Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really new to paintball (only played twice) and I have a few questions.

I've been playing with my friend's old Spider and I finally just got my new Tippmann A-5 for Christmas. Haven't gotten to try it out in a real game yet, but I'm counting the days untill Spring so I can. Ok, now to the questions.

1) I'm considering getting a new barrel for my Tippmann A-5. I found a really nice 21'' new barrel on Ebay for about 40$. Now, my question is: Does size really matter when it comes to barrels? Would a 16'' be just as good as a 20''?

2) The times I did play I enjoyed it very much. I'm a pretty decent player from what my friends have told me, and I'm just wondering if there are any painball fields around the Martinsburg, West Virgina area (if anyone has ever been there)?

3) I'm just wondering what some other people think of the A-5. Personally, I think it's great, but I just want to know some other opinions. Also, if you use a different gun, why do you like it. I'm just interested in knowing all of the pros and cons to some of the guns out there.

Well, that's it. Hope you can answer some of those questions smile.gif

·
Registered
176 Posts
1) Do not go over 16". It is unneccesary. I personally would stick with a 14" barrel, but 16" is fine.

2) http://marge.phys.washington.edu/paintball/ Go search your heart out.

3) Its not like the A-5 is a bad gun, i just would have gone with the 98 c. I dont like the whole feeding system in the A-5, its a gas hog and a blender.

I like my borg because its efficient, small, Light, and Fast with the stock board. Plus its electro-pneumatic.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
1) dont exceed 16" like was said... anything over that will cause you to actually use more air because the barrel will slow the ball down and you'll have to turn the velocity up. most people use a 12,14, or 16"

2) you could also try the regional forums on here for people to play with at fields near you or in the state.

3) the A-5 is an okay gun, my main problem with the a-5 is how fast it goes through co2, and the weight is sometimes a problem. a 98c would definitely be a good alternative.

right now i dont have a gun, but i'm looking at mags because not too many people have them, they're light, and can be pretty quick.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
16 will be better than 21...

Go to pbn and click fields/stores, that will show you what is local for you.

The A5 is a good starter gun, pretty much indestructable... Choosing to upgrade the barrel is a good move on your part.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love the a-5, its a reliable accurate and well distanced gun. Especially if you are playing woodsball as your main type of game. I have friends who I go speedballing with and they bring their A-5's and we just rock all these speedballers with their ions and intimitators. Its not the Gun that makes the player, but the A-5 is a very reliable gun, I personally find it more reliable than a 98custom, as for the cyclone, its a good system and doesn't use up that much gas... if you really don't like the cyclone because of the extra gas usage, get over it and buy another tank.

as for the barrel, I would recommend a 14" I'll probably get a 14" J&J Ceramic with an A-5 (that i plan to purchase when my finances are better)... that is until I can afford a flatline system.

·
Registered
263 Posts
lets-c-u-dance said:
no more than 16 cuz a paintball reaches maximum velocity at 8 inch and anything after that just slows it down,
im pretty sure that how it is, correct me if im wrong anyone
Your right.... but dont go over 14" at 16" and more you use more gas/air..... 12" to 14" is perfect.

The A5 is a good marker. My freind has one....dont get the flatline..... he has it and it is not accurate at all..... get a good name brand. Dye, Smart Parts, J+J, CP..... also read the stickies...they are full of good information! ;)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
OneAndOnly said:
I'm really new to paintball (only played twice) and I have a few questions.
That's what were here for.

OneAndOnly said:
I've been playing with my friend's old Spider and I finally just got my new Tippmann A-5 for Christmas. Haven't gotten to try it out in a real game yet, but I'm counting the days untill Spring so I can. Ok, now to the questions.
Glad to see you like the sport, your going to love it when you get to play it more, and use your own gear :).

OneAndOnly said:
1) I'm considering getting a new barrel for my Tippmann A-5. I found a really nice 21'' new barrel on Ebay for about 40$. Now, my question is: Does size really matter when it comes to barrels? Would a 16'' be just as good as a 20''?
A new barrel is always good, unless it's too big. If you go any longer than 14" or 16", then the extra length creates unneeded friction on the ball, and it bounces around in the barrel and slows down, making you have to turn up your velocity, and use more air, for the same effect a smaller barrel would have to begin with.

You must also be cautious not to get too short of a barrel. The first 8" of the barrel needs to fit the bore size of the ball perfectly, that's why most people use kits, they have a back and front piece, and the back is interchangable, so you have many bore sizes.

I would reccomend a barrel that is 12" or 14" long, as for the brand, if you want a 1 piece, I would suggest a CP 1 piece, or a Lapco Bigshot/Autospirit. Those are some great barrels. If you want to spend the extra and get a kit, then there are even more options, and the quality of some can be argued for hours. Look around on google if you have any other questions about which barrel to buy. It will link you to some great sites.

OneAndOnly said:
2) The times I did play I enjoyed it very much. I'm a pretty decent player from what my friends have told me, and I'm just wondering if there are any painball fields around the Martinsburg, West Virgina area (if anyone has ever been there)?
Can't help you on that one, but you can go into the regional section, and post looking for fields in your area.

OneAndOnly said:
3) I'm just wondering what some other people think of the A-5. Personally, I think it's great, but I just want to know some other opinions. Also, if you use a different gun, why do you like it. I'm just interested in knowing all of the pros and cons to some of the guns out there.
The Tippman A-5 is a great beginner marker. It's durable as a tank, reliable, you won't need to upgrade your hopper because of the cyclone feed, and it's highly customizable. It sounds like you just like playing woodsball, so this marker is perfect. But if in the spring when you begin to play at commercial fields, you begin to like Speedball more, then don't put too much into this gun, because it will not keep up with the fast paced play of Speedball.

OneAndOnly said:
Well, that's it. Hope you can answer some of those questions smile.gif
:tup.

·
Registered
445 Posts
dont go over 16 inches dude, and thats just to move the bunker when shootin, if you play woods buy 14, and as for the A-5, its iight, good reliable durable gun....doesnt shoot very fast, but really good gun for you to start with

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. I am a little dissapointed now though. I heard from a couple of my friends that the bigger the barrel, the better. So I went ahead and bought the barrel, thinking you guys would tell me the same thing. Guess I'm screwed now, based on the information you gave me. It's a 21'' barrel.

I'm trying to put together a sniper gun, and that's why I went with the longer barrel. I guess I just have one more question now:

Will my new 21'' barrel be better than my stock barrel I have now? I'm guessing (hoping also) that the answer is yes. Also, if it is yes, by how much? I'm only 13 right now, and can't really afford throwing away money so I'm just hoping the answer is yes. Thanks again for the answers so far :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It probably won't be any better than the barrel you have now. It's gonna slow the ball down alot, and your goinng to have to raise your velocity, thus using more air per shot. I would say try and sell it to one of your friends/sombody else, and get another barrel.

·
Silly Boston Its no Bomb
2,195 Posts
yes it will probably own ur stock but its gonna use more gas and ur gonna have to turn the velocity up. if you dont mind puting the velocity up it should be fine even though a 14 would of been smarter

·
Registered
995 Posts
dont go above 16''. even 14''. Why? The longer the barrel, the more friction and drag that is put on the ball. Wht does friction do? It slows it down. Then, to compensate for the lost speed, you turn up your velocity, thus using more air, turning your gun into a gas hog.

Go with a J&J 14''. I'm osrry you wasted your money, b/c a 21'' barrel is just too big.

You mentioned that you want a sniper gun. Theres no such thing as snipers in paintball. Theres no one shot silent kill. Paintballs curve when they leave the gun. Dont buy a scope either. They are worthless because of the same reason.

edit:
o0o0o0o i see they brought rep points back?? /off topic

<--------

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. The gas thing won't be a problem. I mean, it only costs me like 3$ to fill my 20oz anyway. I realize I'll have to turn my velocity up, but my 21'' will shoot alot farther won't it?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Heh. Well, you dont relize how fast you'll run out of co2. Its a pain in the ass when you run out when your shooting.

Not ALOT, but it may make a difference. Not enough to go out and buy a 21'' barrel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, with my friends old spider, I only went through one 20oz tank in two days. Two days of paintball and I still had some left. I'm a very, VERY, conservative shooter I guess, that's why I'm trying to make my gun into more of a sniper gun. (In the sense of, shoots farther, more accurate, straighter shot, etc.)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You won't get it to shoot farther, all paintball markers can achieve the same range. This is because of the legal limit being 300 fet per second. If it were higher, we could shoot further, but any higher and it begins to get unsafe.

And the debate has been made a thousand times about snipers.
You can dress like one, have gear that looks like what a sniper would have, and act like one, but you can't be one in paintball. The range is not there, and the accuracy of paintballs is just to eratic. I don't think the barrel you bought will out-perform the stock one by much. If at all.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
doublethreatguy said:
edit:
o0o0o0o i see they brought rep points back?? /off topic

<--------
duh fool go check out the lounge lol...silly non-lounge-whore.

anyways 3 bucks for a co2 refill is cheap.

being conservative with paint isnt neccessarily 'being a sniper' maybe you just like to spend your money wisely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if that's the case, why buy a new barrel at all. Why would manufacturers even make new barrels then?

So you're saying my new barrel will not shoot farther, straighter, or have a tighter pattern at all? Sort of hard to believe.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts