Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a rubgy club at my school and the meeting was today. it is a team but not school-sponsored (probably because of liability). There is only one team, no JV or Varsity.

I was by far the smallest kid there. Most that showed up were seniors, and I am a freshman. A lot were the starting football varstiy lineman for my school. i am around 5'11 and 160 lbs. decently strong. however, there is no question that I would get the living sh*t beat out of me.

I am willing to take the beating, cause i think the sport would be fun. but i am concerned that i will be so outclassed that it wont be fun at all. should i do it?

p.s. i should add that i did do football this year but not varsity, and the team will be competing in a highschool league.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i am pretty big

12th grade

kids asked me to go to rugby meeting cuz me big

i go, 8 people wanna play
we need at least 18 :(

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Play back... those guys are all sprinter types. I played wing forward in teh scrum at 5' 7" and 200# and I loved it.. You don't need to be a huge brute to play outside the scrum. Great sport.. I never got hurt playing once and I played for a year and a half. Walking home from practice and games... well lets just say that climbing stairs while impaired can be dangerous, as are radio towers, fences, and girls dormatory drainpipes. I still have a few scars from those "moral imperatives".

They seemed like a good idea at the time....

Rule Brittania!!!! OY!

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
try it out, if you get the living crap beat out of you and have fun, then you probably wont care. If not, then you can always quit and say that it was worth a try.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Do it. Seriously.

At your size/height you could be an average size winger or even outside center and when you get better a flyhalf. Rugby isnt ALL about size, its about how hard YOU are willing to hit, and how hard YOU are willing to run.

If u are fast that will be a definite plus, and if u arent, work on some sprints. But seriously, go out there and play. If you are afraid of getting tackled, dont play. Thats part of rugby. Matches average over 300 tackles per match and if you arent up for that, then rugby is not the sport for you. But seriously at least give it a few weeks and play some scrimmages and matches with the team before deciding what you will do.

If u are like most people, youll get a taste of it and never be able to get enough.

Oh yea....have fun :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts