Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 old school pre 2k cockers and both of the stock regulators are leaking out of the pin hole on the side of them. I don't understsnd what I'm doing wrong. I took them apart and the O rings look fine, does anyone have any ideas.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
yep, that's what autocockers like.

If you have any DOW33 or radio shack gel lube, I'd use that on the regulator, but I don't think it's a big deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the help. I've been out of the sport for about 15 years now and gettitg back into it. I have bought 5 cockers in the past month and kind of troubleshooting them and learnig all over again.

·
Administrator
14,041 Posts
ya, you can never tell if o-rings are good just by looking at them, they are cheap, replace them if they are in question.

lube on the regulator, oil in the rest of the marker. oil in the reg wont hurt it but it wont stay on the o-rings for very long

also, are they shooting at all? if could also be that you have the reg too low or too high and it is venting

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, they are shooting. One in particular has an issue, it's all over the place. It's not shooting correctly. I've timed it and messed with the velocity, I don't know what else to do. I have a guy at the local field that is going to look at it for me. It shoots the ball out like 30 ft.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Welcome back to the world of autocockers! They're a unpredictable beast. I love how they work, but they can be such a pain.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
Yes, they are shooting. One in particular has an issue, it's all over the place. It's not shooting correctly. I've timed it and messed with the velocity, I don't know what else to do. I have a guy at the local field that is going to look at it for me. It shoots the ball out like 30 ft.
So you're shooting proper velocity but it only goes 30 ft?

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
This is going to sound stupid, but is your bolt flipped upside down? the air hole should be facing the trigger frame, not the feed neck.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'd troubleshoot the regulator with a pressure tester. Sounds like HPR may not be regulating, which could cause exactly your results if the gun isn't sprung for high pressure operation.

Not just o-rings in these guys - they have reg seats, too, that can fail.

Welcome back after a long hiatus, btw! E-guns nowadays are much more prevalent (and better than they were in the late 90's, that's for sure). Try them out if they interest you, but do what's fun! I have a handful of 'cockers, myself, and mostly shoot one of them or a pump.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just went out and played for the first time with my new cockers and all of them drop balls out of the barrel after I shoot. What's wih that ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I can shoot them over and over again. But when I stop shooting there is always a ball in the chamber waiting to fall out.

·
Administrator
14,041 Posts
Thats normal, cockers are a closed bolt system so they load the ball into the barrel and then wait to shoot. if the barrel is not sized to the paint there is a loose fit. That in itself is not a problem on a open bolt marker because the detent holds the ball in place before shooting but on a cocker the ball has already moved past detent and is at rest in the barrel.

if you run a barrel kit and size the kit to the paint you should not see this happening anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,222 Posts
I've always wondered why an autocockr doesn't have a second detent where the ball sits in the breach.
Because the cocker was adapted from the sniper, which was originally used with 10 rd. tubes. So a single detent was more than sufficient to keep it from double feeding, since as soon as you chamber a paintball, it's past the detent anyway, so that's ALL it's for, is to prevent double feeding.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
I understand that to detent on a cocker is to prevent double feeding, but why not throw a second detent on it to prevent the balls from rolling out? Or would that detent need to be positioned where the barrel threads are located?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts