Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i was just wondering, is it normal for a power supply unit to start pouring out white smoke from the back of your computer? and the burning smell, that's ok too? it is? oh, thanks guys, glad to know it.

My power unit went out on saturday night, and almost took the house with it. I was running killdisk on my computer (to try to troubleshoot it, i thought the hard drive was faulty and was being a jerk). Anyways, i started it up via booted floppy, and walked away (the process takes at least 2 hours). I planned on watching a simpsons dvd marathon, but decided to get a drink before hand. thank god i did. As i was walking into the kitchen, i just happened to glance at the computer screen. It was blank. At first, i didn't think anything of it, but then it hit me; "Hey, that screen is supposed to be ON, not OFF." I walked over to the computer, and was hit by a strong wave of burning something. At first, i thought it was my mom cooking, but then i remembered she was in her room. My nose lead me to the rear panel of the computer. Sniff, Sniff. Then, before my very eyes, i saw a wisp, then a strand, then a frickin avalanche, of white smoke start to pour out of the back of the power supply. I quickerly pulled the plug on the comp, and took a few steps back. about 5 minutes later, when i was sure it really wasn't going to blow up on my, i decided to take it apart and figure out what was up. One of the main capacators had started to leak out this ooze, and once the ooze hit the hot spot on the broken capacitor, it smoked. If i had gone into my room and stayed in there, i might've lost my house;0 .

So paintballforum techies, always remember, trick's are for kids!

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
My computer hard reset itself last night and I don't know exactly why. I was leaning towards power supply and was upset, but when I started it back up like five minutes later it was fine and has been running ever since.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol it's over 5 years old, a no-namer that came with the computer. my dad bought the parts and had someone put it together, so 1/2 the parts are junk (not his fault: he didn't know). I picked up a 400 watt Ultra V series, not too bad for the low power i use it for.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My computer hard reset itself last night and I don't know exactly why. I was leaning towards power supply and was upset, but when I started it back up like five minutes later it was fine and has been running ever since.
Yeah, mine was in spontaneous reboot...i thought it was either hard drive or power supply, but some "smarter" people told me it was either the new video card i had or the motherboard. so much for them.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
The reason I think it was my power supply was because initially I tried to turn it back on immediately and after about 15 seconds it shut off again. But as I said, when I let it sit for a while it was fine.

I'll probably keep my eye out for a new one, but since I'm broke I won't get a new one right away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts