Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. First off, I would like to say that I have read through all of the stickies here (big thank you to everyone that took the time to write all that stuff. Lots of good information in there.) but I am still not 100% sure what marker I should buy. OK, let me rephrase that: I'm not sure which marker I WANT to buy. I know that I SHOULD probably buy a Tippmann A-5 or 98 Custom, but honestly those markers just don't thrill me. I don't know if it's the fact that I saw them for sale at Wal-Mart or just that I've seen too many upgraded ones that look like imitation M-16's. They may be extremely reliable and all that but aesthetically, they're just not quite what I'm looking for. Of course, functionality should be the most important thing but looks should play a part too, no? Anyway, I'm hoping that the experts here can perhaps steer me towards a great marker that will serve me well for quite a while. I have been playing paintball for only a few months now but I absolutely love it. I have played only at one field so far and they usually play 4 or 5 games of woodsball and then 4 or 5 games of hyperball and alternate like that all day. I prefer woodsball and would like to spend more time playing that, but time will still be spent on the hyperball field. My play style is more aggressive; I like to be up front moving around instead of hanging in the back. I think I'd like to spend no more than $400 - $500 on my first marker. This being my first marker, I don't want/need anything too complicated but I do want something I can be happy with for a few years.

I appreciate any help anyone can lend to me. It is much appreciated.
Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At this point, I think I'm leaning towards the Diablo Wrath, one of the recommended markers on the sticky. Can anyone say anything bad about this gun or throw out a reason why I should look at something else?

Thanks
-Chris

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
I'd suggest a spyder vs1 over a diablo wrath. the main reason is that the VS1 can use co2 without buying anything else for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, that's good to know. I appreciate the info. I actually have my list down to these:

• Spyder Pilot ACS
  • Spyder VS2
  • SmartParts Ion
  • Diablo Wrath

Still doing a lot of reading/research but I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
-Chris

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
the ion, vs2 and diablo wrath all require the use of HPA or just as expensive(or more) co2 regulators.
I'd take the vs1 over the ACS any day.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
The VS1 is definitely your best choice out of those guns.

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah Vs1.

but you can always find cheap deals on good hpa tanks, locally and online.

if you decide to spend the extra 60 - 120 bucks for an n2(hpa) tank, then the ion or Vs2 would be your best choice from the list you made.
You can always run n2(hpa) on the Vs1.
It will help you to buy hpa in the long run though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so I'm still looking in to this, but the main reason to avoid certain markers is because of C02 vs HPA, correct? And the only reason to stay with CO2 is because its cheaper?

Am I on the right track here?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
cheaper, lasts longer and can be filed at more places. It sonds lik you play more away from a field than at a field so it's pretty important for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I play at the same field all the time and they have free CO2/HPA refills. Well, I guess it's not technically free, it's just included in the fee you pay to play at the beginning of the day. (hey, I'm a poet)

So, doing a little reading in the forums here, I have come up with this:

CO2
  • Cheaper
  • Dirty gas?!?!
  • stored in the bottle as a liquid, and must expand to a gas to power most paintball guns
  • has problem in certain weather
  • lighter
  • more efficient
  • less maintenance
  • Easier to use
  • Best propellant for newbies to use because HPA won't provide them any advantage since they won't fire the gun enough to have shootdown, or notice the FPS problems.
  • More shots per fill (Liquid CO2 stores much more gas then HPA per volume)

HPA (compressed air) (N2)
  • More expensive
  • Cleaner gas
  • always in a gaseous form, thus making it more stable and more consistent when powering a paintball marker
  • Less Shootdown
  • Not effected by cold weather
  • Does not harm pneumatics
  • built-in regulator

(I stole all this info from the forums here, BTW)

I'm probably going to be doing most of my playing in the cooler seasons since it gets unbearably hot/humid here in the summer. I just don't want to regret not going with HPA a year down the line and then have to spend more money then to upgrade. I'm hoping to buy something now that will last me a while. Being a noob however, do you all think I should absolutely postitively stay away from HPA?

Thanks again.
-Chris

·
Registered
178 Posts
if you are going to be playing in cold weather, i would bite the bullet and just get HPA. It really is worth the extra money. Even for a noob it isn't really difficult to understand and you seem very competent. as for a gun, if you decide to upgrade to something better in the future you wont have to spend more money on an HPA tank. I would go with the VS2 thats on your list, followed by the ION.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. That's kinda what I was thinking, so it's good to hear.

So how about the VS2 vs the Ion XE? Think I should still stick with the VS2?

Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm really no expert, but i would probably go for the ion xe because you'll be playing in the woods alot. The vs2 has an open bolt, which makes maintenance easier, but you really have to be careful about getting dirt in there, because it'll scratch up your internals. The ion xe has the new BOB system so it should be easy to clean anyways.

I'd wait for an expert opinion though.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Meh, both are good, might just go with the VS2 though, since it's a blowback marker, the most reliable system in paintball :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I think I'm going to go with the VS2. I found one for $135 on Action Village. I'm assuming it doesn't include a tank, correct? How much should I spend on a decent tank and is there anything special I should know about buying one?

Thanks again.

-Chris

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
It does not include a tank

Steel tanks are cheaper and heavier, very few shots off of them to boot (steel tanks only go up tp 3000 psi)

Fiber wraped tanks can be either 3000 or 4500 or 5000 psi, and much more expensive, and are much lighter, 4500 and 5000 psi will yeald more shots per tank, fiber wraped 3000 psi tanks are just lighter compared to their steel counterparts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, looks like I can get the Spyder VS2 and a PMI 68ci 4500 PSI HPA NITRO Fiberglass Tank for $320.00. I guess it's time to "converse" with the wife. :eek:

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. You guys rock.

-Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm in sorta the same boat as you just I have been playing paintball longer. I have really no idea about middle class or higher end markers. I own a tippman 98 c but i wanna get something better. I am really wanting to get a PMR (proto matrix rail). They are like 250 and from what I have read and talked to other people about they are great markers. I'm looking on ebay because there is some sweet deals out there. Just make sure you dont buy someone's junked up one. But I think it only takes n2.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts