Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
That's because RPM's are a package that isn't meant for a Debian based system. RPM's are to RedHat and Fedora as .deb's are to Debian and Ubuntu. If you can, try and find the package that you're speaking of in .deb instead, or look in Synaptic to see if it's already in the Ubuntu repos. If you can't do that then you can use alien to make a .deb out of a .rpm. I've used alien a handful of times and had success probably every time but one. What are you trying to install, if you don't mind me asking?

One of the things that makes people think Linux is "harder" is package managers. It's not that it's hard--in my opinion it's actually easier--it's just foreign to them so they can't wrap their head around it. They aren't used to having packages all together in one place for them. What they are used to is having to scour the internet, find the file .exe they want, and install. The fact of the matter is, with most Linux distros you simply don't have to do this.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I disagree. Typing "sudo apt-get install xxxxx" and pressing enter if it asks if you want to use the drive space seems a lot simpler to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts