Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plastic is made from oil, right? Well, just about every small thing we buy nowadays comes in plastic clamshell packaging. Would it reduce gas and oil prices if we went back to paper packaging, or even just cut down on the amount of plastic packaging used? Not only is the stuff a PITA to open, but it probably contributes to high fuel costs?

So what do you guys think? Am I on to something here, or would it not make a difference? I haven't done the research to figure it out, but I'm sure someone here has.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Plastic is made from oil, right? Well, just about every small thing we buy nowadays comes in plastic clamshell packaging. Would it reduce gas and oil prices if we went back to paper packaging, or even just cut down on the amount of plastic packaging used? Not only is the stuff a PITA to open, but it probably contributes to high fuel costs?

So what do you guys think? Am I on to something here, or would it not make a difference? I haven't done the research to figure it out, but I'm sure someone here has.
Economically wise... no.

Actually, plastic packageing was is really interesting economically speaking. Buck Duke and American Tobacco thumup:

When you study monopolies in industrial organisations you see kind of why this was historically important.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Truthfully, taking the plastic out of gas costs may not even make a noticeable impact. Rising gas costs may affect the price of plastics, but i doubt the other way around. The problem isn't so much that we are running out, it's that we can't keep up. Nations that use to be very poor are now industrializing and rivaling the oil consumtion of america. So basically, we're barely meeting the demand. Another factor is hostile situations causing many oil shieks to raise their prices while they enjoy very cheap gasoline *less than 50 cents per gallon*
The problem is that instead of gasoline being something we take for granted, it has nearly become a comoddity.

There's a lot that goes into the price of gasoline, such as spring maintenance jacking up the price, and winter time production is cheaper, so gas is cheaper.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Truthfully, taking the plastic out of gas costs may not even make a noticeable impact. Rising gas costs may affect the price of plastics, but i doubt the other way around. The problem isn't so much that we are running out, it's that we can't keep up. Nations that use to be very poor are now industrializing and rivaling the oil consumtion of america. So basically, we're barely meeting the demand. Another factor is hostile situations causing many oil shieks to raise their prices while they enjoy very cheap gasoline *less than 50 cents per gallon*
The problem is that instead of gasoline being something we take for granted, it has nearly become a comoddity.

There's a lot that goes into the price of gasoline, such as spring maintenance jacking up the price, and winter time production is cheaper, so gas is cheaper.
A lot of that is poor economics.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts

no. There are a variety of grades and types of oil. It is entirely separate from gasoline.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
I'm fairly certain that gasoline and plastics use different parts of the oil. Basically, the leftover from refining gasoline is used to make plastic.

But non plastic packaging would be a great idea. Hell, biodegradeable would be great you don't need packaging that exceeds the life of the product.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But non plastic packaging would be a great idea. Hell, biodegradeable would be great you don't need packaging that exceeds the life of the product.
I just want to be able to get my stuff out of the package without nearly slicing my hand open.:rolleyes:

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Start packaging things in paper and see what moron environmentalist groups pop out at you.
I'll make sure to use 98% post-consumer recycled materials and easily renewable plant fibers.:)

Either way, I really think we use way to much packaging. I went to store to buy a memory card for my camera the other day and the memory card (which is the size of a postage stamp) was in plastic packaging the size of a three subject spiral notebook. I guess it was so you couldn't stuff it in your pocket and walk out, but the thing was locked on the rack anyway so it wasn't going anywhere.

People complain about SUVs and Trucks being resource hogs, but at least they can sometimes be useful. I never see anyone complaining about excessive packaging that has no true purpose. :shrug:

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
People complain about SUVs and Trucks being resource hogs, but at least they can sometimes be useful. I never see anyone complaining about excessive packaging that has no true purpose. :shrug:
more energy would be saved be lowering the amount of packaging compared to changing the packaging from a plastic to a paper product. Production plants use lots of energy and all it takes is a little tighter profits to motivate them to look into optimizing their packaging to lower energy use.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
Start packaging things in paper and see what moron environmentalist groups pop out at you.
even so, the hydrocarbons created with the creation of plastic packaging like that is what makes holes in the ozone.

its a lose-lose situation.

·
Registered
904 Posts
how the hell did you change your username?????????????????

I've seen another person w/ a diff username!!!!!

wtf????

1 - 20 of 25 Posts