Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PBF!

I decided last december I was going to learn to play the guitar. I bought a guitar 5 days later. I learned a few parts to like 3 songs and stopped. It is now 11 months later and I have an acoustic guitar as well. I want to get back into it. A few songs I have worked on are

Tell me baby - red hot chili peppers
brown eyed girl - van morrison
can't stop - red hot chili peppers
Hey there delilah - plain white t's

I cannot play the entire songs, but I am getting better. The last song I mentioned is really easy. I am looking for songs that are extremely easy for beginning guitar players. I know a few of you play them, so lemme at em.

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
MewithoutYou - "Messes of Men" is the first song I learned how to play

Pretty much, there's no real way to just recommend easy songs. Just play songs from the bands you listen to, and you'll pick up on them quick.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
it seems boring but, I've been playing for 5 years and for 3 of them I wasn't getting any better, I'm learning all the basics again and my technique and how clean i play is getting better, just a recommendation take lessons if you can afford them.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lessons around here went up to 20 bucks a lesson! Some places charge as much as 24 bucks. This is why I stopped taking drum lessons however many years ago.

BlueShox, I'll try that one.

EDIT:

I do not know chords yet, I can't play that song.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
please do not play "hey there delilah". That is one of the dumbest songs I have heard in my lifetime, and there are very few that top that list. If you want something simple to play and sounds good, might I reccomend Swing Life away by rise against?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ I love that song. (Swing life away)

The only reason I play that song is to get better at moving my fingers on the guitar as it is so easy. I don't plan on covering it completely or anything..

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
MewithoutYou - "Messes of Men" is the first song I learned how to play

Pretty much, there's no real way to just recommend easy songs. Just play songs from the bands you listen to, and you'll pick up on them quick.
Thanks to you I now know Messes of Men. I've always liked that song, but never thought to try playing it. <3 mewithoutyou

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts

The only reason I play that song is to get better at moving my fingers on the guitar as it is so easy. I don't plan on covering it completely or anything..
you'll be able to get swing life away pretty quickly. It's not too terribly difficult, and is a fun song to play. If you want to help with moving your finger, Trivium-like light to flies is one that is good for that. Plus, its also a good one to play electic. There is a great vid on youtube where the cover is very clear-you could learn the song from watching just that.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am slowly learning chords but I don't anything about strumming patterns. Do you have to listen to a song to get it? or does each chord have its own pattern you strum too?

·
Supporting Turtle
2,967 Posts
Each song has a different pattern.

Thanks to you I now know Messes of Men. I've always liked that song, but never thought to try playing it. <3 mewithoutyou
Glad I could help :) I'm seeing them on Monday night, I'm going to try and snag some free pizzas from work and give them to the nice guys from MewithoutYou, Thank God, and some other random band.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
man you guys are inspiring. i started learning this morning. it uses chords that I've never had to before, and i've got to admit that I really like the sound of them, and their transitions aren't bad at all. just gotta get the strum pattern down a little better and i'll be good to go.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
man you guys are inspiring. i started learning this morning. it uses chords that I've never had to before, and i've got to admit that I really like the sound of them, and their transitions aren't bad at all. just gotta get the strum pattern down a little better and i'll be good to go.

no problem-just a little practice is all it takes. It took me a few days to get swing life away perfect. Now, learn how to use your vocals for the song as well, and bam! turns into a panty-dropper

Mspainter-listen to the songs and try to disect them. Its not neccesarily learning where they are, but you've got to "feel" where they are. I know that sounds wierd, but once you get the feel for how the cords and notes are strummed, you will be fine. I use the same technique when playing drums. I get a feel for the song, and go from there.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been drumming since I was in 4th grade, and I usually pay attention to the drum parts in songs and whatnot. But I feel this shouldnt take me more than a week to get down. I'm pretty musically inclined.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts