Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - new to this forum... Always a reader, but never had anything useful to post until now...

I've recently decided to go dual full auto with double DPG5's - a wonderful experience! I started running out of paint way too fast...
So I got dual Pinokio loaders, and an 8 tube harness - great.

Then I started running out of air too fast... What to do?

I got my hands on a SCBA tank (like the one firefighters use) - huge capacity, and it was comfy strapped to my back... But getting the air connected was a pain...

I happen to be good on a lathe, so I researched the thread specs and all related stuff for high pressure applications, and developed my own SCBA to paintball regulator direct adapter.

I wanted to share this wonderful piece of equipment... I made up 4 more on the lathe - all to spec, solid brass. If anyone is actually interested in purchasing one of these off me, please let me know.

·
Administrator
14,029 Posts
first off, welcome to the forum, it is not some super freeway with a million users but there are a handfull of us regulars on here and it is pretty low key but we like it that way.

second, I would love to see this thing you have made, can you post photos?

how are you regulating the air?

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The adapter screws in to the SCBA tank and provides threads for a regular paintball regulator to screw in... It's regulated the way any other paintball tank is regulated... I'm using a guerrilla air 4500 reg in mine right now... Works perfectly :)

Trying to post pics but having issues... Will try again in the morning.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
What sort of apparatus would you use to attach this to your body? How large of a tank is it? I know a guy who would be interested in this.

And because I don't know much aboutmetal, will the brass be able to withstand 4500psi safely?

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My current tank is about 192 ci if I remember correctly - it's a Draeger- carbon fibre woven stuff like all firefighters use... Very similar to the Scott tanks.

I cleaned it up real nice then sprayed it with two coats of black leak seal, which gives it a nice rubbery feel - very grippy.

Then I modified my harness (with remote pouch at back) with three 1.5" Velcro straps which I treated with silicone (anti slip) and between the silicone and leak seal coating it doesn't go anywhere!

Most high pressure fittings are made of brass because of its strength and corrosion resistance. Chances are your regulators are brass coated with chrome to look pretty. It is very safe. Plus all the regular safeguards that your paintball regulator have still work the same.

The only downfall of brass I guess is that it isn't very hard so if you're a bully with the wrench you could strip threads or round off corners... It's been solid for me, and I have another friend setup with a similar SCBA rig - he loves it. We both play big scenarios and wear that thing on our backs all day - never a problem.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
You coated the outside of your tank with grip material? You'll not be able to get it hydro tested ever again unless you remove it; it'll immediately fail the visual inspection. (as I understand it)

·
Registered
347 Posts
the tank is a 415 cubic inches and was designed and used mostly in the air rifle industry to refill rifles.

the reg can be a normal ninja reg to run a gun like you see but we also can put in a reg that outputs 3000 psi to refill bottles in the field.

come to living legends and find out about msonic!

·
Super Moderator
3,815 Posts
You coated the outside of your tank with grip material? You'll not be able to get it hydro tested ever again unless you remove it; it'll immediately fail the visual inspection. (as I understand it)
potentially. depends how thick the paint is. if they're unable to see the condition of the metal, then yeah. you're SOL when the life of the tank is up.

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose I could strip the leakseal if I wanted to - Its a carbon fiber tank, not a metal one. I think I'm near the end of its life though... Even if I didn' paint it, the silicone treated straps would still hold it well - I liked grippy and black, so I went for it. I'd like to take some pics and post...

Carbon fiber bottles have a 15 year total lifespan anyways. I'm not so sure about the visual being a fail if the tank is painted... Most tanks are paitned anyways, aren't they? Deep gauges are what they look for on the outside... Then they insert a cam to inspect the interior too.

Trying to post images -don't know if this will work...

I see that I can link to images, but is there a way to upload from a local file?

·
Administrator
14,029 Posts
Carbon fiber bottles have a 15 year total lifespan anyways. I'm not so sure about the visual being a fail if the tank is painted... Most tanks are paitned anyways, aren't they? Deep gauges are what they look for on the outside... Then they insert a cam to inspect the interior too..
true but if you are painting to cover up gouges how will they know they are there? See the problem? Most people would not do something like that but the rules are there not because of most people anyway.

it may not matter but if it does you may end up having to strip the paint off

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry for my poor spelling in my previous post - was rushing that one...

I concede that I may need to strip it. Not a big deal - if I have to, I have to. It looks nicer for now :)

Do you know if I can upload pics directly to the forum? Or must I post them up somewhere out there and only link?

Please let me know.

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rechecked my tank - thought that 192ci seemed small in hindsight. Yep, it's more like 550ci - that's much closer... It's a "60 min" Drager- previously used by firefighters.

That's why this SCBA adapter rocks. I can go through 2 cases of paint before needing to refill.

I suppose there's potential for me to connect a whip and charge others' tanks on the field too...

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
come to living legends and find out about msonic!
I regularly converse with him and played the last two years. This year unfortunately, it's not financially viable for me to do so. I'm sure he'll be showing me his setup if it's new. His old setup is pretty sweet, and we all learned that the furthest cascade tanks required a SHP regulator in order for it to work. Interesting stuff.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
I would have been interested, but I think our SCBA's use a different type of thread. They are older MSA tanks, like this.

Its neat that you did this though.

I was planning on going to LL8 but somehow I ended up in Florida instead. I am going to start planning and saving for next year though. Maybe I will have time to get a nice setup for my brother and myself. I'm thinking a nice pair of automags. Only cost about $800 a piece for what I was wanting to build. :dodgy:

·
Heavy Gunner and techie
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm - that MSA tank probably has 7/8" threads on it - standard SCBA threads... My adaptor fits that :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts