Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once upon a time I thought I would use a paintball gun to frighten deer away from my wife's flowers. Not wanting to run afoul of our state's Division of Natural Resources, I asked a local cop if shooting deer w/ a paintball gun was illegal. He paused, and then said, "We sure have a lot of multicolored deer in our community." Ok, so it was not an original idea.

I borrowed a paintball gun from a friend that looked like an assault rifle. A few days later I took my first shot at a big buck munching on our foliage. At that time I had no idea of the accuracy or the gun's range and I was shooting from about 75' away. The deer jumped and was in full flight as the paintball curved in it's flight ahead of the deer. He ran right into it. That has been my only hit.

After that, I bought a pistol w/ multiple firing modes. This thing (an older autococker) will hurl multiple balls every second downrange, and I can watch them curve up, down, right and left. Think about how subs fired torpedoes in WWII - they fired several in a spread a few degrees apart. The misses are more effective than a hit - the incoming rain of paint frightens the tail off most deer.

Alas, my old gun has fallen on hard times and now needs some TLC. I've joined here to learn more about the hardware and what I can do to make this thing shoot again.

· Administrator
15,010 Posts
I'm not seeing any photos so I'm not sure what you are working with. But that side, honestly it's going to be really difficult to properly tune an autococker if you have little to no experience working on paintball stuff. There's a reason airsmiths get paid quite well.

Once I know what you are dealing with I can try to diagnose and offer fixes if you want.

Another option would be to ship it back and forth to me and I can fix it up. I charge per job not by time so I can take my time and make sure it's done right

All that aside your accuracy issues are most likely 3 things

1) cheap paint
2) cheap/dirty barrel
3) welcome to paintball, accuracy sucks

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not seeing any photos so I'm not sure what you are working with......
Wow.

Thank you for your reply. I tried a PM to you last nite but the website said I was not permitted to do that. I might have failed the captcha test - taxi's were not obvious in the picture - or I might need a certain number of posts here. Should I just hover the cursor over your avatar and try again?

I'm not opposed to having you or another airsmith work on it, and that was one of my questions in the failed PM last nite.

My accuracy issues ARE due to a. cheap paint, b. an immaculately clean but oversized barrel, c.shooting at maximum range of paintball guns and d. I know these things do not have the accuracy of handloaded 30.06 at 1000 yards. If nothing else, it is amusing to watch the paint arcing in different directions while shooting on full auto. I do have a chrono, have handloaded and developed loads for some of my firearms and am not totally at a loss for what is going on with paintballs. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours on the website trying to learn PB nomenclature and catch up on different types of guns, valving, options, etc. I AM a PB novice.

My gun is a WGP Autococker Trilogy SF purchased in 2010 used. It worked well for years, but now it will not fire at all, it simply pffts pffts, without pumping enough air to fire the paintball. The problem with the gun is, I think, more serious that an upside down bolt or something equally simple. I even have the manual for this gun.

· Administrator
15,010 Posts
Do you know your tank is full? My first inclination is to check that. Sounds like you are either getting low pressure or low flow. Potentially you could also have way too much pressure. It's kind of a long story as to why that can make it shoot super low

If pressure it could be one of the regulators

Does the marker recock?

· Administrator
15,010 Posts
Could be either regulator, could be the lug adjustment on the hammer. Those are the things I would look at first anyway

Air it up and pull back on the bolt by hand. How hard is it to pull?

It should be difficult but not impossible, maybe 8-10lbs of force needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts