Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
PbF Administrator
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get paid my regular pay for doing it. It's fun and i get to sit in a comfortable chair for 4 hours.

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
hope no one pees on you.
Is that just a joke or a reference to Fast Times at Ridgemont High? ... Out on a limb I know but... maybe... ;0

Cross the christ outta christmas and ya get Xmas. I wonder if that's how 'xmas' came about... hm.. xmas is what I always say anyways.
I don't know either, but I always thought it was because ol' Jesus was crucified on the cross and an X is pretty much a cross so thus Xmas instead of Crossmas...

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Where does the word "Xmas" come from?

In our language "X" can stand for many things, including a kiss or something unknown. But "Xmas" doesn't mean that no one knows when Jesus was born. Xmas is simply a shorter way to say "Christmas." The "X" stands for Jesus, or Christ, and "mas" is a shortened form of the word "mass." But Xmas is also more than an abbreviation; it is an example of the way the first Christians tried to convey a great deal of meaning with very few letters.

The use of the letter "X" to stand for Christ goes back to an anicent Greek tradition. "X" is actually the Greek letter "chi," which is the first letter of "Christos," the Greek word for Christ. Using our alphabet, the Greek word would look something like XPICTOC; in Greek the "R" was written like our "P" and the Greek "S" was often written like our "C." Thus, in early Christian writing and art, the letter "X" or the combination of "XP," the first two letters of the word "Christos," were used as an abbreviation to refer to Christ. Sometimes, the letters were combined into a monogram that looks like a single design.

The word "Christmas" can be traced to the 11th century; the shorter Xmas came into use about 300 years later and has been popular ever since. The X-shape is also symbolic of the cross, an early sign used by Christians.

Duh guys, everyone knew that. :rolleyes:

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Where does the word "Xmas" come from?

In our language "X" can stand for many things, including a kiss or something unknown. But "Xmas" doesn't mean that no one knows when Jesus was born. Xmas is simply a shorter way to say "Christmas." The "X" stands for Jesus, or Christ, and "mas" is a shortened form of the word "mass." But Xmas is also more than an abbreviation; it is an example of the way the first Christians tried to convey a great deal of meaning with very few letters.

The use of the letter "X" to stand for Christ goes back to an anicent Greek tradition. "X" is actually the Greek letter "chi," which is the first letter of "Christos," the Greek word for Christ. Using our alphabet, the Greek word would look something like XPICTOC; in Greek the "R" was written like our "P" and the Greek "S" was often written like our "C." Thus, in early Christian writing and art, the letter "X" or the combination of "XP," the first two letters of the word "Christos," were used as an abbreviation to refer to Christ. Sometimes, the letters were combined into a monogram that looks like a single design.

The word "Christmas" can be traced to the 11th century; the shorter Xmas came into use about 300 years later and has been popular ever since. The X-shape is also symbolic of the cross, an early sign used by Christians.
Duh guys, everyone knew that. :rolleyes:
That's what I'm talking about! rollin:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts