Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i had math exam today and the person next to me..( who is not smart at all, hes always asking me for help and stuff) anywayz he was puting chapstick on the side of the scantron where it puts the checks for if its wrong or not, and i asked him what the hell he was doing.. He said the machine wont read the lines so it will leave them blank which will not leave a mark saing the answer is wrong... i did not believe him.. so he gets his grade and it is A+ 100%, and all he did was guees on every answer which took him 5 mintues and smear chapstick on the lines that say do not write on at the left side.

just wandering if anyone tried this be4.

·
PBF's oldest newb
1,618 Posts
it works i believe, but usually the teachers can see the stuff on there if they look for it

·
Registered
373 Posts
Some kid in my Health class said something about smearing chapstick on a scantron to get them all right, but I thought it was just a rumor. If it works, I'm sure that teachers will just start checking for chapstick, even though they should notice it without really looking for it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The kid used a clear chapstick, it wasent the red or strawberry kind.. It wasent verynoticable.. It just made the paper a little bit darker. I just thought it was funny how he marked everyanswer as a guees. he just wnet down the scantron marking it.. Heres one reason though why im mad that he got away with it.. He turned the paper in after a half hour.. No one else finished the test intill another half hour later.. I would have waited intill some people turned theres is.. Then he shows me the 100% and my mouth just dropped.. :rofl

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i did not intend to post this to get people ideas, and i did not do this cheating. it was someone in my class. Just thought i would share it because i think its funny...

352 Posts
thats awsome, oh and nice double post there p8ntballweird :)

·
12,110 Posts
Why would the machine go and mark the answers wrong, THEN tally them up? The marks are just there for you when you get them back.

I'm with FlashLCD.. I looked it up a while back and it said it was a myth

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I really want to test this, too bad I don't know where I can find one of those machines.
Maybe back home at one of the highschools.

It doesn't seem like it would make sense. If the chapstick stops the machine from seeing something, it seems that it would pass over it completly- as if it were blank. That would give out 0's instead of 100's.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I believe what he is talking about is running a stripe down the left side. When you get a question wrong it puts a hash mark next to the corresponding number (on the left) So, even though it reads the question as wrong, it is unable to mark it. Therefore, if the teacher totals the hashmarks down the side, they will get zero. HOWEVER, most machines print the total questions missed in a box on the otherside, and the teachers go by that, which should accurately report the questions missed.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
from what i just read lol what that does or is said to do is make it so it doesnt know where to scan so it will get no marks at all on the paper or 100%

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Are you talking about the blue/green kind with 50 answer slots on each side, and the answer bubbles are little rectangles? Or is it the standardized test kind with the big bubbles... on those blue/green things it prints what the correct answer is on the right side (along with a tally mark on the left side), then how many you got right and your grade at the end, so i don't see how it would work on those... I'll just assume you're talking about the other kind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts