Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys and gals.

A question. Maybe a very stupid one, but still, could not find any mention on it around the web. Has anyone ever heard about using SABOT rounds in paintball??? Yeah, I know what you gonna say - why on Earth an idiot wants to use SABOTs in paintball... Well, I have a reason - a big and very stupid idea of using mag coil gun for paintball sniper rifle :ninja: I got some experience with coilguns, but designing a SABOT shell for paintball going take some doing, so I thought I ask if anyone went there and failed miserably :). What I have in mind is 4-6 electronically controlled coils and a long, about 30 inch rifled(?) barrel. The paintball is launched at about 400 fps (muzzle velocity) inside a teflon sabot with a NIB magnet in the base. I guess the sabot will have be flower-like, designed to open on exit from the barrel - it will a) release the ball b) drastically increase drag and slow the sabot down. The idea is not to make a uber-weapon - it will be big AND slow-firing, but to make a real sniper gun - limited magazine capacity (5-10 shots), powerful and nearly silent (coils, not air, remember :)).

What you think? Any use going into sabots?

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,774 Posts
Tom Kaye from AGD looked into different shaped and cartridge type paintballs at one time. They can of course be made in any shape, it is just a question of how to make something specialized and profitable.

Good luck on your research

·
Registered
243 Posts
@ 400fps if the teflon dosent come apart like it was designed it could cause some serious damage not to mention the electro magnant you are thinking of using would have to roughly quarter inch thick and quite expensive

any ways the problem with coils /springs is that you couldnt find 4-6 coils with exactly the same resistance not to mention the size of copacitor you would need not to mention the power source you would have to carry with you it's just not suited to a fast paced game of paint ball you would be out befor you started

heres a desighn i drew up of the mag coil gun observation shows with every thing charging system launch control probably a 2-4 farad fast draw capicator you just not practical or a logical solution

check out this video on youtube it's kinda the same idea you are thinking on

YouTube - Coil Gun Video - Featured on Hacked Gadgets but thats wuite alot of power going through that gun not so goos for a rainy day of woods ball lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
paintball coil gun

Hello guys and gals.

A question. Maybe a very stupid one, but still, could not find any mention on it around the web. Has anyone ever heard about using SABOT rounds in paintball??? Yeah, I know what you gonna say - why on Earth an idiot wants to use SABOTs in paintball... Well, I have a reason - a big and very stupid idea of using mag coil gun for paintball sniper rifle :ninja: I got some experience with coilguns, but designing a SABOT shell for paintball going take some doing, so I thought I ask if anyone went there and failed miserably :). What I have in mind is 4-6 electronically controlled coils and a long, about 30 inch rifled(?) barrel. The paintball is launched at about 400 fps (muzzle velocity) inside a teflon sabot with a NIB magnet in the base. I guess the sabot will have be flower-like, designed to open on exit from the barrel - it will a) release the ball b) drastically increase drag and slow the sabot down. The idea is not to make a uber-weapon - it will be big AND slow-firing, but to make a real sniper gun - limited magazine capacity (5-10 shots), powerful and nearly silent (coils, not air, remember :)).

What you think? Any use going into sabots?

This is what you mind?
YouTube - FIRST REAL PAINTBALL COIL GUN BY Carpy.T and Jugg[/b]

Carpy.T

·
Ghillie in the mist
71 Posts
Well, if you want to do that, it's more efficient to use a bridging accelerator and a nonmagnetic projectile (use a conductive bridge to push the round out of the barrel, and also to connect the two halves of the coilgun).
As for sabot rounds... That might be difficult to do. Maybe .50 caliber with a .68 sabot, but I don't know how much a .50 would weigh, so I can't do the math.
If you can find the equations, then you want an absolute max of 13ft-lbs of barrel force. A .68 pb marker at 300 fps has about 11 ft-lbs, for reference, and permanent/serious injury usually occurs at 15ft-lbs.

Also: for consistent shooting speed, you'll want an expansion chamber or HPA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts