Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was in history class yesterday (i'm in regulars bcause our counselor is gay and he wouldn't put me in pre-ap) and we're writing an essay comparing/contrasting feudalism and communism. i'm gettin out paper fixing to write my essay, knowing exactly what i'm oging to write, and about five people put their hands up and go, "what's communism?". the teacher sat there for like ten minutes and had to explain communism to these dumbasses. if you're a freshmen in high school, you should know damn well what communism is.

discuss.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah i'll agree there, its kinda somethign that people ought to understand, or least have an idea about. Those who don;t know history are doomed to repeat it. As a historian, i find that boring.

On the other hand I'm taking Politics, Economics and Modern History so i'm a bit biased. I'm sure if you asked someone who did Physics, Chem and Maths they would defend their ignorance.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
You'd be surprised how many people your teacher's age don't really know what communism is.

·
look LOOK ! ha you looked
705 Posts
what is communisum now?

j/k

but yeah people are dum.

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
Number One N00b said:
My teacher advocates the cliche "communism looks good on paper, but doesn't really work" explaination =(
It doesn't look good on paper either, unless you have absolutely no ego at all.

Not to mention that expression is used every time Communism is even mentioned in schools.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
a better title would be "people are uninformed"

the biggest flaw with starting communism today is that the middle class exists. It's not pure worker/elite anymore.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
.. the problem of communism isn't the middle class, communism benefits the middle class. and even if thats not true, that isnt a problem now, because the middle class was created during the industrial revolution, the same time the idea of communism was formed. its not now if it was even a problem at all, because it was around when communism first tried to be implemented.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I know people in there 20s who couldn't tell you whether the korean war was fought before vietnam. Let alone point out either on a map. Or that the civil war happened right after the revolution. becaues in the movies they used the same kinda guns. ever watch the show street smarts. how many states are there in the united states. 48......der it happens they are out there and they are mating. not knowing commie is bad Im surprised they knew about the feudal system. oh wasn't that like the nights of the round table. Unless there is a major movie about it no one will care. Troy gladiator ect these movies give people a false understanding of the past. wars take too long now they say no occupying and what not before. it was about getting land. People don't understand that supposedly the battle over troy lasted 10 years. the roman empire. took years and years to build. even at its hight they were crumbling. but no if you asked any one a former general was a gladiator and he killed the emporer and thats why its lasangnia not meat and sauce noodle mix food. AAAAA brain.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Communism is for children and people who are extremely naive. "It looks good on paper" is the perfect description. Because the principles of communism are very appealing, but humans will never pull it off. Someone has to be in charge and that someone will always become corrupted by the power.

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Dogpatch said:
Communism is for children and people who are extremely naive. "It looks good on paper" is the perfect description. Because the principles of communism are very appealing, but humans will never pull it off. Someone has to be in charge and that someone will always become corrupted by the power.
Do you know what communism is?

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Dogpatch said:
Which part, with quotes I guess since you know so much, work on paper and why don't the work in real world applications... with examples? Oh, and if you could, could you add a Gramsci quote in there, I like it when people quote Gramsci...

Here I'll even PM this message to you so you won't forget to respond.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think that readings of Karl Marx should become mandatory before you take any high school history class, because the subject of communism has been a major point of conflict throughout history and it is good to know all you can about it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
Which part, with quotes I guess since you know so much, work on paper and why don't the work in real world applications... with examples? Oh, and if you could, could you add a Gramsci quote in there, I like it when people quote Gramsci...

Here I'll even PM this message to you so you won't forget to respond.

LOL I knew that post was gonna stir some poo poo.
Ok, let's get on some common ground here. I know so much? Where in my post did I say that? Did I post any credentials that gave you any clue I was qualified as a communism major? I have no expansive knowledge of communism, but I do know there is not a functioning communist country in the world. By functioning I mean social classes being non-existent. The day social classes cease to exist will be the day of Armageddon. Let's see is there a country existing without a coercive government? I don't think so. So, communism does not work in real life, but it sure looks great on paper.
Communism on paper: Control of industry in the hands of the people. Everyone has and nobody wants. No dictatorial government.
Does that exist anywhere?
So it doesn't work in real life because someone has to be the worker and somebody has to be the boss. Somebody has to be the decision maker and that power corrupts.
And as I have never really studied communism or many forms of government at all, I don't know if I quoted Gramsci or not. My name's not Will Hunting.

Anyway, I hope there are no hard feelings. I didn't mean to start a culture war. I'm sure you can look past my ramblings as those of a misinformed, uneducated dolt. All I know is I work for what I have, I take care of my family. I obey the law. All of those things should be enough for a civil society without resorting to communism. And I'm not even so much against communism in it's purest form... it just will never work with people. Some one will always get greedy.
I appreciate the PM, though I'm not sure if "Good luck" was supposed to be sarcastic or not. Either way, it's all good. I hope I amused you for 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts