Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Students drop Shinerama fundraiser for illness targeting Caucasians

"Carleton University students have decided to pull out of a Canada-wide fundraiser that provides close to $1 million a year for cystic fibrosis research, given that the disease "has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men.""

dont get me wrong, I prefer a moderately politically correct world over any of the bigotry of the past.. but this is not politically correct in the sense that PC ought to be.. this is bigotry on a swing that managed to fly over the bar.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm a carleton grad...

i'm not one bit surprised given the way the CUSA (the students association) has been running in the last few years and the clowns running it. It all started going downhill since that dude that lost the election like 5 years ago sued them for not winning.

When i was a student shinerama was a part of frosh and everyone got involved, and it was fun.

On the positive side, they say they will pick another charity to support. I sincerely hope they do it. But i'm afraid there are few charities as large as the cystic fibrosis foundation to give to... and im sure if i dig deep enough i would also find some ridiculous reason not to give to them too.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a carleton grad...

i'm not one bit surprised given the way the CUSA (the students association) has been running in the last few years and the clowns running it. It all started going downhill since that dude that lost the election like 5 years ago sued them for not winning.

When i was a student shinerama was a part of frosh and everyone got involved, and it was fun.

On the positive side, they say they will pick another charity to support. I sincerely hope they do it. But i'm afraid there are few charities as large as the cystic fibrosis foundation to give to... and im sure if i dig deep enough i would also find some ridiculous reason not to give to them too.
Indeed, it seems like at least once a year CUSA manages to do something totally retarded. I'm trying to remember, but I know there was something last year or the year before that was pretty scandalous.. was it something to do with a prolife group or something? hm..

It might have been this Carleton students council bans 'anti-choice' activity but I thought it was more unfounded. (interestingly enough, the exact same thing has happened at my school this year. A pro-life group held an event that got out of hand and the CSA (our students association) removed their club status.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indeed, it seems like at least once a year CUSA manages to do something totally retarded. I'm trying to remember, but I know there was something last year or the year before that was pretty scandalous.. was it something to do with a prolife group or something? hm..
Yeah, CUSA doesn't really support anti-abortion clubs and such and at first barred funding a group, but in the interest of fairness gave them funding in the end... they're scared of lawsuits now. But seriously, small potatoes compared to the shinerama issue. I ran CCBS for 2 years with a few friends and meh... the funding didn't go very far, just a few beer and pizza parties a few times a year.

There is an article on the university paper, the charlatan, about it the shinerama thing. I've just sent in feedback about the article asking them to dig in some more. The lack of peer reviewed evidence of this "affects only white people" claim is odd. Looking at pubmed i found a lot of articles of the epidemiology of the diseas, articles evidencing that sure, CF is predominant in white males worldwide, but it is not limited to them. There are also significant percentages of asian, latin american and african populations that carry the gene as well.

Not to mentiont hat if you look at it, excluding shinerama and thus the CCFF is just as discriminatory as supporting it. There's no way out of that hole once students start fighting back.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little update on this... CUSA reversed the decision to cut shinerama out of orientation (as of november 26 2008, alumni association has let us know).

Apparently the guy who put the motion forth just read the stats off some website he found on google, assumed they were true and never bothered the check the facts. Never bothered to present evidence and worst of all, the cusa board never bothered to ask for any either.

Carleton shelves Shinerama on faulty facts : Macleans OnCampus

Community outcry (students and alumni) led by students who suffer from CF or have relatives that do, not to mention pressure from the administration, student government, alumni, etc. What a show from students, impeachment petitions, protests, and a referendum in january... the CUSA board is going to get the boot.

Few articles...
The Charlatan - Students sign impeachment petition over Shinerama controversy
The Charlatan - Dropped Fundraiser outrages community
The Charlatan - CUSA apologizes for Shinerama controversy, pledges more donations
The Charlatan - CUSA to reverse Shinerama decision
The Charlatan - Scrapping Shinerama was not a bright idea
The Charlatan - Students rally for Shinerama

1 - 8 of 8 Posts