Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard alot of people say that porting is just to make the marker more quiet, is this true? or does it have another function?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quieter yes, but porting doesn't affect eficiency, no matter what barrel you have the same amount of gas is released. my question is does it do anything else?

·
Just Chillin'
5,062 Posts
It can make the efficiency of the marker worse if the porting exceeds past a certain point in the barrel.

After the first 8in. - 10in. in a barrel, once a paintball is fired, the paintball's velocity reaches a high point, and begins to slow down after this point. If the porting goes past this point from the tip of the barrel, this means that the gas propelling the ball will be released early, and thus causing the paintball not being able to reach it's maximum velocity in the barrel, which in the end means that you need to turn your velocity up.

It does make the shot quieter. And it could give a spin effect on the paintball if the barrel has spiral porting which could make the paintball slice through the air easier, and fly straighter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
eh, spiral porting just looks pretty, it really won't help with accuracy. And porting really only makes your barrel less efficient if you have it ported really near to your actual p-ball gun, like within the 8 inches (although looking back i think you kinda said this).

unported barrels are really freaky loud. I have one that came with my hammer pump and it makes my hammer and spyder both sound like cannons.. which is kinda fun in a way.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh sorry i took your guys use of effiency for the amount of gas released per shot. But then why bother with porting if you'll get a more powerful shot, i would trade distance for quietness any day.

·
Jabroni Scorpion
164 Posts
xPiZZeRx said:
And it could give a spin effect on the paintball if the barrel has spiral porting which could make the paintball slice through the air easier, and fly straighter.

Whoever told you this is full of it, or just heard it from someone else and didn't know any better. Porting has no physical effect on the paintball at all. The only thing it does is release the pressure from the barrel a little early (due to which the only real effect is noise reduction).

As far as efficiency, the amount of difference in air usage is so miniscule that you won't notice, unless you're conducting controlled experiments specifically designed to find out. Which most of us aren't :).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so why bother with porting at all?

·
Registered
873 Posts
As long as the PBs are cronoed the same speed the distance will be the same unless a spin is put on the ball... (A whole other can of worms I won't open) :)
Like they said in earlier posts the only loss would be a slightly more gas used per shot.

Gandhi said:
oh sorry i took your guys use of effiency for the amount of gas released per shot. But then why bother with porting if you'll get a more powerful shot, i would trade distance for quietness any day.

·
Jabroni Scorpion
164 Posts
pigstick said:
Why does paint go flying all over the place if one of my porting holes if plugged then?
One hole being plugged makes your paint fly differently? Plugged with what? If you mean when the get paint in them after a break, it has nothing to do with air or porting. Paint inside your barrel causes all sorts of craziness. Curves, spins, loss of range. Forgive me, but I'm pretty sure that unless you're plugging the holes with something that's sticking into the barrel, it has nothing to do with your paint travel. Perhaps you should shoot better paint, get a better barrel, and work on getting your marker steady over a chrono.

·
Jabroni Scorpion
164 Posts
xPiZZeRx said:
Are you serious?

Don't even bother plugging up the porting holes with something.
I'm kinda wondering why someone would plug the holes too. The only reason I know of to bother doing anything to your porting, is rain. Then you just tape over them (if you're that worried about it). And again, that doesn't change the path the paint takes, just makes it louder.

·
Registered
873 Posts
There's nothing wrong with testing something to see if it makes a difference but before he posted the innaccurate results he should have gotten rid of a couple of variables first such as clamping the marker to a nonmoving surface, and doing a series of fires with and without the blocked port. Even then the varying shape of paintballs causes enough noise in the testing results that such a small change would probably be hidden. After firing many with an unblocked port it would give you a control to compare to the blocked test.

·
Registered
48 Posts
porting gets rid of trublulence that would be behind the ball as it exited the barrel which could change its course

·
Jabroni Scorpion
164 Posts
SFOD_D said:
porting gets rid of trublulence that would be behind the ball as it exited the barrel which could change its course
Myth numberr 50,421. They started telling people that because "it's quieter" wasn't selling barrels. Well, not a total myth really, but the idea that this makes a barrel more accurate...that's a myth. Yes, it lets the air out early. What does it do? Noise goes down, air usage goes up (by a fraction).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts