Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to reformat my computer. i have downloaded so much crap, some of which i cant even find anymore. i want to reformat, but the problem is: i dont want to delete my music folder, or my documents folder! is there a way i can back up certain files? i dont have a dvd drive to burn an image. but any suggestions would be fine!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
just burn everything u want onto a cd...

b4 u reformat...call the company (dell, hp, compaq, etc) and tell them to walk u thru it....thats wut i did and it helps cuz they wont make it so that u have a whole buncha **** on the comp that u dont want

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
if you have a 2nd computer you can pop your hdd into it and copy over the files(or do it over network). burner works too.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
i would get another computer, take out its hd, stick it in your computer, back up anything you want to keep onto the other hd, take the second hd out, reformat your computer, stick the other hd in and transfer back w/e files you need

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reformating is not like deleteing so its not selective. It is removing all the entries in the FAT thus making it a pain to recover things once they have been formated.

I agree those that say to burn a cd. Burning backup cds is like samuel adams beer - Its always a good desicision. But if you are using a recent version of windows flash drives are good too.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the problem is: i want to back up my music folder which is 10gb. i think i can use my DellDJ as an external HD, but im calling dell to confirm that. i think if i download Dell Explorer, i can take the songs off my mp3 to the computer. thats at least what one of the options on the software was. once i find out i think ill just do that..

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
^ beat me to it.

my personal fave way if a computer is totally F'd is to slap the hdd into my computer, that works best. but if i can network it, i just copy files over the network.

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
I just reformatted a computer like 2 hours ago because my friend picked up the new MSN Messenger virus. It's not a beautiful thing

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
Puck3d Up said:
I just reformatted a computer like 2 hours ago because my friend picked up the new MSN Messenger virus. It's not a beautiful thing
That might be true about a lot of things, but most definitely not your avatar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts