Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 550, 3.40 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, Socket FC-LGA 775-Land Boxed Processor with HT Technology
$339.99

Motherboard: ASUS P5AD2-E PREMIUM 925X P4 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 ATX MOTHERBOARD W AUDIO, DUAL GIGABIT LAN & RAID
$224.00

Video Card: ATI Radeon X800XL Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR
$299.99

Memory: ACP 1GB PC2-4300 240pin DDR2 DIMM Memory Module
$157.47 x2= $314.94
Hard Drive: Western Digital 200GB, 7200RPM, Internal ATA/100 Hard Drive
$153.70

Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Sound System
$129.99

DVD Player: Sony 16x Internal ATA DVD-ROM drive
$59.99

DVD Burner: Sony 16x8x40 Internal ATA DL DVD+/-RW Drive
$99.99

PLEASE RECCOMEND A KICK ASS CASE FOR UNDER $200

I havent ordered the parts yet, so make some suggestions if you think i should get something else. Btw, i cant go that much over 2000, cause i need a monitor and speakers that can keep up with this beast.

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
Is that processor and motherboard different pin sets? might wanna look into that... btw.. the higher number pinset is the newer and better pinset. Also, I hear some people don't like ASUS boards, but what do I know.

Is that hard drive "Serial ATA" because I hear that serial ATA transfers data faster than the regular IDE setup.

You might not need a sound card if your board has integrated sound.

Look at the Rosewill cases on newegg.com. I bought one and love it.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
yea go with a diff hdd definantly. go with a maxtor raptor 10000 rpm drive.

i'd ditch the intel dude, for gaming amd kicks intel's ass. get an amd athlon 64 bit and the pimpness fatality mobo.

swap memory too. you don't want three sticks thats just weird, you want it in pairs. and you want 2 gigs. two 1 gig sticks in a dual channel arrangment.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
get 2 or 4 sticks of ram... so you can run in dual mode. My computer *****es me out cuz I've got 3 (two 128mbs and a new 512) in it whenever I start up, but I've got to find $40 to get another stick of 512.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help. ill probably only get 2 gigs of ram now. i didnt realize that running 3 at a time could create a problem. i was looking to get a raptor, but the biggest i could find one was 74 gigs, so i ended up with the wd.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
backseatgunner said:
thanks for the help. ill probably only get 2 gigs of ram now. i didnt realize that running 3 at a time could create a problem. i was looking to get a raptor, but the biggest i could find one was 74 gigs, so i ended up with the wd.
Thats because they are designed to be used as a RAID which with your current MOBO is supported.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Looks like a winner BUT I would highly recommend going with a RAID array over a single hard drive. And whoever suggested going with the on board audio must not be a fan of quality.

·
^_^
688 Posts
Smitty said:
Looks like a winner BUT I would highly recommend going with a RAID array over a single hard drive. And whoever suggested going with the on board audio must not be a fan of quality.
Depending on how much he wants to spend, having one quality hard drive is going to be better than 2 mediocre ones in a RAID array, that being said, take a look over at Anandtech to see some real world #s as far as RAID performance in everyday tasks and game benchmarks, the difference is microscopic.

Also some new boards have Audigy 2's onboard heh

·
Rubbish!
797 Posts
backseatgunner said:
DVD Player: Sony 16x Internal ATA DVD-ROM drive
$59.99

DVD Burner: Sony 16x8x40 Internal ATA DL DVD+/-RW Drive
$99.99
Replace BOTH of those with any of these NEC drives. You'll get the exact same drive, exact same functionality (depending on which one you buy) and the exact same (if not better) durability and build quality. As far as price:performance is concerned, NEC kicks the piss out of Sony.

Don't get 3 gigs of RAM. Like others have pointed out, you'll experience problems, but it's also pointless overkill. It's going to be a LONG time before you NEED 2 gigs of RAM, and the computer you're buying will be outdated before it requires three.

Again, like others have said, get a Serial-ATA hard drive or you'll be kicking yourself later.

Ibreevesii mentioned the 10k rpm Raptor. It's an excellent drive (intended to be used in a RAID array), but be wary of heat. The Raptor produces significantly more heat than most hard drives, and on top of that, it's [relatively] sensitive to heat itself. A good cooling system will easily solve this problem (and no, more fans isn't always better).

As far as cases are concerned: Thermaltake, Antec, or (for the cost-conscious buyer) Aspire.

·
Registered
785 Posts
uhm.. Sony Drives?? What a rip.. get that NEC 16x DVD+/-RW Drive for less than 60. And then get a standard DVD-R/CD-RW drive for 52x read capability. oh yeah

NVIDIA > ATI

If you're going all out get a PCI-E 6800 Ultra (pic a company). X800 are consistently worse than the 6800ultra.

Ditch the Asus and get a Abit board.. pleaseee....

I have 75gb onboard HDD and a 120gb External. I wish i had another internal for RAID 1. If you set up your internals right, you can get more speed.

Oscarine, It is better to have multiple HDD that are fast, than one single drive. Set up correctly, seatch times can be lower.. like.. 1.75 times. Not quite double, but close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts