Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
pipe all the way.. not just saying that becouse i have a pipe.. i have had a freak befor and pipe is way better and stronger as well imo

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
Look into Stiffi barrels and Stiffi Switch Kits if you want, Custom Products barrels, Powerlite Scepter, Dye Ultralites are good, I wouldn't recommend the Pipe or Freak. freak's design is poor, the Scepter functions the same (tip, back, and inserts) except the design is waayy better. The Pipe used to be bad, but they have redesigned the tip, haven't heard too much on how good it is now, but it must be better. Still better barrels out there either way.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
if you have money, look into the STO kaner kit, or the poison arrow barrel kit, or matchstik kit, or if you dont have money you can look into the J&J edge kit.

just trying to give some options that other people havent said. people usually buy stuff for a reason, but there are other barrel kits out there besides pipe, freak, and stiffi/switch that are also very good wave:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Also don't overllok the Redz kit, I was pleasantly suprised when I got one to test and it outshot my UL's, Stiffi and Matchstik barrels, although haven't tried the Kaner kit. The scepter is nice too, although a little costly. Personally I am not a big fan of either the Pipe or Freak kits though.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
oh yeah, forgot to mention redz pepperstickz (sp?) kit. they are supposed to be very smooth, but the smallest bore size is .687 and it goes up to .693 i think. not really the range of paint size that i shoot...

also probablly the most overlooked kit there is is the dye ultralite, because it is not formally sold as a kit, you have to buy all the pieces separately. it is probablly also the most expensive kit there is if you choose to buy every back and every tip. instead of a freak or pipe, get a dye ultralite with 2 backs of your choice and a tip 10-18". it will be close to $150, the same price as a freak or pipe, with way better performance. backs come in .684, .688, and .692 sizes. start with a .688, and for your second insert, if you live in a warm humid place get the .692 and if its cool and dry, get the .684, or if you commonly shoot small or large paint you can decide that way.

ok im done ;0

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
But it is getting very diificult to find some of the Dye backs now- a friend has been searching around to find a .692 in black for almost a month- everyone says Dye is out of stock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went back and forth between these 2 and I went with the Pipe kit. I didn't want to have to worry about inserts and a solid back won't vary in size as much as that really thin insert with temp changes. Only had 1 break out of 6000 balls through it and I think the ball was out of round and at fault. The Pipe handled it well shooting dead on straight again within about 7-8 shots. when I looked down the barrel afterwards there was barely any paint left inside it really cleaned itself out great.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
What kinda gun are you getting this kit for? If its cocker threads, get a stiffi or CCM kit, matchstik, or pepperstik. Those are all good barrels.

A pipe is better than a freak, but neither of them are as good as the other ones I suggested.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would get the New Stainless Steel Freak Insert Kit with a Freak Front. The new Stainless Steel kit is supposedly re-designed for a better construction and hey, I think it looks cooler too...lol. Not only that, but a Freak kit has more inserts than the Pipe kit. More & easier paint-to-barrel matching available.

Just my two cents.

- Junkie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts