Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday I came home and saw that my little brothers got in. the computer was shut off by the serge protector. when i went to turn it on it wouldnt boot. a video of the problem is being processed atm and will be posted asap. please help.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I'll try to help when you get a video. Its possible he fried the Power supply although I doubt it if it turns on. The only thing I can think of with the information provided is possibly he fried the hard drive?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cant be the power supply, it tries to boot. i thought it was the harddrive too, but i tried 2 others and no dice so far. i just checked the video and hopefully its up soon.

·
12,110 Posts
I dont have MPEG support right now, can you describe what's going on?

Sounds like a hardware problem. Does the computer get power at all? Does it turn on at all? What is the screen you get?

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
so it's doing that with any hard drive you put in it? did the other hard drives have an operating system installed on them and were they set for being a primary drive?
Here's what I'm going to guess happened. The reason that it was shut off by the surge protector is because something happened and whoever was using it at the time didn't know any other way to turn it off so they flipped the surge protector. Then they tried to turn it back on, it did what it's doing now and they killed the surge protector once again. I can't possibly see how a surge protector would do this.
What I suggest doing is booting off your Operating system cd and doing a repair or install (it will tell you if it's going to delete files, so don't' worry about that happening)
Edit:
dang that's an old computer. did i hear a floppy disk power up on the boot sequence?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and yeah i have a floppy for boot discs, i dont use it hardly ever though. i did try inserting the xp cd but for some reason the damn cd drive wont open now..

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wish i knew that 2 years ago when i had a game stuck in one. i destroyed the thing to get it out. but yeah, it opebed but it wont read anyways if i put it back in.

·
12,110 Posts
Take the MOLEX off your CDrom and connect it to say, your hard drive.

Or if you have a multimeter, see if theres any voltage going on on that molex. Sounds more and more like the PSU.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My little brother is 4, he doesnt know what he did!

And it doesnt say any are listed L1nUx, ive tried 3 different hdd's too. Ill swap in a different PSU just to see what that does.

What are the boot orders? I fuxed them up dicking with the pc trying to get it going. and why wont the cd drive work now? Ill see what the other PSU does.

edit: swapping PSU's didnt help, im still getting the same thing and the cd drive doenst work. this ****s ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
i havnt really payed att to the thread, have u set your primary boot to "boot from cd-rom" and tried putting in ur windows disk?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts