Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's likely that nobody on this board will know how to help me with this as it is kind of particular, but it's worth a shot.

Most of the time when a hard drive's SMART status goes bad, that means your drive is taking a dump on you and to back stuff up and get yourself a new one...I know that. We had a HDD go on us about 6 months ago...the computer it was in is running all fine and dandy with a new one and all is good. The problem is...I have a 160 HDD sitting around and I REALLY want to use it. Samsung won't replace it because it was sold as part of a system...Emachines won't replace it because they're lame.

I want to know, what PHYSICALLY went wrong with this drive so I could maybe tear into it and repair it on my own. You can find junk drives for a dime a dozen if you look good enough, so if I could figure out what actually inside the drive **** out on me I could probably take that out of another drive and get this one up and running again. I only plan on using it as an "archives" drive (keeping all of my cd's, dvd's, etc, backed up on) and would only be plugged in when I need to get something off of it. As it is now, it is detected and sort of works, but it takes FOREVER to do anything and pretty much at any time could take a dive and stop working all together.

So...anyone?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
TonyD said:
I want to know, what PHYSICALLY went wrong with this drive so I could maybe tear into it and repair it on my own.
not going to happen. if you open it its just about trash unless you are in a clean room

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I might destroy it since it's already no good....

Back when G4 was still TechTV and cool they had a thing on The Screensavers about how to destroy information forever. Apparently some companies find their information so sensitive (I think the one they were talking about was Adobe, but I can't remember for sure) that they grind their old HDDs into dust, put the dust in a jar, and lock that jar away in some basement.

I'm happy just prying and smashing the **** out of it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
TonyD said:
I think I might destroy it since it's already no good....

Back when G4 was still TechTV and cool they had a thing on The Screensavers about how to destroy information forever. Apparently some companies find their information so sensitive (I think the one they were talking about was Adobe, but I can't remember for sure) that they grind their old HDDs into dust, put the dust in a jar, and lock that jar away in some basement.

I'm happy just prying and smashing the **** out of it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hNQ280Zkk4

Just hack it with ramzi so NO ONE will be able to steal your data.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I use them as skeet, then take the pieces and torch 'em. Not becuase my data is sensitive, i do it just becuase its fun.

And yes, you can get an HDD open, its extremely easy. Just take out a couple screws on the top and it should pop right off, i've done it. But Like someone above me said, you get dust in there and its screwed, that and the fact that any repair would be so tiny, plus you would have to find the damage.... its pretty much impossible. Just find a fun way to destroy it, like explosives.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts