Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i'm upgrading my paintball mask. What I am looking for is a mask that does not fog. I am also considering a full protection mask such as a JT flex 8 full protection mask. I am also considering getting a fan for it.

What do you guys think of this mask. Is full coverage worth it? And is there a better mask for the same price. And where is a good place to buy masks at a better price. Thanks

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The pros are you get a little more protection against having your bell rung from a shot to the back of your head. The cons are they get very hot and make it harder to hear which sucks for woodsball and well just sucks in general. If you want a mask that doesn't fog buy a real thermal mask and not a mask with an antifog lens. Also if you can try them on first a mask that fits better will also cut back on fogging and your overall experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Real Thermal?

The pros are you get a little more protection against having your bell rung from a shot to the back of your head. The cons are they get very hot and make it harder to hear which sucks for woodsball and well just sucks in general. If you want a mask that doesn't fog buy a real thermal mask and not a mask with an antifog lens. Also if you can try them on first a mask that fits better will also cut back on fogging and your overall experience.
What do you mean real thermal. The jt flex 8 says its a thermal mask. It says it has dual pane glasses. Does that make it thermal? Thanks for the fast reply.

·
Administrator
14,069 Posts
It says it has dual pane glasses.
yes, a true thermal mask will have 2 layers of plastic with air inbetween, like a dual pane window. lots of stuff out there is labeled as "thermal-cured" and "anti-fog" but you want a true thermal lens

I have only ever seen a few people actually like the full coverage masks, they are just too uncomfortable it seems for use all the time

i suggest a normal mask and something along these lines

Dye Headwrap Sandana - Woodland - (#STR)

they are called sandanas and they dont look like much but trust me they really help absorb the impact when you take one to the head. not nearly as uncomforatable as full coverage masks and you dont have to compromise on your mask choice either

also, if you have a true thermal mask, chances are you will not need a fan, there are only a select few people i have come across that can sweat hard enough to fog a thermal lens

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I dig my VForce Profiler. Great visiblity, thermal lens and solid coverage. Read OP wrong. Couldn't find the delete button for my post.
I think I want something with more protection than that. The last time I played I got shot 3 times in the back of the head and 2 times on top of the head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help. If I were to get a sandana what would be a good thermal mask for about $40?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think I want something with more protection than that. The last time I played I got shot 3 times in the back of the head and 2 times on top of the head.
Getting popped in the melon does suck, but it's not too bad. I equate my paintball mask to my motorcycle helmet. Do I want to go big and bulky to cover my face and head or go with just the hard shell on top and maybe a balcava on my face. Honestly, I'm going with the latter. I feels better and I don't have breathing issues. It's all about personal preference. Along those lines, a Sandana as Trbo posted or even a wool cap works just as well. I use a wool cap with my Profiler and long as I don't get bunkered, the back of my head stays paint free.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
You can look for bounce caps like the hundredth monkey turtle cap or something similar, or wear a beanie if you want more head protection

If you can find a local palace that sells full head masks, try one on and see what you think
Like Craw said, they do get very hot, and I think that's the biggest con for them.

I wear my Vents Avatars with the forehead protector, and usually some sort of head wrap as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dye invision

I found a used dye invision on eBay. Are those masks good and how much would one on good condition be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
People keep saying the protos are nice. I looked them up and others said they fogged which is my biggest problem with the ones I have now. Do the protos fog?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts