Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

Is the goal of incarceration to punish the guilty? Or is it to keep them away from society while they can be fixed?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
both. (btw i think its funny when ppl pronounce it "boLth" with the L in the middle...try it yourself, you might say it like that and not even know it, i dont tho)

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Both because for more serious crimes punishment and death (life sentence/death sentence) but for the mentally challenged chriminals, rehablilitation.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Prison is worthless. It's supposed to be a rehabilitation measure, but it is totally not a rehab measure. Most convicts will leave and either commit crimes again, or be ****ed in the head from prison.

·
12,110 Posts
Pr0ph3t said:
Prison is worthless. It's supposed to be a rehabilitation measure, but it is totally not a rehab measure. Most convicts will leave and either commit crimes again, or be ****ed in the head from prison.
damn are you a carpenter? You hit the nail right on the head. thumup:

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
only thing that comes out of prisons are BM and BA...Big Muscles and Bad Attitudes

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
Spare me the political crap, but if you want a good book explaining what needs to be done with the prison systems, I suggest Guns, Crime, and Freedom.

If you're want to read the other parts, w/e, but the parts about prisons and the judicial system are grade-A writing.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I have to disagree with some of you, its not suppose to be a rehibilitation center. Its suppose to be punishment. Hell why would they have it they way it is if it wasnt? if it was for rehabilitation they would let them live their normal lives and see a phsychiatrist.

Its like they say, you did the crime, you do the time.

Not you did the time, we make you better.

Prison= punishment, with some rehablitation(but not the purpose they are there)

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
toXic said:
I have to disagree with some of you, its not suppose to be a rehibilitation center. Its suppose to be punishment. Hell why would they have it they way it is if it wasnt? if it was for rehabilitation they would let them live their normal lives and see a phsychiatrist.

When prison was brought to this country, it came as a rehabilitation measure. If you stick someone somewhere for 20 years of their life for killing their neighbor, you are going to try to reform them, no? Prison is punishment, and rightfully so. But it is also a failed form of rehabilitation.

·
Free Ballin
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pr0ph3t said:

Its the only deterrent against crime... what else would you have us do?

·
6,721 Posts
toXic said:

the prison system actually (is supposed to have) has 5 purposes; Rehabilitation, Retribution, Incapacitation, Deterrance, and Restitution

ya I took criminology classes :D

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
MrMacDude said:
Good point... but there's no other way. Other than torture... that would be a way better deterrent.

Not that I advocate that. But it is food for thought.
Look, I'm all about prison and stuff, but make it work. Just locking someone away in a cell for 20 years doesn't accomplish anything. Look at the Gulags in Soviet Russia - they scared the populace ****less. Why? Because it was actually Hell on Earth. THAT was a deterrant. NO ONE wanted to go to the Gulags. Absolutely no one. This country needs SOMETHING a bit more than just a cell sentence.

What is that something? I have no idea..

·
I'm on your back.
1,882 Posts
We need TRUE sentancing.

If the judge says 60-life, you serve 60-life.

You don't get out after 20 for various, rediculous reasons.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
zpyro said:
the prison system actually (is supposed to have) has 5 purposes; Rehabilitation, Retribution, Incapacitation, Deterrance, and Restitution

ya I took criminology classes :D
Yes, but WHY are they having to do all 5 of those? AS A PUNISHMENT!

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
flowbob said:
both. (btw i think its funny when ppl pronounce it "boLth" with the L in the middle...try it yourself, you might say it like that and not even know it, i dont tho)

i agree with both your statements. Prison should be a place where prisoners are punished and are also being prepared for when they get out.

(to comment on the boLth thing. I HATE IT!! why put extra letters in it's like how some people say waRsh instead of wash)

·
12,110 Posts
I got it. I know the solution. Kill them.

Honestly, if you take a mans life for any reason other then accident, or self defense, you deserve to die. Firing squad, drowning, I dont care how painful/less. Just make it cheap.

They get warm meals, a roof over their head, running water and a toilet in every room. Many law abiding americans don't even have that.

·
6,721 Posts
toXic said:
Yes, but WHY are they having to do all 5 of those? AS A PUNISHMENT!
do you mean that it should only be retribution? because not all cases are cut-and-dry you did something very wrong and now you deserve to be punished.
like the 3-strikes law in cali. people have gone to prison over very small things that were considered their third strike. granted, they did 2 things wrong before, but what if they were living a clean, normal life since those 2 bad things, and the third was a mistake, maybe they didnt even do it or it was an accident or something like that. do you think it's REALLY fair to put them away for decades because of this 3rd strike?
on the other hand, there are people addicted to drugs. they aren't even in the same ballpark as cold-blooded murderers. their crimes are not malicious (in respect to their drug use, not crimes related to it like shooting their dealer etc.), as in not committed to harm others or deprive others of their rights. why should they receive the same sentence as someone who knowingly and willingly took someone else's life?
those murderers, as well as the rapists, molesters etc. SHOULD be locked up forever, which is not only retribution but incapacitation, cuz they arent going to be raping and molesting children if they're in prison til their dicks fall off (so what if they rape some other rapist, he deserves it :dodgy: )
and it is true that prison is not a deterrent any longer. I'm sure some homeless people commit crimes just so they can go to jail or prison because at least there they get 3 square meals a day and a bed to sleep on. it really should be hell on earth, but then it would likely be considered "cruel and unusual" and because of the wussy society we live in, it wont happen any time soon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts