Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i own a proto slg ul marker and i hate how small the barrel is, i need to get a longer one but i cannot decide on which one to get, the thread is a autococker and im not looking to spend more than $30 i am on ebay and theres a bunch i can get. if anybody has good tips and advice for good cheap barrels please let me know asap!

PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
You can find a new J&J for that price. There are countless options out there in 'cocker threads and if buying used you can find many nice candidates for $30.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you nuts? Riflings have been used since near the civil war to improve accuracy in firearms and artillery. If the barrel is rifled properly it will improve accuracy. Cheaper barrels that have straight grooves are useless and these may be what you're thinking of. These barrels are called rifled but they aren't really. Rifled barrels must have helical grooves and lands cut, not straight ones. These grooves make the projectile spin along its center. Think of a football. If you make it spin it will be more accurate than just tossing it.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
Are you nuts? Riflings have been used since near the civil war to improve accuracy in firearms and artillery. If the barrel is rifled properly it will improve accuracy. Cheaper barrels that have straight grooves are useless and these may be what you're thinking of. These barrels are called rifled but they aren't really. Rifled barrels must have helical grooves and lands cut, not straight ones. These grooves make the projectile spin along its center. Think of a football. If you make it spin it will be more accurate than just tossing it.
Gotta agree with Martix. Rifling helps AMAZINGLY well when dealing with solid projectiles (even round ones). However, when you add a fluid filled imperfect sphere with noticeable seems on it, you lose any advantage that rifling imparts. As Martix points out, it's been tested again and again, and then a few more times, and the physics are that paintballs simply WON'T benefit from rifling, unless the new...what are they, the ones that have a supposedly solid core that becomes liquid on impact...those. They, in theory, could benefit a bit, but they're still going to be imperfect spheres with a seem which reduces the effectiveness of rifling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts