Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, just like the title says. I had the flu since last sunday, and haven't had a smoke since then. It didn't bother me when I had the flu, but now its killing me. I knew the mental aspect would suck, but dang, the physical part is even worse. I feel healthy, but everything else sucks. I had an appetite that I never knew that I had, and I'm not even used to eating so much. Plus, all the extra oxygen that your brain gets makes you dizzy all the time. Add cold chills all the time to that as well as all the crap you cough up and it mixes a crap-tacular drink up.

I'm not trying to preach or tell anyone to quit, but if you do, this is what you get to look foward too. Anyone else quit and had it this rough?

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
for me if i don't have nicotine i'll eat everything in sight and i'll have a constant tention headache to the point where i'm useless. i need a snus portion in during class. if i don't i'm a wreck.

quitting sucks. so i don't.

i always have obligations that i know i need nicotine to get through them and i tell myself once it's over i'll stop to get through the withdrawls and that'l be the end of it. but i don't.

like for instance, i have 2 more weeks until i have a month off from college and i'm going home and whatnot. i know now that it's finals i can't quit now because i need to be at my best to study up and test and whatnot. so afterwards i tell myself the month i'm at home i'm not gonna take any nicotine whether it's smoking, dipping, or snus. but i know that once i'm back at home i'll just keep on doing it out of boredom and with my friends at whatnot and just up the anty so i get a buzz.

it sucks. but on the toher hand tobacco in any form is something i just enjoy. but i know it will be my demise someday if i keep this up. but i'm ok with that. for now.. i know i won't later. but that's the problem.

to answer your question- yes. and the people who say it isn't probably wasn't that deep into it or is just trying to sound tough. it really is hard once you're super deep into it. whoever says it isn't is an idiot.

·
Pedobear Supporter
2,526 Posts
to answer your question- yes. and the people who say it isn't probably wasn't that deep into it or is just trying to sound tough. it really is hard once you're super deep into it. whoever says it isn't is an idiot.
I think this argument has come up several times before, but just to reiterate (then I'm done) :

It really depends on the person. My grandfather smoked three packs a week for years and dropped it cold one day. He hasn't had a cigarette since.

It just depends on the brain chemistry of the person in question and how you react to the nicotine.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I'd say it varies from person to person.

I've been smoking on and off since grade 11ish. (and by on and off I mean like, a pack will last me over a month) For example. I bought 3 packs of smokes at the very end of august when I was in costa rica, I just opened the third pack two weekends ago, and I havent had a smoke out of it since then. I usually only smoke on weekends or when I'm partying, but there were times when I smoked multiple times a day. That being said, during those times of heavily smoking I could easily stop once I ran out of cigarrettes and might go weeks before deciding to get another pack.

And I have no doubt I could quit cold turkey right now with now problems (ie: I havent had a smoke in over a week and a half and havent noticed the slightest urge to have another). I dunno, maybe I just lucked out and don't get addicted.

EDIT: if you are going to counter this by "then why do you keep coming back to smoking", it's the same reason some one drinks or smokes pot again, I like the head buzz and I find it a social thing during parties, etc,.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
If you want to go the western way there's smoking cessation pills (Welbutrin, Chantax)

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
EDIT: if you are going to counter this by "then why do you keep coming back to smoking", it's the same reason some one drinks or smokes pot again, I like the head buzz and I find it a social thing during parties, etc,.
lol i wasn't

i guess it just depends how deep you are into it habitually. i know just a few a day or just on the weekends is still considered smoking but when you get up to almost a pack or more a day then it gets rough stopping. i guess it just depends how deep you are into it.

DEFINATELY agree with the brain chemistry thing. i'm just an addictive person. if i like something i'm going to have a lot of it. that doesn't help at all. lol.

edddit again
anyone ever heard or tried snus? in my opinion it's such a safer alternative (not at all safe though i understand that) but statisticly swedish snus is far less carcinogenic than american dip. i understand why it hasn't caught on in america because this "safer" alternative will make kids think it's alright to linger into the nicotine realm. but the stuff has no nasty additives or suger or anything so it won't rot your teeth. doesn't taste too bad either. it's something to look into if you dip.

D

·
0 Posts
guh, i hate dip. It gives ya a hell of a head buzz, but ya cant help but swallow some of it and feel sick.

but yeah, i meant 'you' as the general 'you', haha.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
i hate cigs. I also can't stand dip chew or snus, I can't stand the burning sensation. As for as tobacco goes, I smoke hookah once a week, sometimes more but I never find myself needing to smoke. On rare, rare occasions I'll smoke a cigar or b&m/swisher.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
out of curiousity, what do you guys consider smoking heavily/addiction? I have smoked and not smoked and have never noticed a difficulty in dropping it. The longest I have smoked for though is a month+ with like 7-8 smokes a day.

·
Retired
4,332 Posts
Anyone else quit and had it this rough?
last time i quit, i had lung surgery and spent a month laying in a hospital with a large tube hanging out of my chest.....however, the morphine made not smoking seem all better....but after the hospital, coming off the morphine was quite terrible (ask mrs. sikpup). Quitting sucks. i quit for over a year....the , by reasons of insanity i started again, and ,well, it hasnt gotten any better....

did that help? ;)

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
out of curiousity, what do you guys consider smoking heavily/addiction? I have smoked and not smoked and have never noticed a difficulty in dropping it. The longest I have smoked for though is a month+ with like 7-8 smokes a day.
half a pack to a pack a day i guess. addiction wise i don't really consider habitual addiction part of it in terms of cigarettes becuase..just suck it up lol. but when you get a tention headache and turn irritable without smoking that's addiction.

just the way i personally put it.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I just quit due to health problems. My lung is slowly collapsing, cigarettes probably won't help that go away.

I'm just mad because I have about 8 packs left in my carton....

D

·
0 Posts
DEFINATELY agree with the brain chemistry thing. i'm just an addictive person. if i like something i'm going to have a lot of it. that doesn't help at all. lol.

Yeah, I've been working around the idea of quitting drinking. While I may be able to dodge a nicotine addiction, I dunno if I could stop drinking. I mean, it's not like I actually have a drinking problem, I only ever drink on weekends, and lately it's averaged out to about every third weekend.. (mostly just because of school, when Im back in my home town, it is every weekend, usually twice a weekend) But, that being said, when I do drink, I drink WAY too much.. and the problem is, I can't just drink less. If I get a few beers into me, I just dont stop. Hence, why it seems like it's either quit or continue..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I quite one year ago yesterday, about 1 1/2 packs a day for years quit alot of times before, this time I got it. Hang in there it gets better everyday, the thoughts and cravings get less and less. Just know you cant have just one or you will be right back in it. I hade to quit drinking for a month just to help out very weak for smokes when drinking. Every time you want to smoke tell yourself to wait 15 minutes, the craving will be gone by then STAY WITH IT

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the support guys. The thought of death hasn't really hit hard until this year. My g/f's stepmom passed away this summer and that's when I really wanted to quit, because I don't want the love of my life nor my family to go through this. It hit the hardest the night of october 5th. My grandfather has battled with pancreatic cancer since spring of 06. That night he just fell over and couldn't get up. It killed me to see him laying there in the hospital bed helplessly. He was transported to indy and upon the drive his heart stopped twice. Once he was at indy, he was put on life support, and he did not want that, and he passed away. Sixty years old, just starting to enjoy retirement, and this happened. It still is rough because with my dad being a trucker, he wasn't home that much. Every hobby that I learned, and my passion for automobiles came from him. It wasn't like losing a grandpa-it was like loosing my dad.

While I was sick, I had time to think, and this was something I have been wanting to do for a while, and am sticking to it. I have been smoking consistently since 15, and I'm now 21. When I drink, the problem gets worse-a pack and a half a night. Normally I'd go through 3/4 a pack a day. Now I just want to end it. Every time I get stressed, I grab a smoke. Now, nothing is there to calm me down. But I'm on day number nine without one, and it feels great to say that.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
thanks for the support guys. The thought of death hasn't really hit hard until this year. My g/f's stepmom passed away this summer and that's when I really wanted to quit, because I don't want the love of my life nor my family to go through this. It hit the hardest the night of october 5th. My grandfather has battled with pancreatic cancer since spring of 06. That night he just fell over and couldn't get up. It killed me to see him laying there in the hospital bed helplessly. He was transported to indy and upon the drive his heart stopped twice. Once he was at indy, he was put on life support, and he did not want that, and he passed away. Sixty years old, just starting to enjoy retirement, and this happened. It still is rough because with my dad being a trucker, he wasn't home that much. Every hobby that I learned, and my passion for automobiles came from him. It wasn't like losing a grandpa-it was like loosing my dad.

While I was sick, I had time to think, and this was something I have been wanting to do for a while, and am sticking to it. I have been smoking consistently since 15, and I'm now 21. When I drink, the problem gets worse-a pack and a half a night. Normally I'd go through 3/4 a pack a day. Now I just want to end it. Every time I get stressed, I grab a smoke. Now, nothing is there to calm me down. But I'm on day number nine without one, and it feels great to say that.
Over the 3rd day hump. :tup :tup

Become an EX

Great website. People always talk about ending the addiction of cigarettes, but its not just that. It's the habits too. Smoking after a meal, smoking with a coffee, smoking while drinking, in social situations, etc. This website covers all of that, if you wanna take a look.

Kudos to you, keep it up

·
i haz teh titties
199 Posts
I always tell myself I'm going to quit and then buy myself another pack of smokes the next day. I get hungry as **** and I'm pissed off at anyone and everything. I did it cold turkey once though, 6 months and then my boyfriend at the time (who wanted me to quit in the first place) started smoking so off the wagon I went and have been for 2 years now.

Anyways, my parents hate the fact that I smoke so I won't do it in front of them (I'm going to be 23 years old tomorrow) I just don't want to hear them *****. I drove for 15 hours with them for Thanksgiving. I was grinding my teeth most of the way. FUN!

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
i quit mid august or so up until mid september. almost went a full month. then one of my old friends at home died and i started back up again. at one point i kind of wished my parents cared but w/e. every time i quit for more than a week or so i'd always get the thought that i would be able to buzz so i'd just have 1 cigarette or pack a tiny lip. then i'd just say **** it and start back up again.

just takes that 1 at least for me, no matter how long i quit for, the withdrawals hit back full force. just 1..that and the fact that i'd buzz off that one so i'd tell myself "just 3 or so a day".

that mentality just doesn't work.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well tonite wasn't so bad-its getting better. It's hard not to at work because everyone does it, and it was a social habit for me. Only had one point where I really felt the need to have one and got a little dizzy because I didn't. My brain and body both get moving, and then they expect that smoke to calm them down. Made it though. Tomorrow's day ten. Honestly, this is one of the best accomplishments of my life since I'm sticking to it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts