Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well....im a fiziks nub and need some help here with this gay stuff
coodnt find the HW help sticky....so

1) a ball is rolled across a table and slowly comes to a stop.
Use Newtons 1st law of motion to explain why the ball stops.

2) a package on the seat of a bus slides backwards when the bus accelerates from rest quickly. It slides forwards when the driver brakes. Why and Why? (prolly use newtons agin)

3) A car is in an accident and struck from behind. people get whiplash from this.

a) use newtons laws to expalin what happens.
b) how does a headrest reduce whiplash

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya...its like reel basics.....but i cant relate it to newtons law and why...i dont even understand what a unblances force is

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
sideshowbob said:

2) a package on the seat of a bus slides backwards when the bus accelerates from rest quickly. It slides forwards when the driver brakes. Why and Why? (prolly use newtons agin) thats all we usin

3) A car is in an accident and struck from behind. people get whiplash from this.
No offense, but I'm not in Physics and I can explain most of this...You sleeping in class? :p

1.)Friction causes the ball to slow down. An object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. Or whatever it is. The outside force is friction.

2.)Uh, probably the same thing as above, but not so much friction. The object tends to stay at rest, unless acted upon by an outside force. The package wants to stay where it is, but the outside force of the bus accelerating has the package slide backward...or something...erm...yeah

3.)Yeah, people get whiplash because the energy/force of the one car is transfered quickly to the other one's back end, causing the 2nd car to lurch forward quickly. The driver & passengers want to stay at rest, but the car moves forward...So their necks & heads go snap. Er....yup..I think

If I'm wrong, well...I hope I helped a bit at least.

-Jin

2,668 Posts
Oh Btw, Jin answered but here are the three laws(if memory serves correct)

1. An object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force...I think this is Inertia or w/e

2. An object at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by an outside force.

3. For every action their is an equal and oppostie reaction(Example: Two people on roller skates, if you push off eachother one will go one way, and the other, the other way)

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
CrazyWeasel said:
3. For every action their is an equal and oppostie reaction(Example: Two people on roller skates, if you push off eachother one will go one way, and the other, the other way)
Yeah, that was what I was trying to say/think of...That can be applied to the last one...And probably number 2 as well.

-Jin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya....that helps a bit....i jus cooded explain the law....i didnt get it

·
Banned
129 Posts
the first is definatively friction but thats all im sure about Jins answer seems right

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
sideshowbob said:

2) a package on the seat of a bus slides backwards when the bus accelerates from rest quickly. It slides forwards when the driver brakes. Why and Why? (prolly use newtons agin)

a) use newtons laws to expalin what happens.
b) how does a headrest reduce whiplash
1. friction
2. inertia
3. same as 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts