Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Refurbed Imagine/Chopped Balls

872 views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  themajesticking 
#1 ·
I just bought a refurbed Imagine and I have tried about 4 different ball companies in and it has chopped all of them. I have a VL revy, progressive barrel, 20oz tank, and everything else stock. I have lubed all the O rings, turned down the velocity, and shot very slowly. It's still chopping. What am I doing wrong? I have seen people talking about ACS bolts(delrin) but will that help my problem or do I need something else? Is there a temporary fix or something simple?

#2 ·
check to see the the dendents are good. it sounds like theyre not holding the ball in place like they should be.

find the black plastic piece ont he left side on your body, unscrew it, take it off your body adn wipe it down. make sure the metal piece pushes in and slides back out easily. if not, you'll be needing to get a new one.

#3 ·
Mine chops balls as soon as I put it on auto.

#6 ·
Ummm. Maybe you can't tell but I'm a supernoob. "you detent's aren't working" sounds like a different language to me. Thanks for the help though. I like this site compared to others.

#7 ·
Plastic things inside the breech of your gun...

Are you sure they were chops and not barrel breaks?

They would look like this but could be clear:

You can stick your finger in your feedneck and feel them or stick your finger into where your barrel screws onto your gun and feel them. If they are bent at all, that is your problem.

#8 ·
Well, when it chops(or whatever) it spatters up the feed neck(elbow) too so it seems to be chopping behind the barrell. I really wouldn't know what a barrell chop looks like. The barrell seems fine.

#10 ·
Pretty crappy paint but nobody else was choppin. My friend bought some walmart paint like Scorch, Brass Eagle, and two other companies from the local paintball shop but he has a Tippman 98C and his brothers both have Viewloaders and they didn't chop any even shooting fast. My gun chopped shooting like 4bps. It didn't chop the scorches that bad but it did chop 1. Pissed me off. My friend's Tippman hasn't chopped a ball yet.

#11 ·
big_balla89 said:
They would look like this but could be clear:

I thought that the imagine had ball detents?

you probably just need to clean the detent. It gets paint and other junk stuck in it, and then it doesnt work right.

#12 ·
Well it should look like this: http://www.kingman.com/section/support/diagrams/spyder_imagine.pdf

The ball detent is underneath the '4G'-part. (press ctrl+f to search for 4G)
There is supposed to be a little nickle ball inside that is pushed out with a small spring.
You only need a screwdriver to take it of.

If not, there is your problem.
Check it out and come back to tell us.

#13 ·
OIC. I know what you're talking about now. I took that off and cleaned it whenever I had a chop but I don't remember seeing a nickel ball on the inside though. The other side pretty much looked like the outside. No different.

#14 ·
themajesticking said:
OIC. I know what you're talking about now. I took that off and cleaned it whenever I had a chop but I don't remember seeing a nickel ball on the inside though. The other side pretty much looked like the outside. No different.
Then buy a new one.
It might solve all your problems.

#17 ·
MonkeyWiz said:
??
I don't understand that...
It should be the same as mine according to the plans.

Sorry kid, I can't help you anymore.
Not all imagines are the same. they changed it up a little last year.

themajesticking- If your velocity was too high, then that very well could have been the problem. Is it working now?

#18 · (Edited)
sick_dawg5440 said:
Not all imagines are the same. they changed it up a little last year.

themajesticking- If your velocity was too high, then that very well could have been the problem. Is it working now?
I didn't know that. :looking
My detent looks like this:

Oh, well....
So did the velocity change make the difference?

Tou could go HERE and enter your question.
They should know. thumup:

#20 ·
I haven't fired it since.....He told me that a "rule of thumb" is to turn the velocity knob out until you see the o-ring. Then turn it back in until you can't see the o-ring anymore. He said the detent was fine. And yes my detent looked like the picture monkeywiz posted. Other than that he said it looked fine and shouldn't be choppin balls by looking at it on the surface. I will be shooting it this weekend and I'll update you guys.
BTW: I had the velocity knob out pretty far. When I first got it, it was all the way in. I turned it out to about halfway and that's where I kept it all this time. I have no way to measure it and I don't really have sufficient shooting area either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.