Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read the stickies but I still dont understand the diffrences between 12,14 and 16' barrels...

One of the links in the sticky said barrel length was mostly for porting and had slight advantages like being able to shoot from the bush...

So for a speed ball player wouldn't 12' be the first choice since its shorter which lets you get tighter shots off. Or does 2-4' really reduce the sound of shots that much?

·
Administrator
14,020 Posts
So for a speed ball player wouldn't 12' be the first choice since its shorter which lets you get tighter shots off. Or does 2-4' really reduce the sound of shots that much?
a lot of it is the design of the barrel itself, and between 12" barrels and 16" barrels its really just personal preference, anything under 12" you will be getting louder and anything over 16" you will be losing efficiancy.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
while a 12 inch may be more quiet, a longer barrel is not about sound; it's about preferences. Let me give you an example of why you would want a longer barrel over a shorter barrel and vice versa.

Woodsball; you've chosen a location that has thick brush surrounding you, paint can't hit you but you can't shoot out of it either. With a longer barrel, youre' able to pock through said brush and get a shot off.

Speedball; your'e playing on an air filled back bunker and you are the guy who is supposed ot be keeping a heads up on there the other team is so you can let your team know. you can push a longer barrel into the side of the air filled bunker so your gun is always up, but you expose less of yourself to shoot.

Shorter barrels are great for playing tight positions where you dont' have much room to move. I've played in locations liek these with a 16 inch barrel and let me tell you, it's awful. your barrel is always getting caught in plaes o onthe ground, etc.

All in all if you can't decide get a 14 inch barrel:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah okay thats exactly how I was picturing their usage after reading the sticky lol.

Thanks for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts