Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of using Petro based diesel, I think since I'm in the market for a vehicle, and I run across a diesel, I might run it on.

1. Bio fuels (mixture maybe)

2. Cooking oil

or

3. Grease.

The problem is i'm not too savvy with this stuff. Anyone here have any good reliable information on doing these? Particularly running it on used Grease.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The problem you have is:

1. If you drive more than you can make, downtime/lack of time to re-make the stuff is a *****.

2. Federal tax evasion and other laws become and issue

3. Vehicle warranties are come and go. Cummins stands on the fence on whether it's ok to run bio-diesel etc.

To me it's all good in theory and if your life happens to be based on that theory, then by all means go for it.

Running regular No. 2 is just too easy and convient right now. Diesel motors will be around longer than regular gas motors, so I figure once all the stations start converting over...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Plus diesel is refined better, you are running grease through the injector pump. It is cheaper but clogs easier, another thing grease kinda like hardens when it isnt warm..... you need additives and heaters and all kinds of stuff and this only prolongs the unevitable. I have read that even though as great as it is the engines only last half as long if that..........

·
Registered
778 Posts
MedicDVG said:
I tell you what though, with diesel at $2.79 a gallon, and cooking oil is free, if I had a diesel I would do this tomorrow.

Why are there tax issues? Its not like you are buying the stuff for fuel, places give it away...
Theorectically what you get from the deep fryer you are taking to use for fuel. Taxes become an issue if the govt thinks you're trying to get away without paying the highway tax. Since the only money you're spending is what you pay for in your chemiclas etc. The govt doesnt like it when you find away around their taxes. Some people ahve received letters asking for tax reimbursements, to stop making it period once you reach a certain yearly amount etc.

For me, going out and buying or making a machine. Then having to spend time I dont have to constantly make fuel to keep my truck running, then needing the supplies, etc etc. $2.39 isn't all that bad for me to pay, when I look at the whole picture.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It is the same reason red dye was made.......... to see if companys or diesel owners were using TAX free diesel in there highway equipment........ like david said Highway tax is avoided........

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Master of Paint said:
That whole concept is very interesting. Can you expect to get the same mileage using this conversion, or will it decline/increase?

My uncle (who I'd ask but lives out of state), said he got a couple miles higher per gallon than he does with regular diesel..

Really, the only reason why I'd want to do this is because there is a whole lot of grease in this town. We have alot of fast food places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts