Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first off I would like to inform you that I am extremely new to paintball. I have played one game of woodsball and rented some gun (I don't even remember what gun it was.) Long story short I was hooked. I plan on buying a tippman platinum 98 custom. I also am going to upgrade this gun (defenatly barrel upgrade) and I want to know if a regular 98/98c barrel will fit. I also will probably get hpa but other than that I am open to suggestions for other upgrades. Oh and would a j&j 14 in tippy 98c barrel fit tippy platinum 98c. I really want to go all out on this gun sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The barrel will fit just fine. Don't waste your time on any other upgrades they don't ever accomplish much of anything to justify the cost. I'd also recommend you consider a few different markers rather than settling right away on the Tippmann. Not to knock the trusty old 98C but this is a great time to be getting started in paintball and there are plenty of fantastic and affordable entry level markers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I will admit I didn't look at many other markers. However I have only heard good things about 98c. I probably will only play woodsball, any suggestions on a specific gun/were to look for diffrent options?

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
i got nothing against the good old 98c (ok actually thats a lie, i do but im not getting into it) but for the money tippmann wants for it now a days you can get something much much better

look into spyder, a basic mechanical spyder will have the same performance while being shorter and lighter, just as reliable much much easier to do maintenance on (for all the tippmanns you basically have to split them in half) while costing half as much

now spend about the same money on both and you can find something like the spyder electra, over a 98c it will be, lighter, shorter, double finger e-trigger, eyes (something that tippmann has never even tried to use) a clamping feedneck, on/off asa, regulator, still be easier to do maintenance on and will still work on CO2 and basically be everything tippmann wants you to believe their markers are

clearly a better choice in todays market, tippmann just hasnt kept up with the times but there are still a lot of tippmann fan boys out there that will not let go of te idea that anything tippmann produces is pure paintball gold, sorry but it hasnt been for quite some time now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the big things I liked about the 98c was that I could upgrade as I go. If it turned out I didn't like the 98c then I didn't have a ton of money in it. If I really liked it I could have response trigger, better barrel, cyclone etc. Could I still do that with other guns to the extent I could with a 98c?

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
One of the big things I liked about the 98c was that I could upgrade as I go.
which is a terrible idea and exactly what tippmann wants you to do, thats why they dont put anything on it stock, we call it the "tippmann upgrade tredmill" new player gets a tippmann, gets a few basic upgrades to help performance, gets a few more more expensive ones, buys everything tippmann offers for it, then realizes they spent $500 on a $150 marker and its still not better than a used invert mini at $200, doesnt matter which low end marker you get, with the cost of a mid range marker now a days if you even get a few upgrades like the responce trigger and cyclone you have already spent what you can pick up a used mid range marker for but you still have a low end that will never shoot as well as a mid range will stock. you CAN upgrade anything, is it a good idea? that depends, for the low end stuff, the answer is no, not beyond a barrel anyway

so here is my suggestion, take a close look at the electra, it comes with a clamping feedneck and on/off asa stock which are 2 of the most common upgrades, you have already saved yourself $60 in aftermarket parts, already has a e-trigger, theres an extra $100 on the tippmann, throw out the cyclone idea, its not that great of a loader and you cant put it on whichever marker you get next, its stuck on the 98 and you will have to buy a new hopper once you move on, instead find a standard hopper like the invert halo too, at $70 its a great loader and will keep up with whatever you put it on, even if you do get a 98 this is a better idea. a $30 J&J ceramic barrel is one upgrade we will suggest for a low end, its cheap enough to not kill your wallet, will really help your accuracy and will help the resale value of your marker. HPA is a good investment, like the hopper it can go onto whichever marker is next and will help performance on this one. when you do though dont go cheap, find a nice 4500psi tank

this is one of my gripes with tippmann, they make it easy to "upgrade" their markers when in fact the vast majority of stuff they sell does nothing, bolts dont help, cyclone sucks and other hoppers do a better job of loading, Low pressure kits are a joke, while they finally got a barrel kit released a while back its way too expensive and they sell it with refiling (refiling does nothing for paintballs just FYI)you wanting to sink money into the marker after you buy it is exactly what tippmann wants, thats where they make a lot of money, selling you crap and emptying your wallet at the same time

this is why i suggest spyder and will untill they start making crap, electra has everything you could want in an entry level marker and is the same price as the tippmann that you will have to upgrade and still will never be able to make as good as the electra is stock

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all your help. I have looked over other markers and I can see that many are better. I think that the spyder Electra is better and I think I will get it/something similar.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Better means different things to different people. Something like an electronic Spyder will certainly give you more features and firepower for your money. The trade-off is that you give up the ability to easily customize (not upgrade there's a difference!) your marker like you get with Tippmanns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So as far as the Electra goes, should I do anything to it? New barrel? Hey thanks again, that's why I came to this forum with out all your help I probably would have spent like $350 on a 98c.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A mask? Is it really that big of a deal? I have honestly given almost no thought about a mask. Why is it so important? What makes one diffrent from another? What would I look for? Were should I look for it? There seems to be alot more talk about markers than masks. If it is really important why is there little talk about it.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
why is it important? well only because it protects your face, i mean if your eyes are not that important to you you can not get one....

a good thermal lens mask is what you are looking for, the mask is by far the most important piece of equipment, id take a nice mask and a crappy marker over my high end setup with a crappy mask anyday. low end masks will fog on you and you cant shoot what you cant see. a thermal lens is like a duel pane window so moisture will not stick to it and cause fogging, anti-fog coating are crap

heres how to find the mask for you, go to your local shop, try on a bunch, find one with a thermal lens (also known as a double lens) that fits your head right, not all masks will fit everyone the same, shake your head around and make sure you can tighten it up enough so it wont move around, once you have done that, ignore the pricetag and buy it. like i said, most important piece of equipment

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I'm tired and I've had some beers, I'm going to ramble now.

If you read nothing else, that's good. It is probably better that way.

Read this line: Listen to the posts above. Buy a *great* mask. Don't spend a bunch of money on a Tippmann parts, buy a used barrel upgrade if you find it and want something.

Now on with that rambling.

I have a tool bag full of old style Tippmann 98 Customs.

I have a pretty heavily modded 98C with the flatline and a bunch of other Tippmann and other brand goodies on it that I've 'upgraded' nearly constantly from when I bought it until I stopped playing. It was a hobby in and of itself- "What can I do to this now?"

I have another one that had all the high-end goodies I could find on it. The Low-Pressure kit, the E-bolt, center feed kit, the...whatever other else kit and mods I could find.

There's a third that I never finished where I cut the body down and started to build a custom E-bolt inside of it using a Morlock board, eyes and everything.
And I think that with the parts I could make most of a fourth.

I don't feel I wasted the money. I don't play competitively and had no intention of doing so. I like to take things apart, I like to change things. So, like building a model car or something. I did it just to do it. In the end, even with all those parts, it will still be a long, heavy, awkwardly shaped marker. AND, all those changes take away from the "zOMG RELIABLE" thing.

I used to be in charge of a small field operation too. When the field (actually a college club field, the school owned the land and equipment, I just did the work and organization) bought new markers to replace our really cheap spyder clones, I wanted to go with 98C's. The model at the time was the Custom Pro, and I hated that damn thing. I wanted the old 98's. The one that created the whole "Tippmann Tough" reputation. The new ones were not that. I was further pissed off because for what we spent I could have bought twice as many used old style Tippmanns online and everyone would have been happier. The used market is awesome for deals if you want a Tippmann...unless you get ripped off buying some super gun with a million parts already on it that the owner wants a huge sum of money for. Stay away from that. The field also used...get ready...cheaper masks. And players usually hated them. It was rare that someone could get the mask to both fit comfortably and not fog. The staff wore our own masks, which were clearly better because we bought them ourselves.

If you get a Spyder, I see an Electra mentioned above, you can find a good deal on a barrel for it if you find you need it. I'd recommend a motorized hopper as slightly more important though. It'll keep the marker well fed so when you pull the trigger it'll be ready to shoot instead of being ready to break paint and make a mess of itself. There are plenty of mods for Spyders too. I got into that for a while too. It was a bit more "hands on" the way I did it (see how much I can do without buying anything). But there's no shortage of parts for them to be sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like Tippmanns because well you can add a bunch of things to them. So I'm playing the sport and making a hobby at the same time. Here and there I'll just get another part for my Tippmann. People tell me that Tippmann is overrated and stuff and people say the samething about how they just want your money thats why you have to buy all these different parts. I dont care because I get a kit for my gun and work on it at the table for awhile and be like sweet look at that. So its a hobby to me and load of fun playing with the gun on the field. I love my tippy and I'm staying with it for a pretty long time.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
you dont need to take the barrel off to swab it

once again, Tippmann has told you there is a "feature" on one of their markers that is actually not there

not to mention if you think that is worth the extra money then sure go for it. but looking at the facts the electra comes with so much more on it stock and is just as reliable. the 98 or any tippmann right now is not as good of a choice

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
and? have you ever seen the mud fields pros play on with elecros? sometimes they are closer to swamps than fields.

i play in the rain with my gear all the time, last time out after getting hit with paint i just threw my e-cocker under a stream of water coming off of the canopy i was under. name brand stuff at least is a lot more rugged than people think and as long as you do maintenance it will keep running, believe it or not Tippmann is not the only marker that can go through what you put your 98 through and come out just fine, in fact they have lost some reliability since 04 when the company changed hands because they changed some parts over so they were cheaper to produce

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That feature on the Tippmann is nice if you are using a pull through/ cable squeegee but most people are using swabs now. With a swab you can clean your barrel out in a few seconds. I still prefer the pull throughs myself and keep one for when I come off the field but on the field a swab is almost essential.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts