Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been trying to reformat my laptop for two days now. Compaq Presario, running windows xp. I have my restore disk (Application and Driver Recovery DVD), and I went into the bios and changed the boot order to cd rom first. It doesn't give me any options, just boots to windows like normal. For some reason, the option to go to restart: restart in Ms-dos mode is not there. I tried using the command prompt, but it gives me some jibber jabber about this volume is in use by another process (presumebly windows, since I cannot exit into DOS). I even tried downloading Maxblast, but it won't let me format it because it is my windows drive. I've read every tutorial I can find and nothing has worked. My eternal gratitude to anyone who can offer up a working solution.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just realized something!! Could it be because my recovery disc is a dvd, and I'm telling it to boot from the cd drive? THere is no boot from dvd drive option, its a combo drive.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I don't really understand the problem fully right now. It won't boot from CD?

There are various ways to go about formatting and reinstalling, but if you can't boot from a CD at all you're f-ed.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if its booting from the cd or not, it just goes straight into windows, without asking if I want to boot from the cd (which would give me the necessary options to reformat). And its a DVD, not a cd.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Is it a download windows xp disc or a store bought one?

I had trouble with a downloaded version of xp before not booting. Either get an official cd of it or try downloading another copy of xp that people have said works.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Delete is the BIOS in every computer I've owned.

Maybe when you changed the boot priority you didn't save your settings? That's happened to me a time or two.

Make sure it is set to boot from CD BEFORE the HD. If it is set this way and not booting, it could be the CD or drive. Contact Compaq and maybe they can help you.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
If you're not getting a Prompt from your system just after POST to boot from you CD, you're CD is the problem. 9 times out of 10 when I had a system on the bench that wouldn't recognize the CD to format, I either:
A) Changed the boot order, as you did, thus that's not the problem
or
B) Took the customers CD and hucked it aside for a real windows CD.

Recovery disks are the devil, I've never gotten one to properly work off the get go.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
splatwithhonor3 said:
I'm thinking thats it. Its a legit recovery cd, not a download, but not a soley windows cd either. I don't want to buy a copy of windows though.
I'm not EXACTLY sure on the technicalities of this, but since you actually "own" the serial for your windows install (it's probably on a sticker somewhere on your laptop) it might not be illegal for you to use a burnt/downloaded copy if you use it on the same computer.

I know you can use these serials on the stickers with regular windows cds. Don't ask how... :dodgy: but if you use it on the same computer I think it might actually be legal.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
splatwithhonor3 said:
I'm not worried about legality, I'm worried about functionality.
What do you mean? Program wise or hardware compatibility? I don't think you have anything to worry about with hardware, but program wise, if you REALLY need what comes with your restore disk I guess you have have an issue.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I mean I'm worried about a bootlegged copy of windows being able to work properly. Not having the recovery cd crap (excessive bundled software) would just save me some time doing manual deletion.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Well, I know they work. Again, don't ask how :dodgy:.

You can find them on Torrents or probably have a friend burn one for you. I know copies work.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Yes, they work; However you need a certain version of windows.
You require Windows XP: Corporate version. This version does not require any activation via Microsoft, therefore requires any key, rather than Pro or Home which have a copywright detection.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just put in the Serial on your sticker and be done with it...

But if you don't want to try that or buy a new copy or anything, your best bet is probably to contact Compaq and see if you can get a new restore disk or something.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Lowtryx said:
Yes, they work; However you need a certain version of windows.
You require Windows XP: Corporate version. This version does not require any activation via Microsoft, therefore requires any key, rather than Pro or Home which have a copywright detection.
I have a burned copy of Pro and I dont have to register my copy as I do with my burned copy of Home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts