Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE NO DISCUSSION ABOUT IF IT IS RIGHT OR WRONG. IT ONLY LEADS TO MASSIVE FLAMING!

so anyway, i heard that you can use and ambilcal(sp?) cord for stem cell research. is it true, cuz that would be cool.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ha i saw that, that was funnah, south park rox

so if they can use ambilcal cords, then why dont they??? or do they?

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Yes, I will outline the basic concept involved for anybody who is interested and doesn't understand it. Please remove/edit this if the mods deem it controversial.

Basically neural cells don't grow. When you damage nerves they don't repair themselves, they are incapable, this is why spinal cord injuries and brain injuries result in permanent damage: nerve cells are incapapable of reproduction which is required in reparation and growth.

Stem cells are what all cells are before they become what they are. It's like the jack of all trades cell. It can become a muscle cell, a blood cell, a fat cell, a neural cell, anything, but after a certain point in development, all of your stem cells have differentiated into what they are needed to be so you don't have any more left, or else the stem cells could become new nerves to repair the damaged ones.

The theory is that if you were to successfully introduce stem cells into a spinal cord victim, the cells would develop into the necessary nerve cells required to repair the damage and reinstate function. The problem is that stem cells exist only in newborns, and whether or not it is ethical to use the tissues of newborns, such as umbilical cords from live newborns, or many different tissues from miscarriages and stillborns etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts