Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I recently made a thread about my truck. I have a 1992 chevy 1500 extended cab with a 4.3l v6, with 231k on the clock. And now Im back for some more advice. I've had some problems with my truck since I got it. But really, what can you expect, 231k with only the alternator and water pump replaced.

But on to the problem. My truck just seems to lose power. It's almost like it's flooding, but I dont think it is. I can floor it in first, its fine. Then usually its fine in second. But when I hit third, or any gear above that, if I give it to much gas(especially going up a hill), it just loses power. It has a hard time going up any decently sized hill becuase of this. Now I think it may be something with the drivetrain somewhere. This is my guess because occasionally it feels like being a hoebag and "floods" in second. When I give it the gas it jumps ahead like it's going to accelerate, but then it just loses that and then accelerates slowly. It's almost like if you rev it up high, then dump the clutch, but the thing is, this happens when Im not even touching the clutch.... sooo I dont know. It is extremely annoying though, because I really cant use 5th at all unless i do over 65. Becuase if I give it to much gas, especially up a hill, I lose speed. Last I checked, when you floor it, you should gain speed, not lose it :rolleyes: . It's really annoying though and sort of hard to explain, so if that doesnt make sense, I'll try to explain it better.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
do you have a TBI(round air filter) or CPI(smaller square air filter) 4.3l?

have you tried running some seafoam or other fuel treatment through it?

checked all fluids?

does it act funny when in nutral or reverse?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
manual or auto? i think from how you described it it's manual... i'd say check your plugs/wires.. otherwise maybe somethings wrong with your air/fuel mix? i'm tired, so i cant think much, but i'd check the plugs.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a TBI. And yes it's a manual. I havent checked the plugs yet. However, right now im leaning more towards a clutch than anything. The thing is, the clutch is pretty old, it sat for a year, then I learned to drive a stick on it, so it's been beat on a bit. Plus when it "floods" it seems to shake, almost like it's popping out of gear, the tone of the engine doesnt change at all, but i still lose speed. My dirtbike did this to me at one point, but it was a lot more severe.

I need to check the plugs badly though. The same plugs have been in it since we got it, and that was years and a 150,000 miles ago. And I plan on taking it to a mechanic. My dad's friend who happens to be one of our tenants is a mechanic and does all the work for us. He's just been gone for the last week, so I figured I'd ask PBF.

Thanks for the help guys, its very much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts