Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Censorship "minor" for kids. *shows like sex n da city and family guy for ex*

• It is the responsibility of the parents to take charge of the tv their kids are watching

Votes: 25 64.1%
  • It is the responsibility of the television stations.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • It is both of their responsibilities.

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I understand on regular tv shows and such that yes, they do censor stuff. But the purpose of this poll is to decide whether it is the responsibility of the parents or the tv stations to provide censorship on television *I don't mean allowing nudity on tbs or fox* I mean censoring stuff that would be inappropriate.

I am with the fact that it is the responsibility of the parents.
Please, this is a thoughtful and intelligent debate, please post the reason why you feel it is your choice and please no flaming.

The reason I posted this is because I was talking to someone from M.C.C. *Meridian community college* and she was bashing a lot of tv shows.

Here are some things I said.
steven king said he understands what the parents feel, he stated that the parents should watch a movie then decide whether it is appropriate. Steven king even said that there was a movie he wouldn't let his daughter watch. My english teacher has the same thoughts.

It is the responsibility of the parents to monitor what the kids watch, not the tv stations. now I understand they are not supposed to be watching this stuff so young, but you have to realize, now adays, little kids at 8 and such are allowed to watch rated r

D

·
0 Posts
cenorship is for lazy parents who dont want to take the time to inform their children

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
parents can lock shows that a rated at certain levels

but yes....tv stations should limit wut is being put on tv....kids are way to horny now a days....including me :naughty:

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
The TV stations should censor it mildly and the parents should do the rest because the parents can't control when the kids are home alone and/or just flipping through channels and they see a sex scene or something.

Parents these days seriously suck. They want to be their kid's best friend more than a parent that gives them advice, guidance, and protection. I've seen kids as young as 7 years old playing Halo 2 (M) on Xbox live where most people cuss like sailors and talk about mature content.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
100%Wooddog said:
Half of the parents don't care. Noticed I said half.
Half of the kids don't watch "naughty" things with their parents around.
Half of the parents don't know.
hmmm 1 and 1/2 hmmmm

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Censorship is a violation of First Amendment Rights.

If you censor things, what's saying you're not going to censor news stories when things go wrong? Sure it doesn't happen now, but what's stopping the FCC from doing that? Not much, that's what.

Cuss words are just that - words. They don't hurt anyone. Honestly they don't. Parents say sex is a wonderful thing (mainly because they've had it...and that's how they got you) so what's wrong about it on TV? The kid's gonna do it someday...sheltering them helps nothing.

All in all, censorship is wrong. THe kids are gonna see it or hear it all at school or outside of their house, censoring it in the house is just retarded.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
Cuss words are just that - words. They don't hurt anyone. Honestly they don't. Parents say sex is a wonderful thing (mainly because they've had it...and that's how they got you) so what's wrong about it on TV? The kid's gonna do it someday...sheltering them helps nothing.
Kids need to have what they are exposed to censored until they are mature enough(not necessarily old enough) to handle it. Kids under 14 years old on xbox live cuss at least twice as much as 15+ users

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Censorship is a violation of the First Amendment....Yes and no.

First off, it's only a violation when the government censors something. The government does not censor anything, it's the networks that do.

Second off, just because we have freedom of speech, you can't go into a crowded fire and yell theatre. (Or reverse of that if you want ;) )

-Jin

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Jinjiro said:
First off, it's only a violation when the government censors something. The government does not censor anything, it's the networks that do.
FCC.

Jinjiro said:
Second off, just because we have freedom of speech, you can't go into a crowded fire and yell theatre. (Or reverse of that if you want ;) )

-Jin
Well, that you can't do because it interferes with the rights of others, and the common good apparently...I just asked this today in History lol. Anyways, cussing or whatnot does NOT interfere with the common good nor does it interfere with the rights of others.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
FCC.

Well, that you can't do because it interferes with the rights of others, and the common good apparently...I just asked this today in History lol. Anyways, cussing or whatnot does NOT interfere with the common good nor does it interfere with the rights of others.
FCC doesn't censor anything.

Swear words are not regulated by the government though. It's all network decisions, as I said. Plus, rights are not absolute. The freedom of speech is not absolute. I wasn't really talking about swear words when I said this.

-Jin

·
Registered
917 Posts
Here's the explanation for a couple of these issues (or at least from what I've heard.) :shrug:

-TV Stations censor to keep their audience and to appease the press/critics
-Minors do not have 1st Amendment Rights, so parents can censor what they see.
-Cussing is offensive, and thus verbal abuse/assault/whatever.
-The FCC is pure evil.

I'm no lawyer, but my old history teacher seemed pretty confident in those explanations. Except the last one. That's just common knowledge. :p

PS: For those who don't catch sarcasm, I'm exagerrating my contempt for the FCC. I don't want to hear someone taking my sarcasm literally again...

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Cussing isn't offensive unless you make it offensive. The word "****" (f word) itself isn't offensive. In context, it might be, like if I said "**** you!" That's not the idea though. They edit it no matter what. Why? I have no idea. Hell, they probably don't know that **** is an acronym..**** is one too (the s word gasp)

·
Banned
426 Posts
janiboy088 said:
parents can lock shows that a rated at certain levels

but yes....tv stations should limit wut is being put on tv....kids are way to horny now a days....including me :naughty:
Wrong. If someone doesnt like whats on tv, then dont watch it. Dont ruin it for the rest of us by censoring it out.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
xxxfirexxx said:
The reason I posted this is because I was talking to someone from M.C.C. *Meridian community college* and she was bashing a lot of tv shows.
the fact that she goes to a cc tells me she knows jack squat, and probably had a kid at 16.

I don't think anything should be censored. the more you restrict kids from something, the more they want it. we've all heard "swear words" so much they've pretty much lost most of their taboo (some places more so, others less). the whole "rush to censor anything and everything" after that janet jackson titty bull**** is a load of crap. I don't like anybody telling me what I can and can't watch or hear, ESPECIALLY when it's some retarded parent whose sheltered kid is screwing half the school behind their back.

what's next, you're going to ban little kids who swear at school from going to school? sure, and set an example for all the little wannabe badasses that you'll be famous for saying **** in school. a more effective way to do it would be to go old-school on their asses and whip them with a ruler. then when the bleedin' hearts and artists try to ***** about it, whip them too.

I think, rather than banning words and stuff altogether, parents should stop being so goddamned lazy and teach their kids some manners. teach them that there's a time and place for everything, i.e. cuss at home, not at church. oh, and some good ol physical discipline. I think maddox said it best ;)

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Ha... it is obvious that you all have never been parents. Once you have that little rug rat running around you will think very differently about what is appropriate or not.

It is my RESPONSIBILITY as a parent to raise my children in the accepted norms of the society we live in. It is my RESPONSIBILTY to instill values and morals into my children and give them the tools to make good descisions WHEN THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO MAKE THEM ON THEIR OWN.

You will note that I said when they are old enough. Now most of this board is in the younger half of their teenage years. You are begining to get some freedoms and responsibilty. However, you must still remember that you are nto children anymore, but neither are you adults. Seeing seks on TV, or seeing rape, violence, etc MAY not be appropriate for your stage of development. Quite frankly as a parent I have every right to censor what you see, what you do, where you go, and with whom you socialize. It is not a case of "sheltering" but of reponsibility.

If I let my 15 y/o son do whatever he wants, where is he going to learn the responsibility behind his choices. Total freedom at this age is a death sentance. Addictions, teen pregnancy, delinquency are all around the corner if I as a parent have not taught the proper values to my son. If there is freedom without responsibilty, then my son will become selfish and shallow.

So if I tell my son he can't watch a violent movie on skinamax, or I tell him he can't smoke, drink, and screw around, it is not to repress him, but to ensure that the situations he puts himself into he is able to handle at his level of development.

You guys are babes in the woods. The real world would eat you up and spit you out before you know it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts