Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No idea if i spelled it right, anyway.

Anyone got any good information about these engines? I've gave up on cyclinder engines along time ago. I'm not a power freak or anything, I'm just interested in rotary engines is all and google isn't helping me too much right now..

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, what costs more is labor, because not so many people know how to work on them:) if you read though, some say it isn't so hard.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
i live in the boonies and i know a guy who tears em down and crap. they're used in the mazda rx series.

he actually knows of a local car that was a throughbred race car. twin turbos and the like. the thing has a tach that goes to something like 30k rpm. thats just what i'm told, so don't flame me.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
30k RPM!?! I need Dooms or someone of the like to back me up on this, but I really really doubt that. I think F1 cars only (lol, only) reach like 10k-12k.

Anyway, rotary engines have come a long way. From what I've heard/know, they use to be pretty unreliable when they first came out, just because it was new and not many people know how to diagnose/fix them. I'm sure they've come a long way, and the RX-8 (and 7, for that matter) are really nice cars.

-Jin

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
the design itself of the rotary engine allows it to rev insainely fast, and to extreme rpm's. considering that my poor old camry redlines at over 6k i wouldn't be overly suprised of a race bred and built rotary could do 30. like i say tho, this was only what i was told.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
i know F1 cars start the scratch around 20000 rpm. Not sure on exact (besides all the engines are different since they like to do thier own stuff and try to outdo each other, those competitive bastards.)

heres a site about the 787B, the le mans car by mazda that used a 4-whatever rotary. Insanly fast. http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/787B/ (EXTREME DEATH TO 56K!!!! took a min to load all pics w/ my fast cable)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
:yikes you silly people. you couldn't make it within 100 feet of me and my arsenal! you'd get hit by .303's from 100+ yards out, .30-30's form 100 yards in, .22's when i'm feelin mean. and a 12ga or a .357 mag if you actually make it past all that :looking

:naughty :D

<3 u guys.

·
Registered
778 Posts
lbreevesii said:
:yikes you silly people. you couldn't make it within 100 feet of me and my arsenal! you'd get hit by .303's from 100+ yards out, .30-30's form 100 yards in, .22's when i'm feelin mean. and a 12ga or a .357 mag if you actually make it past all that :looking

<3 u guys.
Right :rolleyes:

Anyways back on topic. I think rotary motors are pretty cool, but I just don't understand enough about them. My friend just got a low mileage 93 TT RX-7 and wanted me to help him with some under the hood stuff. He came by the house and when I popped the hood I immediately shut it and told him to find someone else. The engine compartment is the biggest rats nest I have ever seen for car motors.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
My uncle had a 93 RX-7, very neat little car. It kept up pretty well with my other uncles 1994 Viper when they used to play around. The wankel is a really awesome engine, excellent for the small light cars that need as much power as possible without a lot of weight. The engine isn't perfect though it needs to inject oil, which means it burns oil. The RX-7 motors burned quite a lot of oil, especially when driven hard. The new RX-8 version doesn't use as much, however it cannot be turbo charged like the 7's motors without a lot of work and i'm sure problems. I'm sure if it has as much engineering put into it as piston engines it could be great, as it has a lot of potential. Maybe if Mazda came back with the 7, kept the 8 too, and Nissan or Honda did some work with the rotary it could really shine. Until then i'll stick with my 6/8/10/12 pistons over 2 or 3 Rotary pistons. If someone would mate a wankel with CVT it would be amazingly smooth, i'm sure it would be really impressive.

As to 30,000 RPM's, i've heard of them doing 25,000 so i'm sure 30,000 is possible.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
lbreevesii said:

<3 u guys.
Lol, thats ok, well just get Bubba and Alpha. Ooops. Said too much. Have a nice sleep though, you may not get another ;)

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
hey now, they're on my side!

the dude who was tellin the story(note word usage) said he drove the thing. said it was just insainely fast. according to him it actually would hit the indicated rpm's. like i said, just his story. and this was a full throughbred racecar, not a souped up streeter.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
lbreevesii said:
hey now, they're on my side!

the dude who was tellin the story(note word usage) said he drove the thing. said it was just insainely fast. according to him it actually would hit the indicated rpm's. like i said, just his story. and this was a full throughbred racecar, not a souped up streeter.
Lol I know, I'm just screwing with you. I beleive that a wankel can rev that high.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts