don't get in first - get your 2 breaths in before you try to get dominance on tape. You will be surprised how much the world slows down and how much more time you have to think and react.

3) Paint - Paint Pool. For a 5man, everyone buys 2 cases. Your fronts are nothing without the backs. Backs are nothing without the fronts. Everyone's got a job - but everyone's equal. Nobody's special. Share the expense. If they have a problem with it - then agree to have an FFA paint policy -but the backs don't pay entry - as they hvae higher paint expenditures. Maybe they'll get it.

4) Aggressive - The faster you limit their capability to get on and control the field, the faster you will win the game or pinch them in. As long as you're up a player, you should be looking to get to the 50. Once you cut them at the 50, you have ALL that room behind you - and they pretty much have their initial 30 yards. Get your eliminations and close in. The faster you do so - the more likely you are to beat communication, and they won't know where you are.

5)Passive - If you get pinched or hurt - get your backs in-line with each other, and cross up. If you talk - you can win as they try to force you out.

6)Have 3 different breakout strategies. Teams will watch what you do - so have options. Everyone does the 2-1-2. One of my personal favorites is this (layout dependent):

Standard D-side breakout:1 front, 1 back, double mid going 50/50 on the nearest can. Traditional mid pushes to the nearest "forward" mid position to move the field up. Send your snake player alone to the corner. 4-6 seconds after the breakout - there's a 'down' period where they try to find you while reloading and adjusting and communicating. You'll be surprised how many people can't talk and shoot at the same time...so if they're talking - you're moving...heh. In that gap, you push your snake player in back corner, up the side and into snake obscured by S1 knuckle. WHILE that's happening...you Run&Gun or just sprint your snake-back to the corner. You now have a modified breakout, delay, and a secured snake entry that wasn't cutoff from lucky balls.

Option2 on this - is to run 3 D heavy...OR - chain 3 people up the S side, inserting 1, getting him up a knuckle, inserting the Snake Back into snake, and pushing your Mid to S corner (BUT - this leaves mid-field wide)

If these descriptions suck - I have a whiteboard and camera...and can take pix and show you if you ask and I"m feeling nice.

7) Don't take this too seriously. It's D5...its a hobby...and its not like you're going to see Kobe Bryant money from winning the tournament. Smile, be gracious, play fair, and enjoy it......

oh - and DRILL....its JUST as important as scrimmage. If you can't get on a field on Sunday morning to run drill, talk to the field owner about showing up early on a Saturday and setting up the airball field for him, in exchange for using it for practice for an hour or two. YouTube has a WEALTH of drill information and procedures. Start with 1v1 snap shooting from mirror bunkers in a tournament set (so they are ON the bunker and not 10 feet behind it)go for 3 hits - No ramp activation). Then move into a field length run&gun focusing on 3 different bunkers, with a slide and Post-up at the end. After -run a Dynasty Communication Drill. After - run a 2v2 (pairs) for movement communication. There's a LOT everyone can improve upon. DRILL DRILL DRILL. Scrimmage is simulated tournament conditions. If you're practicing how to imperfectly play - you're not practicing much but bad habits. Focus on doing it right - then bring that to the practice field.

D

·
0 Posts
To explain this:

Race to X format: You're going to play to win X games. Race to 2 is best of 3. Race to 3 is best of 5. The sooner you win, the fewer games you'll have to play.

Round Robin: All play All You'll start against team A, then play team B. It's up to the tournament organizer if you're going to be playing your Race games sequentially - or if you're playing each team once, then going back around, then making a 3rd lap if necessary.

SO - from the looks of it - you're promised 22 games with a maximum of 33 games.

In a 5man format - wow...that's probably the better part of 2-3 cases. In a 3man...its harder to say. In a 3man team scrimmage/practice (we had 6 show) I went between hopper+pod and hopper+5pods per match. It all depends on pressure of your opponents. Start with two cases a person and buy in as necessary. Ideally - you have 7-8 people...so 5 fielded, 1-2 coaches, and 1 paint runner.

And for the love of all that is holy - bring a pit. You need 2 people to watch your **** while you're playing. They don't have to be team affiliated (but girlfriends are more often a bad idea than a good one)- and their job is to fill pods, monitor paint levels, and keep your asses organized. If you have someone telling you what to do and where to go, someone filling paint and making sure people have paint - then all you have to do is focus on playing and winning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have a 4 man roster, 1 manager and 1 coach i assume this will be enough for the pits so if every player buys 2 cases, will 8 cases be enough for this tourny?

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
I'm thinking I'm gonna play again this weekend. With not having the option of enjoying just driving around anymore, my playing time will probably go up. I may devolve back into whoredom also. I already ordered a VCOM engine, will be ordering a speed feed for the Spire, and I was looking at Insights on the Nation last night.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
I'm almost definitely going to get a GTi (assuming I can find one in a color I like) and get rid of my VX'd Clone. Although the Clone did work PERFECTLY this weekend. The same can't be said of the Shocker or the Quest. Turns out I damaged an oring on the LPR of the Quest (fixed at field, played most of the day with it), and the Shocker for some reason even though it worked fine at 9 ms dwell at the beginning of the year after being Eigen'd, it won't work that low anymore. Meh, bumped it up to 13 ms and working fine now. Also, another day of play for the Vapor and the Rogue without a single issue. Let a buddy use the Rogue after his ORIGINAL Impulse went down on him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts