Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a PSP but it has no charger. I was looking and wal-mart has a USB cable that will charge it along with transfering files, etc.. My question is if I buy the USB cable instead of the charger(cause its cheaper) Does my computer need to have software installed to it for the cable to work while connected to my PSP? or would it just work by itself? thanks

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
I just got a PSP but it has no charger. I was looking and wal-mart has a USB cable that will charge it along with transfering files, etc.. My question is if I buy the USB cable instead of the charger(cause its cheaper) Does my computer need to have software installed to it for the cable to work while connected to my PSP? or would it just work by itself? thanks
curious, what firmware version is on it? Because you may be capable of getting some homebrew capabilities that can really make your psp a whole lot more useful. They've got NES, SNES, GBA, SEGA, PS1, MAME, etc. emulators, instant messengers, play games from memory card saves battery a TON. And a whole lot more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If Im looking at the right thing, it says its "version 2.82"...some emulators would be awsome, how do i get some? and one more question... is there a way to take the faceplate off because the analog stick is acting screwy(up and down wont work, only left and right)but I think if I take off the faceplate, I can tinker with it untill it works again. but I couldnt get it off, so maybe theres something im missing lol...thanks.

·
3,991 Posts
You're going to have to downgrade(then upgrade to hacked firmware) to get the emulators, but first you must upgrade to a downgradable firmare.
Based on which games you own.
Upgrade to 3.03 if you have GTA: Liberty City Stories UMD
Upgrade to 3.50 if you have Lumines

You can get the upgraders and downgraders from http://www.psp-hacks.com
and I warn you... DO NOT USE NETWORK UPDATE if you want to have emulators and other homebrew.

as for faceplate, you need to take out some screws or something. im sure there's disassembly instructions somewhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so after I go to 3.whatever you said...How would I get the emulators on it? Would I have to connect to the internet? or is there another way I dont know about? and theres only one screw, i took it out, but the faceplate still wont come off, ill end up breaking it if i try to pry it off....

·
3,991 Posts
Ok, so after I go to 3.whatever you said...How would I get the emulators on it? Would I have to connect to the internet? or is there another way I dont know about? and theres only one screw, i took it out, but the faceplate still wont come off, ill end up breaking it if i try to pry it off....
after you go to the version of 3 you need. you need to downgrade to 1.5 by loading the hacked save file with the required game i said, and then upgrade to 3.7 custom firmware. then you put the emulators on via USB. like i said, everything you need to know is on www.psp-hacks.com

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yeah, ur going to have to downgrade ur firmware. The problem with that is, many downgraders/homebrews can screw u over and brick ur system and u'll have to reset.

The other problem is that once u've downgraded, actual psp games that run on a higher firmware will not be playable until u install the included firmware.

Basically, let's say u downgrade to a 2.somethin, then buy a game that requires you to run 3.5 firmware. When u insert the umd and it loads, it will show a start game window and a firmware update under the umd section. If ur firmware version is below that games O.S., u won't be able to play til u install the new firmware, and after updating uw on't be able to play ur homebrews.

Gets pretty confusing I know. THe firmware version is not tied to the memory card, so investing in a second just for homebrew will only be helpful in memory situations.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
curious, what firmware version is on it? Because you may be capable of getting some homebrew capabilities that can really make your psp a whole lot more useful. They've got NES, SNES, GBA, SEGA, PS1, MAME, etc. emulators, instant messengers, play games from memory card saves battery a TON. And a whole lot more.
My psp is set up beautifully. I only own one game but that doesn't matter a bit.

Yeah, ur going to have to downgrade ur firmware. The problem with that is, many downgraders/homebrews can screw u over and brick ur system and u'll have to reset.

The other problem is that once u've downgraded, actual psp games that run on a higher firmware will not be playable until u install the included firmware.

Basically, let's say u downgrade to a 2.somethin, then buy a game that requires you to run 3.5 firmware. When u insert the umd and it loads, it will show a start game window and a firmware update under the umd section. If ur firmware version is below that games O.S., u won't be able to play til u install the new firmware, and after updating uw on't be able to play ur homebrews.

Gets pretty confusing I know. THe firmware version is not tied to the memory card, so investing in a second just for homebrew will only be helpful in memory situations.
I think you all have to be careful with this. If someone does not know what they are doing, they should not be playing with emulation. It can, as you said, brick your psp.

However, the firmware problem with new games problem has been solved. They have new versions of firmwares that hackers have created. I currently run 3.03 OE-B. This firmware allows me to play games that need 3.03 or earlier firmwares, while still being able to emulate my favorite systems, or allow me to use AIM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright thanks all...I figured it all out. But now, I would like to know how to get the faceplate off the front of the PSP because the joystick is messed up but i think I can fix it if I could only get the faceplate off it:-\ So if someone could let me know how to get it off after taking out the screw on the bottom, cause I dont think im suppose to just pry it off, i dont wanna break it. thanks again.

·
3,991 Posts
Alright thanks all...I figured it all out. But now, I would like to know how to get the faceplate off the front of the PSP because the joystick is messed up but i think I can fix it if I could only get the faceplate off it:-\ So if someone could let me know how to get it off after taking out the screw on the bottom, cause I dont think im suppose to just pry it off, i dont wanna break it. thanks again.
http://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=PSP Disassembly

this should help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts