Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so before buying my Apex 2, I knew that the 14" would not fit regularly on my Project Salvo. After watching a YouTube video of a guy doing the same exact thing, it didn't work at all the same way for me. First of all, after moving the barrel tip two notches down to give an extra inch, the tip was wobbly and I knew would break balls very easily. So then I decided I would just use a Dremel and bore out my shroud to fit it. It's working fine, now my problem comes to the threads of the barrel. Nobody in the reviews or anything mentioned this but apparently aftermarket barrels for Tippmann guns tend to not fit very tightly. So to no surprise, my shroud is very loose only when the Apex barrel is inside. It is fully screwed in, the threads are the same, and the barrel ends look almost exactly identical. I can't pinpoint the spot on either barrel that is responsible for making it tight. I posted a picture below in hopes that someone can help me decipher what part I need to modify(again) on my Apex for it to fit tight. My guess is the notch right below the o-ring, but I don't know why. Someone please help me!

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
It's not the barrel, it's the female threads inside the gun. Make sure that the two body halves are screwed together completely.

or you may have just bought a shoddy aftermarket barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the barrel, it's the female threads inside the gun. Make sure that the two body halves are screwed together completely.
I thought so too, but I have tightened everything in that area and it only happens with the Apex barrel, not the stock barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
APEX is making full barrels now? Interesting.

I would contact them and see what they say. You may just have a bad barrel.
Sadly there is nothing wrong with it. A schematic shows the exact same thing that I physically have. As well as videos of it being disassembled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Contact them anyhow and explain that it fits loosely.
Alright, will do in the morning when they're support office is open. In the meantime anyhow, does anyone have a clue what exactly is causing it. I can conclude it is the barrel but I would just like to know what it is missing or what it has that won't let it tighten.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remove the shroud and see if the barrel screws in properly.
I mean it screws in all the way fine, it just doesn't seem to lock the front bolt tightly like the stock one does. And I can see now that the notch below the o ring has nothing to do with it. But that must mean the barrel is a little thinner than necessary then if there is a gap for it to move around.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Are you positive that it's the barrel that is loose, and not the shroud? I found this information about a J&J barrel.

Can I put this J & J barrel on my . . .

Tippmann 98 Custom: Yes.
Alpha Black Elite: Yes, though the barrel may be loose in the shroud. This is something that can be easily fixed with some electrical tape.
Alpha Black / Bravo One: Yes, though the barrel may be loose in the shroud. This is something that can be easily fixed with some electrical tape.
Project Salvo / Sierra One: Yes, though the barrel may be loose in the shroud. This is something that can be easily fixed with some electrical tape.
Carver One: Yes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you positive that it's the barrel that is loose, and not the shroud? I found this information about a J&J barrel.
Yeah, well the shroud is always loose unless supported by a barrel because it only has one screw connecting it. It is most definitely the barrel/thread. But I am going to finish milling it out and see if maybe the shroud will just hold it in place. I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks for the help man, appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
APEX is making full barrels now? Interesting.

I would contact them and see what they say. You may just have a bad barrel.
they always did. the apex started as a full barrel with the thing on the end. people just wanted to move the thing on the end to other barrels so they released just the tip

1 - 14 of 14 Posts